Odd intonation problem

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by MingoDubbelweid, May 5, 2008.

1. MingoDubbelweid

MingoDubbelweid Member

Just switched from Ernie Ball Beefy Slinkys (11's) to some DR Pure Blues Mediums (10's) on my Tele '72 Deluxe RI. I expected to have to adjust the intonation a bit, and did so on 5 out of 6 strings. My D string, however, is way off... I adjusted the saddle towards the neck as far as it can go, and the fretted note at the 12th fret is still flat.

What could be the cause? Could the string itself be bad? I've never had this happen before (been using all sizes of EB Slinkys for years, and I thought I would try the DR Pure Blues, since I love the heavy ones (12's) on my Gretsch.)

Thanks for any advice :BluesBros

2. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

The string would be my first instinct. DR gets mixed reviews as far as string consistency for guitar, but people (myself included) really seem to dig their bass strings.

3. operanonverba

operanonverba Silver Supporting Member

You might check your truss adjustment. With the 10's your neck is probably flatter now. I'm no expert but this would stretch your distance for harmonic making you have to put the saddle closer to the neck. Try putting some relief (loosen) the truss a touch and see if it helps. Just a theory.

4. jman

jman Supporting Member

i'd try another string if you can't easily intonate it-sounds like a bad one to me from your description...i had the same thing happen not long ago,but it was the same gauge as i was using before.

5. David Collins

David Collins Member

Yes, the string itself could be bad - with as many strings as I change, I see bad strings right out of the box all the time from all brands and styles.

It could also just be the DR's. They're made different, they feel different, and require being intonated very differently. Ironically though, DR's are the only string where I commonly find the A ending up further forward than the D, very different from what you're describing.

If it's still notably flat, my hunch is a bad string. No guarantees though.

6. MingoDubbelweid

MingoDubbelweid Member

Yes, it is strange that it's just the one string... the others required minimal adjustments, so I don't suspect the truss rod, as someone mentioned above. I'll try swapping in a new string... might have to go back to the Slinkys!

7. trisonic

trisonic Member

I used to use DR STrings all the time - for a period - until I began to get strange intonation problems when installing new sets - I used to go crazy adjusting the guitar until I realized the strings were causing it.

Best, Pete.

8. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

I have heard more comments abou intonating DR strings than any other brand of strings, almost always the D string.

I frequently use DR 9.5's on my Tele. I don't have intonation probs on that guitar with DR strings, but people seem to have more problems with some DR sets. It's gotta be the way they're made.

I do like the way they feel and sound.

Dana O.

9. MingoDubbelweid

MingoDubbelweid Member

Replaced the D string with one from an identical set, and it's fine now. Weird; not sure if I'll buy these again for my Tele. The harmonics seem to be all over the place. The heavy set works great for my Gretsch though...

10. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

had the exact same thing happen recently, when a customer brought in a strat with the three wound-string saddles dialed all the way towards the neck. sure enough, they were still flat at the 12th fret, and they were DRs. a string change to something else, and all was fixed.

it may be due to their being wrapped on a round core, as DR says that stretching them pretty much at all will break the windings loose from the core.

11. MingoDubbelweid

MingoDubbelweid Member

It's a shame, because I really like the sound and feel of the wound strings. I wonder if there's a way to string the guitar (I don't know, more carefully or something) so that it doesn't happen?