odd noise on 12-17 frets

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by PEAVEYPOWERED, Feb 24, 2009.

1. PEAVEYPOWERED

PEAVEYPOWERED Member

Okay, so i have a Peavey Cirrus 5 string bass, but im sorta broke so i bought it used. ive put new strings on it (DR hi beams) and set it up and it plays incredibly!

but whenever i play the twelfth fret on the D and G strings, (and i mean playing the open note, then hammering on the twelfth fret, or the 13th, 14th, 15th, all the way to 17th), i get this noise that is a half-step lower than the note, and it is very annoying. ive tried lots of things, but it still does it.

has anyone else had this problem? (if so, any remedies?)
    :argue

2. guitargod0dmw

guitargod0dmw Member

Adjust the intonation...

3. Bryan T

Bryan T guitar owner Silver Supporting Member

What you are hearing is the string on the other side of your fretting finger vibrating. Try fretting the note normally and then plucking the string on the other side of your finger. That's the sound, right? Fortunately, that doesn't come through the amp, though it can be distracting acoustically.

You could work on your technique so that you fret the note with your middle finger and use your index finger to mute the string. You might also look at the truss rod, as a truss rod that is too loose can make this sort of thing more prevalent.

Hope that helps,
    Bryan

4. PEAVEYPOWERED

PEAVEYPOWERED Member

okay thanks, i cant hear it through the amp, like you said.

it is the other side of the string, so i need to tighten the truss rod?

5. Bryan T

Well, that really depends on how the relief is set and how high the nut is. If there is too much relief and/or the nut is too high, then the string can vibrate on the 'other' side. Obviously, this isn't really a problem that the truss rod is designed to solve, so prescribing a truss rod adjustment just to fix it doesn't make a lot of sense. How much relief is in the neck right now?

Bryan

6. PEAVEYPOWERED

PEAVEYPOWERED Member

holding the straight edge up to it, about 4mm

7. Bryan T

That sounds like too much relief to me.

8. PEAVEYPOWERED

PEAVEYPOWERED Member

ok ill tighten it a tad, see how it does.

i probably changed the gauge of string on it, considering that i bought it used, which probably screwed it up.

thanks for the help!

Jeff