Odd pedal failures. Strange coincidence?

CoKid

Silver Supporting Member
First, I’m using a Voodoo Lab PP2 as my power supply. My effects chain starts off like this: Sonic Research Turbo Tuner > Barber Tone Press > Timmy.
There are several pedals following the Timmy in the chain. Last night I simply turned on the the power to my board and I noticed that both the
Timmy and Tone Press LED’s were on. I was pretty sure they were off the last time I turned off the board since it’s usually my habit to switch all pedals
off before I cut power to the pedalboard.

When I tried to switch the Timmy off the LED became brighter (normal brightness for when it’s ON). When the pedal is ON, it seems to work but the sound is
muffled. Signal passes clean when the switch is not engaged but the LED stays on albeit slightly dimmer.

Here’s the strange part. The Tone Press exhibits the same behavior! No pedals that follow the Timmy in the chain were affected. Oddly, the Turbo Tuner which is first in the chain was not affected.

I have no idea what happened here. I’ve since connected other pedals (that I really don’t care about much) to the same power cable (from the PP2 / same outlet) that the Timmy was connected to and all worked fine. I’ve turned the board off and on and can’t recreate the problem. I’ve swapped a battery in the Timmy and Tone Press which made no difference.

I wonder if I somehow got one kind of power surge but that seems unlikely since power goes through a Furman strip before it hits the Voodoo PP2.
What could possibly happen that would only damage two pedals in my chain. Why would the first pedal (Turbo Tuner) be spared. Why no other pedals?
Is it just some strange coincidence? Seems unlikely. Any time I've had similar issues it was usually a bad switch.

I've sent off e-mails to both Paul Cochrane and David Barber to get any insight they could provide and also plan to send the pedals in for repair.

Just wondering if anyone here has ever seen anything like this or has any ideas as to what may have happened.

codetocontra

Sorry to hear about that. I can't help, but I am curious:

Is this the original PP2, not the Plus version?
What outlets were the pedals powered from?
Can you measure the voltage on the problem terminals?
Is it possible the dip switches were bumped on the bottom?

lefort_1

Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt
Platinum Supporting Member
Do the Timmy and Tone Press share the same tap on the PP2? ie are they daisychained?

if so, do you have a battery in the Tone Press?
The Barber website gives very explicit instructions that this should be done.
Sounds like a loose battery snap could short inside the box in a manner that is not healthy for the unit. I could be wrong, but...

and, I'm assuming, it could be a problem for anything else that is daisychained with it.

I don't have access to accurate schematics for either (too lazy to search tonight) but it might be worth taking a look inside the Tone Press...and either put in a battery or wrap that snap with some electrical tape.

CoKid

Silver Supporting Member
Sorry to hear about that. I can't help, but I am curious:

Is this the original PP2, not the Plus version?
What outlets were the pedals powered from?
Can you measure the voltage on the problem terminals?
Is it possible the dip switches were bumped on the bottom?
Original PP2.

The pedals were powered from the 2nd and 3rd outlets.

I did not get a chance to pull out my meter and test the problem terminals.
I plan to do that tomorrow though.

Dip switches were the first things I checked and they were not bumped out of position.

CoKid

Silver Supporting Member
Do the Timmy and Tone Press share the same tap on the PP2? ie are they daisychained?

if so, do you have a battery in the Tone Press?
The Barber website gives very explicit instructions that this should be done.
Sounds like a loose battery snap could short inside the box in a manner that is not healthy for the unit. I could be wrong, but...

and, I'm assuming, it could be a problem for anything else that is daisychained with it.

I don't have access to accurate schematics for either (too lazy to search tonight) but it might be worth taking a look inside the Tone Press...and either put in a battery or wrap that snap with some electrical tape.
The two pedals are not daisy chained and not using the same outlet.
There is no battery in the Tone Press, in fact, I wrapped electrical tape around the terminals. I do this to all of my pedals when I use a power supply.

Thanks for the replies...

lefort_1

Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt
I just re-read your OP...and I'm not sure, but is the problem a one-time thing (cannot be reproduced)?
When I re-read the OP, it could be interpreted that way...sorry, it's been a long day/lots of snow/power-glitches, etc on my end.

axdxm

Silver Supporting Member
If they have 9.1 v zener diodes for protection, check the continuity.

CoKid

Silver Supporting Member
lefort_1, So far I have not been able to reproduce the problem. I tried plugging in some other pedals (that are not valuable to me) and turning on/off the power to the PP2 several times and have not had any issues. Understand about the long day. No problem. Been dealing with extreme cold and snow here a lot lately.

I'm guessing that something has gone flaky with the PP2 but who knows? I will get my meter out and do some testing tomorrow when I get a chance. I've got a couple of weeks to get this sorted out before the gigs start up again. I have a Tim I can use in place of the Timmy and can make it by without a compressor.

CoKid

Silver Supporting Member
I checked the PP2 with a multimeter and the voltage reading for each outlet measured at the barrel connector (input for each pedal) came out at 9.1V on each so it's not the PP2 that's the issue. I guess I can't be sure that something may have gone haywire with the PP2 for a brief moment but I doubt it. I've also tested the pedal connect cables (Lava kit) and they seem fine as well.

lefort_1

Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt
I've got no idea on the design internals of the PP2, but I have seen some designs where an internal relay became stuck and required a few power-cycles to come back to normal operation. If something like that lifted your ground, but kept the v+ engaged, you could expect some bizarre behavior (the pedal would still find ground through the cables to other devices, but it would be poorly coupled to the PP2 output.

Anyway, here's to hoping it doesn't happen again, and that no permanent damage is ever done to your pedals.

CoKid

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks lefort_1 ! I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for a while and also carrying backups. Next full band gig is 3/14 so I have some time to sort hopefully sort this out.

codetocontra

It would be worth your time to contact Voodoo Labs regarding the issue. They may (or may not) be aware of any sort of issues that you have had. There may be a solution, or direction to look. They may even ask to ship the PP2 to them so they can dissect it.

I don't believe in coincidences. 2 pedals fail at the same time...most likely explanation would be power supply failure. That is NOT condemnation for Voodoo Labs, in fact I have a PP2+ and like it. But, "If it was made by man it will eventually fail." I am pessimistic by nurture.

Last edited:

CoKid

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks codetocontra. Will contact Voodoo Labs soon. Will be traveling for the next couple of weeks.

Trending Topics