Odd Request: Need small tweed amp, also for bass

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by JMayerFan, May 25, 2008.

1. JMayerFan

JMayerFan Member

So this is quite a strange request, but my dad, who plays bass, wants a smaller amp for in our basement thats very old looking so he wants a tweed amp.

I play guitar and am set for amps, but I'd use it more than he would. So we're thinking of getting a guitar amp and just having him practice really low on the guitar amp.

Whats a good low wattage amp, relatively cheap 800 or less, that will be OK for bass but good for guitar?

Tweed Blues Jr.?
    Victoria maybe?
    Deluxe Reverb
    old bassman? no idea what year they started gearing them more towards guitars though.

Thanks guys,

Brandon

2. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

I would look into a cheap bass cab. I play bass with a guitar head running into an old Ampeg 1x15" that I picked up on Craigslist. I would be worried about blowing the speaker if you used the guitar speaker.

Fender bassman heads would work for this. I dunno if you can afford a cab and a head though for 800. And it wouldn't be tweed.

Also with a lower wattage amp, the bass will be distorted. So I would consider looking into a higher wattage amp, unless you dad doesn't mind bass distortion.

You could just put some tweed on an old Peavey bass amp and tell him its old! And with the leftover cash buy a Ceriatone.

dk

3. mbetter

mbetter Member

Fender Tweed Bassman RI. Not low wattage, but they sound great for bass at low volumes.

4. JMayerFan

JMayerFan Member

Ya I guess I can cut the requirement of low watts, especially since the bass will just break up even sooner. I'll have to test drive some Bassman RI's, haven't played through one in awhile, nor with a bass for that matter.

Brandon

5. FFTT

FFTT Member

I've used my Blues Deluxe for low volume bass many times.
    Money permitting, I do plan to eventually upgrade the speaker
    to something a bit more bass worthy, but it's fine as is for low volume
    jams and rehearsals.

6. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

Find a used ALamo Fury! Great for both and a killer vintage sound.

The bassman head would be great for bass ,but, you might want two identical cabs,1x12 & 1x12 for bass. Or you could find a used 59 bassman reissue.
    But the head is great for not rattle the tubes & bass would be even heavier punishment than normal. But the straight silver face with those two cabs would hand both. This amp is preety loud, 40 watts.

Look at the reissue bassman first.