Odd results from pedal expectations..anyone else?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Mooncusser, May 20, 2006.

1. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

Hey all,

Any one else here run into this?
    I was planning on spending a fortune on higher ended pedals,
    planning on capturing a particular tone.
    The tone I was shooting for was a JIMI live at the Isle of wright/Monterey tone. Well, you may not believe this, but after some serious tweaking, I stacked a RED visual sounds Jeckyll & Hyde w/ a Fulltone '69.
    It was a complete bullseye, and I am harsh on myself for tone critique!
    I kept playing the album and comparing the tone and was astounded that I had achieved it, in fact, It was so close it sounded as if if my tone was nothing but a stero effect of the performance.
    I usually scour the effects & things emporium in search of the perfect pedal, but after that happened last week, I kept having to remind myself "Don't fix what isn't broken!"

Have any of you achieved results from componets that you really didn't think had the capability to produce what you were after?
    Let me know, it will be interesting to hear.
    Best regards, Mass

2. radcliff

radcliff Member

This Fulldrive I just bought blew my Timmy right off the board...I'm going to start looking at more Fulltone. They've been there all along!

3. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

I have the '69 and it's unreal.
    Don't hesitate.
    I always wanted to try the Fulldrive...
    but there I go again...haha!
    Peace, Mass

4. Ronsonic

Ronsonic Member

Around here, we're a bunch of gear hounds and pedal fussers who tend to forget how difficult this isn't. Ya plug a guitar into some likely stuff and play it until it sounds right. Instead we overcomplicate things with our expectations and attention to nuance that just doesn't much matter when you're talking about standing in front of an amp and rocking your ass off.

Jimi didn't really get to pick and choose all that much. There wasn't much out there. He used a fuzz face because that's what there was in stores that didn't suck, it worked better for him than the two other fuzzes that didn't completely suck. He didn't have to or get to choose a flanger, chorus or phaser, he got a Uni-Vibe because that's what there was.

We have all these options and think we need to choose very carefully, when in fact there are hundreds of nonsucking pedals to choose from, beyond that it's mostly how you play.

Ron

5. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I've experienced that with a few now.

My silver Jekyll & Hyde, I use all the time, but started playing with the Jekyll (I think it is...I always confuse them, but the dist side) side and adjusted the voicing (EQ knob) on it, maxed or just shy of it, and was very surprised to hear a, to my ears, really accurate typical Marshall sound coming out of my Fender HR DeVille (and later out of my Peavey Classic 30). I had mainly been setting the gain low, EQ mid or even CCW, and tone wherever...for slight distortion.

It's always fun to take a pedal, ESPECIALLY one you have been using but mostly in the same way with the same settings for a while, and try to pretend you just got it and do unexpected tweaks on it!

It's also nice to do what you did once in a while, take some tone from an album (or another pedal) and try to match it. It is great practice for getting to know the pedals.

Recently I did this with my reverb pedal (EBS Dynaverb) which I love, but has no "spring" setting...(had three kinds each of plate, room, and hall) but still, I actively tried to see how close I could get to the built-in spring reverb on the Deville and...to my ears, I nailed it and it sounded BETTER. I was doing this to see if I could duplicate it on my non-reverb Bassman and I did. That surprised me.

Also recently bought and returned a Boss RT-20 I had high expectations of. I found I could duplicate it's sounds (again, to my old ears) but BETTER, with my VS H2O chorus side together with EITHER my Mojo Vibe, or my Deja Mini vibe...and they sounded better to my ears, so even though I thought the ramp up/down was a cool feature, I realized it isn't that often I wanted to do that, or that it would be noticed in my band so I returned the RT-20.

Recently found many more sounds out of my OLD FL-9 flanger, which I have had on the shelf for 20 plus years. I bought it in the 70's I think, or latest in the early 80's, and now I find I can adjust it much better and get lots of sounds.

6. Jungleman

Jungleman Member

Yes, they were one of the first builders that started the whole boutique thing...

I've owned 2 different Full-Drive 2's, an Ultimate Octave, a '69, a '70 and a Supa-Trem and I ultimately need an Octafuzz. The '69 (in combination with one of the Full-Drives, now replaced by a Banzai Fireball 2) has been my main dirt pedal for 7+ years, nothing touches it for what it does. The first time I opened the '69 to change the battery was nearly a religious experience: its layout was so sparse and build quality so extreme I nearly cried. I almost felt cheated, too: the smallest amount of components producing such wonderful tone.

7. radicool

radicool Member

A couple of days ago I was playing some of my stuff, and I think the combo of guitar, pedals, and amp I was using cost about $2000 - small money around this board, where a lot of folks have amps alone that are on the far side of $3000. Well, last night I was playing a rig I have that cost only $400 total, and you know, I had just as much fun & enjoyment out of it as I did with the more expensive stuff. The tone - and by tone I mean the amp's tone - wasn't quite as good, but it wasn't 5 times worse, either.
    I thought it sounded great, and it sure made me think about the point of diminishing returns on some of my investments.

8. jamison162

jamison162 Member

Which FullDrive did you just get, and are you running 9V or 18V?

9. Don L

Don L Member

When I first stacked two 808s together back in the early '90s just out of curiosity. It sounded much better than I had anticipated.

10. radcliff

radcliff Member

I bought the very newest version, which has Flat Mids, Vintage, and Compcut, on a toggle switch.

I don't want to start another "bashing Timmy" thread, but here's why it knocked off Timmy:

The Timmy can be very hard to tweak live, I find the treble control to always be perfect or not enough, while I seek out that nice flat grainy rhythm sound, which I usually leave on all the time, as I use a 100W amp that can't break up.

So the FD comes and it nails that grainy sound, to my ears, on Flat Mids, and with the tweaking of the tone knob, I'm able to immediately pull what I want from it. I use it at a gig that night, and love it, no hassles through the gig. Basically I was able to make the FD sound just like the Timmy with half the work, and I knew I had two ENTIRE sections of the pedal left for finding cool sounds. So Timmy went to the bay.

11. woude

woude Member

I have both the fulldrive (10th anniversary) and the fulltone 69, and I think I'll never sell these. I had the chance to play a lot of similar pedals at different pedal-parties and at some dealers, but nothing surpasses the 69, or dare I say MY 69,because I hear they vary from unit to unit. Especially the newer custom fulldrives are so extremely good at what they do! The mosfet mode makes the pedal very transparent and I always tought that was the only thing that could be improved on for the fulldrive. I'm not looking for other overdrives to replace this. If I buy another one it's going to be next to the fulldrive, never in it's place.

12. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

Hey, now...that's just crazy talk. :NUTS ;)

My problem is even more extreme -- I keep trying pedals, using them for a while, and then wind up going back to guitar - cord - amp, because I always feel like I start playing the pedal, rather than the guitar.

Doesn't mean I don't keep trying. :D

13. StompboxMan

StompboxMan Member

I have a Lovetone Cheese Source. It a combination pedal of a Big Cheese Fuzz and a Brown Source OD. The way the pedal is laid out, I plug into the right side Brown Source and there's an output from the left side Big Cheese. I thought I was playing OD into fuzz.

Then I find out the Cheese Source is fuzz into OD. It sounds better just knowing that. Fuzz into a breaking up amp, OD sound is rock legend, that Hendrix sound.