Odd ringing (harmonics) on low E of new Strat...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by mojoslide, Jan 31, 2008.

1. mojoslide

mojoslide Member

I just got a brand new American Deluxe V Neck Strat and everything sounds great except when I play the low E string open. It's in tune fine and doesn't buzz or anything...But when plucked it sounds weird. Like you hear more of the harmonics than normal - the fundamental note is still there - but it kind of sounds like multiple notes (but not that exactly either). Just kind of ringing odd. It does come through the amp some especially on clean tones. None of the other strings have this issue. I've had other guitars do this slightly with heavier strings but never this much. BTW, every fretted note sounds fine on the low E (and all other strings). I'm guessing maybe it has to do with the nut slot? Has anybody ever experienced this? Any solutions? I really like the guitar, but if I can't fix this issue easily I'll be exchanging it. The guitar is completely awesome otherwise so I want to give it a chance.

2. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

Hmm. Did you try to rest your finger behind the nut as you play some notes? See if that takes care of it. It could be the angle, or just the string itself. I'd try another string and wind with a little more wraps to get more a bit angle.

If those things don't work, maybe the pickup height causing some weird things?

3. mojoslide

mojoslide Member

I did try holding the string behind the nut but it didn't seem to help much. I'm definitely going to try a different string and also will add a little more slack to wrap it around the post some. I forgot to mention that I had tried lowering the pickups which did nothing. That was my first thought actually when I heard the sound. But I guess something just isn't allowing the string to ring right. Hopefully I can figure it out and get it fixed because the guitar really is top notch otherwise.

4. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

Maybe try tuning it down (or up) a little, and see if it's the pitch that causes the weird tones. I had a PRS that hated one particular note no matter what I did.

5. Rosewood

Rosewood Member

Sounds like a nut problem, could be the angle of cut in the slot, not enough angle at the post as buddastrat suggested. Play around with different wraps at the post before anything else, then check the fit of the string in the slot and the way it's cut. If non of this pans out start looking for a vibration caused by the low E not, maybe even the trem springs.

6. gdomeier

gdomeier Supporting Member

Stratitis? Try the second definition here

7. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Gold Supporting Member

Bingo! :AOK

What the article didn't explain is how to fix it. Lower your pickups (usually the neck pickup is the worst offender) on the bass (wound strings) side. This should take care of it.

8. mojoslide

mojoslide Member

Would this only affect the open low E string? As soon as I fret a note, it goes away which is why I was looking at the nut. I'll definitely mess with the pickups more and see if it solves the issue though.

9. Mrgearguy

Mrgearguy Member

It actually can effect all the strings, but the low E is the worst because it is the lowest tension (more excursion) and has the most mass (more magnetic attraction.)

The neck pickup has the most effect because the string moves more the further it is from the bridge.

Lower the pickups and you're good to go.

10. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

Not only the low "E", but more so there than on the other strings if the bass side of the pickup is too high. ALL strings will be affected if the pickups are too close to the strings.

To check the nut, press your fingrenail down on top of the string where it passes through the nut - if that stops it, you need to cut the nut slot right.

Hope this helps, Dana O.

11. mojoslide

mojoslide Member

I'm just hoping it's a bad string or something simple...I'll test everything out tonight and see what I come up with.

12. dave251

dave251 Member

Hendrix actually uses "stratitis" on several of his slower tunes. Listen to the low notes on some of his ballads and you can hear it loud and clear. Sounds cool...."Wind Cries Mary" is one that comes to mind.

13. Kelsey

Kelsey Member

The SCN pickups have pretty low magnetic pull on the strings, so unless they are exceedingly close, I'm not sure this is a case of stratitis. It can't hurt, and it's free and easy, to adjust the pickup height as noted above to be sure.

14. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

Simple enough to check. Bad strings definitely crop up and can cause all sorts of annoying issues with intonation and odd tones.

Bryan