Oddfellow FX Caveman Drive vs. OCD

rufe

Silver Supporting Member
OCD + A Few Minor Tweaks + Uncontrollable Boost + $50 = Caveman Drive

I thought it was verified on FSB that the Oddfellow was the same schematic with a couple of tweaks. There is definitely a gray area to all of this. I think people are more inclined to give a pass to Oddfellow, since the Caveman was reasonably priced.
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/1464611

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/1450816

http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2014/06/oddfellow-effects-caveman-drive.html

ufo~

This ought to be good. :munch

Personally, I don't get all the hype surrounding the OCD. Unfortunately it has so many fanboiz that they immediately run to its defense if something "close" to it shows up around here. Those links are good for a laugh but don't take them seriously. I've actually played both and the Caveman rips the OCD a new one. Period. Letting my ears decide... it hasn't left my board in several months. Unmatched, imo. But I'm not taken seriously here so decide for yourself. They can be had pretty cheap right now.

tremolo3

Someone please buy OCD, Caveman Drive, Freakish Blues, Joyo and mooer clones and run a blind test =)

reo73

Gold Supporting Member
I have both a Caveman and an OCD v1. They are very much in the same tone camp with a few small differences. The Caveman is a little more liquidy in its gain structure and has more bottom end which makes it good for lead line playing but less desirable than the OCD (IMO) for crunch chords. The OCD seems to retain more clarity with chords. Overall both are great ODs and excel in different ways. Not sure how the Caveman would compare to current versions of the OCD.

rufe

Silver Supporting Member
This ought to be good. :munch

Personally, I don't get all the hype surrounding the OCD. Unfortunately it has so many fanboiz that they immediately run to its defense if something "close" to it shows up around here. Those links are good for a laugh but don't take them seriously. I've actually played both and the Caveman rips the OCD a new one. Period. Letting my ears decide... it hasn't left my board in several months. Unmatched, imo. But I'm not taken seriously here so decide for yourself. They can be had pretty cheap right now.
FWIW, I can't stand the OCD. Nor have I tried the Caveman, so I don't have an official comment on it.

I'm constantly surprised at how many "What's TMG?" comments that happen on here despite the flood of threads that have taken over this place for weeks at a time. Same with Vertex. Same with this. So I was offering some threads on this topic that was once a big deal around here with a sarcastic summary of what they say- I can't tell when people are trolling and when people are genuinely asking a question. But there's plenty of thoughts (though not many good ones) of OCD and Caveman drive around here since it is the same circuit with some tweaks. The second 'jumping off the bandwagon' thread actually has some people who played both in it that comment. And the first is simply letting the OP know that they are, indeed, decently close since they are the same circuit if he didn't already.

Last edited:

midwayfair

I did a circuit analysis of the differences and similarities here:
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/18214127&postcount=124

From this thread, which also contains some other useful information -- and plenty of nonsense, too. Version 1 of the Caveman at least was a modified clone, warts and all, of a pedal that was itself a modified clone of the Voodoo Labs overdrive. The changes between the VDOD and the OCD are minimal (the MOSFETs don't really make a difference because the clipping diodes in all three circuits are ze goggles ...) up until the addition of a pretty lousy tone control that created impedance issues that didn't exist with the VLOD. The Caveman kept most of the OCD circuit and increased some treble and put the switch that changes the tone control's cutoff frequency on a switch.

The Caveman got a redesign according to some other threads.

leblanc74

I had the Caveman and did notice it had the same tone of an OCD that I also had before, so I was not to pleased with it I brought it to a local guitar store for a trade in and since they are Fulltone authorized dealer. The owner told me that Fulltone send out an email stating that they will take away all their products of its shelves if they ever saw a Oddfellow caveman drive from the stores inventory... with that being said the owner refused my trade offer and this was my first time that he refused my trade from all the times I have been there..

dllb

Someone please buy OCD, Caveman Drive, Freakish Blues, Joyo and mooer clones and run a blind test =)
My friend bought into the hype thinking that the Caveman had that mystical boutique mojo from some guys basement and that it was a unique overdrive that "doesn't sound like anything else". He got one and ranted and raved about it ad nauseum and wouldn't stop telling me about the amazingly unique tone and "fat, chewy" overdrive texture. When it was discovered that it was an OCD clone, he claimed the Caveman had a "sweetness and warmth" to the tone that the OCD lacked. I did a blind test with him with an OCD he already had. He couldn't tell the difference between the two when he wasn't looking at them, but he STILL claims the Caveman sounds better after we did the comparison. :bong I've concluded that my friend is a retard. :rotflmao

ufo~

Glad to see a few sensible posts coming through. I knew I wasn't the only one that felt this way.

I've concluded that I'm a retard. :rotflmao
Fixed that for you. :aok

Your friend is smarter than you give credit for.

ufo~

The owner told me that Fulltone send out an email stating that they will take away all their products of its shelves if they ever saw a Oddfellow caveman drive from the stores inventory...
HAHAHA... HA! That's rich. You Fulltone shills are hysterical. :rotflmao

Pazz

Everybody has a favorite pizza place. The "other" pizza place takes bread, sauce and cheese and makes pizza, just like your favorite pizza place does, but it just isn't as good as the bread, sauce, cheese combo your favorite place serves. You have every right to like one pizza more than the other, even though they have the same ingredients.

I'll admit that I don't know much about the circuits that make the pedals sound like they do. My opinion is that if they sound different, they ARE different.

Choose you pizza and move on.

BrandonAy

The Caveman's a good drive. I still use mine. I might even buy the V2 coming up. I don't uh... feel as strongly about it as some others, but it sounds good. Thick. My Caveman doesn't sound nearly as good as it does in Gino's demo, but that's because I have no talent.

The V2 will probably be +200 bucks so keep that in mind. I'm sure the OCD is also good.

Dicky

My friend bought into the hype thinking that the Caveman had that mystical boutique mojo from some guys basement and that it was a unique overdrive that "doesn't sound like anything else". He got one and ranted and raved about it ad nauseum and wouldn't stop telling me about the amazingly unique tone and "fat, chewy" overdrive texture. When it was discovered that it was an OCD clone, he claimed the Caveman had a "sweetness and warmth" to the tone that the OCD lacked. I did a blind test with him with an OCD he already had. He couldn't tell the difference between the two when he wasn't looking at them, but he STILL claims the Caveman sounds better after we did the comparison. :bong I've concluded that my friend is a retard. :rotflmao
this could be the best reply ever

scolfax

Silver Supporting Member
this could be the best reply ever
Well, aside from the retard part... I think this example shows the power of a great demo. The guy playing on the Caveman demo was amazing, and probably sold a ton of pedals for them.

Trending Topics