Oddly nervous for a gig tomorrow. Suggestions?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Magicpad, Jan 10, 2014.

1. Teleplayer

Teleplayer Moder8er Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

As others have said, preparation is the #1 key. If you are comfortable with the material, know your parts, have good relationships with the other band members, and are also comfortable with your gear - things usually go fine at a gig.

Included in your prep should be things like: 1) Making sure you have a backup guitar and amp, 2) knowing what you will do if you break a string or something happens to your axe or amp during a song, 3) etc.

Take care of and address as many potential "unknowns" as possible before you go onstage. Mitigate your risk.

As Pete Thorn said in his article, make sure you and the band practice as if you were at the gig. Use the same effects, instruments, etc. By the time you get up on stage, if everything is well rehearsed, the gig should be like practice - except you will be riding the wave of energy from the crowd.

If there are other variables getting in the way - like stress from work - do what you would normally do to relieve those pressures.

2. sideman

sideman Member

A lot of good advice here. Two thoughts. First, some nerves before a show is a physical, animal reaction to knowing that a lot of people are going to be watching you. It is not a reflection of inability, lack of preparedness, or lack of cool. It's a natural thing, that you should shrug off and push through (like getting into a swimming pool of cool water). Second, despite the fact that nerves are natural and common, the audience doesn't want to see them. So when you hit the stage, it's chin up - if you're nervous, don't show it. The audience can't see it unless you show them. Let your preparation take over, meld with the others in the band, and play your music.

3. levous

levous Member

4. Tony

Tony Member

Might sound strange but for me the cure for stage fright was simple: I screwed up real bad a few times. The world didn't end and no one threw tomatoes. Once I got thru that experience the stage fright faded away.

5. Magicpad

Magicpad Member

Thanks for the advice guys... gig went great. If you'd like, you can check out some pics/video at facebook.com/starcarsunday . Thanks for the support!

6. StratGuy22

StratGuy22 Senior Member

Good to hear!!! I don't get real nervous anymore but I DO get a bit poopy haha

7. Yer Blues

Yer Blues Member

Congrats!

8. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

This helped me out a LOT. I still have trouble, but I am not stupified.

9. GCDEF

GCDEF Member

I was going to say something similar. I think stage fright comes from fear of screwing up and/or looking foolish. Spend enough time on a stage and you're going to screw up and and you're look foolish. Once you've done it a few times and realized the sun still comes up the next day and the audience didn't throw things at you, you realize you have nothing to be afraid of. After that, the energy that was manifesting itself as stage fright turns into excitement.

You can rehearse and prep all you want, but things are going to go wrong that you can't control. The only way to learn how to deal with those things is to get up on a stage and experience them. As you work through them, you'll gain confidence as a performer and the fright will go away.

10. Pappy Yocum

Pappy Yocum Senior Member

Have a drink ... puke. Repeat.
    Reverse the procedure. Repeat.

~ Pappy ~