Ode to the '52 AVRI Telecaster

pete692

Silver Supporting Member
Having owned this for about a year now, and after flipping and trying and buying, selling various other "good" guitars (Explorer, EBMM Axis, Gibson SG, SG special, even the '62 AVRI tele), I've come to the conclusion that the '52 Tele RI is one of the best deals out there in terms of tone, playability, factory setup, and VALUE for the price. I don't care how many pieces the body may be, or how thick the finish may or may not be, or who's winding the pickups, this thing is just pure magic everytime I plug it in. Right off the shelf.

I mean, don't get me wrong, my R7 is also a magical guitar, but that magic cost me almost 4 grand, and I needed to do a pup change to get there.

DGTCrazy

Mod Squad
Staff member
Tele's can make magic. I've owned several, but my CS Classic, with S-1 switching is the best sounding/playing guitar I have ( I just got it locally). I too love my LP.....but I get what you're saying regarding value vs. tone.

I need to change my handle to TeleCrazy.....LOL

lankybass

I used my friend's 52avri a few times live and every time. EVERY time! my jaw hit the floor at how good it sounded. No tweaking, no pedal rearrangements. Just plug-in and get after some sick tone. I can't wait to get my own one day.

glaswerks

I have an RI that I bought in 89 and it is not going anywhere.

I changed the wiring to the "modern" style when I first bought the guitar. These days I am thinking about changing it to the vintage style to have another crayola in the box.

Gary

Jahn

Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver
Silver Supporting Member
i love '52 Teles too, a good one will sound "hardwired" like it's the shortest distance from fingers to amp, clear and raw.

sfarnell

Silver Supporting Member
My '52 RI is my favorite guitar of all time. I've owned a bunch of boutique and vintage teles and other guitars. They've all come and gone while the tele remains my favorite and is my go to guitar. Every time I pick it up I wonder why I bother checking the emporium and eBay for something different. I usually just end up losing money because nothing can replace my tele.

It's a 2004 Limited ed. NAMM guitar

pete692

Silver Supporting Member
And another thing, before this I never considered myself a "tele guy". Little did I know that these guitars can pretty much do anything, and do it well, both inside and outside the Tele box. Very versatile and timeless, while at the same time maintaining that unique telecaster voice. I figured I'd buy this guitar, just out of utility, just to have the "telecaster slot" filled. Little did I know that it would slowly take over all the other slots as well. Especially on occasions where one guitar is all I can or want to take.

Jahn

Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver
Silver Supporting Member
good call on the pics - here are the two '52s that i've owned:

A Black and Gold like sfarnell's:

And a normal butterscotch, but with a bigsby slapped on there:

loudif

I have a 1986 AVRI tele and it's my fav. of any guitar I've ever had. Great tone with stock pick-ups and vintage wiring.

Trending Topics