Odor when playing through newly rewired cab and speaker?

TP Parter

When I installed the Fane AXA 12A I received from GAT I noticed there was an odor, not burning wiring, something more subtle, when I was playing through the amp.

When I installed the speaker I utilized insulated-crimp quick disconnects from the 'Shack, and 12 gauge hook up wire. I soldered the wires to the speaker jack, positive to center, and negative to the arm, and connected the quick disconnects to the end of the wire and onto to the speaker terminals.

Should I maybe remove the insulation on the crimp on quick disconnects and solder the wire to the connector, and then fit those on the speaker terminals?

I want to use the quick disconnects so that I can swap out speakers to try different combinations in the cab, but am thinking that maybe since I really love the way the Fane sounds (HUGE, toothy, and pissed off, yet sweeter on the cleans than the V30/not as clean as the EV, but richer and meaner) I should just go ahead and solder it in there.

Thanks for your time,

Brent

Rosewood

I would solder the connectors rather that crimp even though I don't think that's the problem with the smell, don't know what that could be. Once you decide on a speaker you can go back and solder the speaker in.

Whiskeyrebel

Silver Supporting Member
If the driver is new, maybe it is the adhesive that holds the voice coil on the former.

TP Parter

I would solder the connectors rather that crimp even though I don't think that's the problem with the smell, don't know what that could be. Once you decide on a speaker you can go back and solder the speaker in.
Do you think the connectors could cause enough resistance for something to be getting to hot?

Do you think it could affect my transformer?

Rosewood

Do you think the connectors could cause enough resistance for something to be getting to hot?

Do you think it could affect my transformer?
It would take a really bad, dirty connection to do that. If the connection from the wire to connector is soldered or even crimped good and the connector fits tight on the speaker terminal you should be good to go. I personally like everything hard soldered so I don't have to worry about it but they're thousands of amps working just fine with push on connectors. Just make sure the wire and connections are solid, no load on a tube amp is not good.

TP Parter

It would take a really bad, dirty connection to do that. If the connection from the wire to connector is soldered or even crimped good and the connector fits tight on the speaker terminal you should be good to go. I personally like everything hard soldered so I don't have to worry about it but they're thousands of amps working just fine with push on connectors. Just make sure the wire and connections are solid, no load on a tube amp is not good.

Cool. I think I will file the terminals some to clean them up, and see if that does it.

I didn't do this after removing the gooped on solder prior to fitting the connectors on there. Someone else mentioned that if they were dirty there could be a problem.

Thanks for your help man,

Brent

phsyconoodler

If you have the incorrect impedance match to the amp,you may be smelling your output transformer getting hot.Also if the cabinet is new,it may be the glue or wood that emits the odor.

tremolux

What your smelling is the varnish/laquer on the voice coil in the speaker rubbing slightly and getting warm.....it will eventually stop once the excess is worn away. Rarely causes any other problems and it may go on for a while, if it starts making (audible) rubbing noises then its a concern.

TP Parter

If you have the incorrect impedance match to the amp,you may be smelling your output transformer getting hot.Also if the cabinet is new,it may be the glue or wood that emits the odor.
The cab isn't new, and the match is correct. the speaker is a single 8 ohm speaker.

TP Parter

What your smelling is the varnish/laquer on the voice coil in the speaker rubbing slightly and getting warm.....it will eventually stop once the excess is worn away. Rarely causes any other problems and it may go on for a while, if it starts making (audible) rubbing noises then its a concern.
The speaker is used, though I'm not sure how many hours of play time it has it. I played a little today, not too loud, and no odor. I'll have a chance to open her up some again tomorrow and see if I notice it again. Thanks to everyone for the replies.

TP Parter

Thanks for the replies guys. Both the Fanes are hooked up, and sound great with no funny symptoms, or anything.

Peace

epluribus

Mabye Dumb Question Dept: Any chance you recently cleaned the pin sockets with contact cleaner? If it oozes around onto something hot it stinks kinda funny till it dries up.

Spray some Lysol kill all the germs that cause smell!!:crazy
Actually I get much better results from Febreze. Seriously, I just cleaned up a cool little orphan amp that obviously sat a long time someplace kinda basement-woodpile staaang-kie! and it fixed it right up. (But remembered not to use it on the circuit, natch. :rolleyes:)

--Ray

Rosewood

Some new power tubes give off a smell which is probably the plastic base off gassing and that usually goes away after a while.

Trending Topics