ODR-1 and Wampler Belle - what's it for, and do I need it?

Peteurre

I think everyone should have one in their arsenal. Personally I was curious and didn't want to spend too much to try it out so just went with a standard ODR-1 with bass cut and it’s great. It’s one of the few dirt pedals I have that I find easy to dial in regardless of amp. At this point I don’t see the need to replace it or spend anything on “improved” versions.
And what do you use it for? Light overdrive, always on, soloing? I'm curious, since I've bought a few overdrive pedals lately, after seeing great video-demoes of them, and I end up with pedals that I really like for kinda dirty rhythm playing, but when it comes to lead, I always end up just stepping on the OCD, but i'm not really sure that's the sound I really dig (or maybe I haven't dialed it in just right)
So I'm curious just what it is an ODR-1 or the likes really excel at? I mean, so many people are using their tube screamer or their Klon-type pedals with the gain set really low, to hit the front of the amp just a bit, but I'm not really looking for that. So what role do you think the ODR-1 really plays on the board?

petty1818

Skip the belle. I had one and it just did absolutely nothing for me.

I recently decided to try again with the ‘Nobles ODR’ formula, but went big and got the Vemuram Shanks ODS-1, because I’ve been thrilled with their Jan Ray and immediately decided it was the best OD ever. Well, now I kinda think the Shanks is better than the Jan Ray.

I had ordered the Nordland first, but with customs hangups, it didnt arrive until a week after the Vemuram. The Nordland is fantastic. It may even have a touch more clarity than the Vemuram. [Not sure about this, as I didn’t mess about with the Vemuram’s trimmers. Maybe a little bass cut would have evened that out?] And it [Nordland] has more, easily-accessible tone controls. But after A/B’i and listening for the most subtle characteristics, I decided to keep the Vemuram Shanks. It seems to have like 5% more ‘something’ in single note stuff—like more… I don’t know what to call it… maybe ‘harmonic nuance?’ Just a little more som’n-som’n goin on with each note.

And it’s simpler. I’ll be less tempted to fiddle with it. I would say, though, if you’re gigging, you might like the Nordland better, as it’s probably easier to get it to cut/fit your band mix.

The Belle sounded great in a few demos. In Papa Stache’s, especially. But I subsequently learned how magnificent his Divided By 13 amp is, and how much of the OD tone was just from that amp. The belle, For me, needed similar amounts of gain from my amp (Kemper profile), but the Nordland and Vemuram are great even from a cleaner platform.

The above was written only after experimenting with a tele, no other guitars yet—a Nash T-57 with Fender ‘51 Nocaster pickups.

I have been tempted by the Shanks but it’s $500 plus tax here in Canada. That’s where I draw the line of how much I will spend. Sounds great but honestly, the reissue ODR-1 with the bass cut is blowing me away. I like how Dan and Mick on “That Pedal Show” immediately loved the reissue and have used it weekly ever since. I see too many players saying the reissue isn’t as good as the original or the Shanks, but it is a great pedal.

jj7642

I have been tempted by the Shanks but it’s $500 plus tax here in Canada. That’s where I draw the line of how much I will spend. Sounds great but honestly, the reissue ODR-1 with the bass cut is blowing me away. I like how Dan and Mick on “That Pedal Show” immediately loved the reissue and have used it weekly ever since. I see too many players saying the reissue isn’t as good as the original or the Shanks, but it is a great pedal.
How is the bypass on the ODR 1 with BC? I know the original was notorious for tone suck.

Andy S

And what do you use it for? Light overdrive, always on, soloing? I'm curious, since I've bought a few overdrive pedals lately, after seeing great video-demoes of them, and I end up with pedals that I really like for kinda dirty rhythm playing, but when it comes to lead, I always end up just stepping on the OCD, but i'm not really sure that's the sound I really dig (or maybe I haven't dialed it in just right)
So I'm curious just what it is an ODR-1 or the likes really excel at? I mean, so many people are using their tube screamer or their Klon-type pedals with the gain set really low, to hit the front of the amp just a bit, but I'm not really looking for that. So what role do you think the ODR-1 really plays on the board?

I use the circuit for a searing, harmonically rich lead tone.....closest circuit I've found for giving me boogiesque lead tones...reminds of a boogie MKlll i gigged with years ago...

Sounds best stacked into a light/medium OD IMO.. i stack mine into a Revival Drive compact set for hairy cleans/medium crunch into a Suhr Bella....best lead tones I've found using pedals....

So in my opinion it's best role is for lead tones into a mildly crunchy amp or pedal....

EDIT PS- I used to use an OCD....great pedal but the Shanks or Protien give a far superior lead tone IMHO....harmonics leap off the fretboard depending on how it's dialed in....

petty1818

How is the bypass on the ODR 1 with BC? I know the original was notorious for tone suck.
I need to do a more comprehensive test, but sometimes my guitar does sound a bit different with the ODR in the change. With that said, I am planning to use it with a switching system so it’s not really a concern. I do wish they would just fix that. The mini version for some reason is true bypass. It would be nice if analogman would offer a mod.

lamp

Silver Supporting Member
I initially used it as light overdrive, edge of breakup type sounds, but then switched to using it as my main OD, mid gain and then boosted with an SD-1 for leads.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom