OD's, Distortions, Delays, Buffers, and the Kitchen Sink

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Jarick, Jun 18, 2006.

1. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

So I'm going full bore on pedals (for me anyway). Never had a nice rig even though I've been playing for 12 years. I picked up a Strobostomp tuner (it's so easy to use and so quick to tune...don't know why some people find it difficult) and a Zakk Wylde OD (for those gritty Marshall tones out of a clean amp). I already have a Bad Monkey (LOVE the thing), so I've got a couple bases covered.

I'm picking up a Crate VC3112 today (my first tube amp)...that's gonna be fun. And I know I can dial in a sweet clean, nice bluesy OD, gritty rock distortion, and a sweet lead tone with my current pedals.

I need a couple more pedals to round it out, then off to building the 'board. Occasionally I really like to cut loose and do some heavy stuff. Even though the stack of Bad Monkey and Zakk Wylde rocks pretty hard, it's kind of a tube-amp-on-11 sound, not a Recto-ish thing. I've heard good things about the Zoom Tri-Metal and am trying to find one...I was also thinking of the Metal Zone, but the pedal is so bad stock and I've never really enjoyed modded Boss pedals anyway. Any others you might suggest? Rocktron Zombie or whatever it is?

I'd also like to get a delay pedal with tap. Digital with decent tone is all I need. I tried a DL4 yesterday and it was okay, I'd rather not deal with the volume dropout issue anyways. The DD-20 was pretty slick, but it's so overkill for me and I'm worried about the buffer and power situation when I wire up the board. I was thinking of trying a used DLS EchoTap or finding an older Boss DD-5 and either getting the tap tempo switch or rehousing it for true-bypass and tap in one box.

Finally, is the Valvulator any good for regulated power supply? It's a little cheaper than the Voodoo Pedal Power 2 on e-Bay, and it has four 9V outs (which should be enough for most of what I would have on the board). Does the buffer help with pedals that already are buffered (like the Bad Monkey or the ZW44 if I don't mod it to TB)?

Thanks, and I'm thrilled to join the ranks of tube amp + lots of pedals!

:horse

2. outoftune

outoftune Member

although i have yet to be able to try one... i think a dna gainfxxker would be a good choice...

3. TheFlash

TheFlash Member

I've heard great things about the subdecay blackstar for heavier stuff also.

4. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

For high gain, there are a number of great pedals. Frankly, I am really impressed with the Boss OD-20. A lot of sounds in there that are more than just "useable", and honestly, it kicked my modded MT-2 out the door.

If you want boutique, check out the DNA Gainfxxxer or whatever it's called. Supposed to be insane

5. Angle Loss

Angle Loss Supporting Member

Don't be concerned with the buffer on the DD-20. Most Boss stuff that I've had have excellent buffers. It is better to run one buffer than to have all true bypass pedals. If you have a couple of true bypass pedals+cables in between your amp and guitar you are going to have treble loss without a buffer. Most of my board is true bypass, but I have a buffer early in my chain, so that my board of 16 pedals doesn't suck tone.

The Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2+ is great for pedalboards. The "2+" can even power stuff like the Boss twin pedals or L6 modelers if you have them.

Hope this helps,
    Chris

6. McSoappy

McSoappy Member

As far as a digital delay with tap tempo, check out a T-Rex Replica.

7. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

Hmm...so let's have a few opinions here.

Mid-gain Marshall Rhythm Crunch: Zakk Wylde ZW-44 versus Fulltone OCD?

Pedal Power: VHT Valvulator versus Voodoo Pedal Power Plus 2?

Tap Tempo Delay: Boss DD-20 versus DLS EchoTap?

Cheap(ish) Metal Pedal: Zoom Tri-Metal versus modded Boss MT-2 versus _______?

Right now, I'm leaning Voodoo, DD-20, and Tri-Metal, and the ZW-44 is sounding pretty sweet (although I wouldn't mind testing an OCD)...

8. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I'll +1 the DD-20. I'm in love with mine.

And to clarify, in my previous post I was referring to the Boss OD-20 Drive Zone twin pedal.
    [​IMG]

If you look on HC, you'll see a lot of people who love it. The people (on HC) who don't, for the most part, either have no idea how to dial in a good tone or else have crap equipment. I saw a few critics that seemed legit.

Also, I know a few professional guitarists who swear by the Boss ME-50, which has a lot of the same models as the OD-20. If you're looking for something versatile and good quality, you can't beat it. It can do pretty much anything you can hope for in terms of dirt.

9. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

Alright, just pulled the trigger on a Rocktron Metal Planet! $50 BIN with free shipping from a seller a couple hours away. Ought to be a pretty easy trial. I like the idea of an analog unit over a digital for something like distortion.

Anyways, if it doesn't work, $50 shipped ought to move it out pretty quick. I've heard good things about the pedal, even if it's only a refined Metal Zone.

10. mavrick10_2000

mavrick10_2000 Member

Jarick,

The Valvulator works well as an Isolated Power source. Remember that it only has 4 outputs and the top is 12V. You can chain off of those, but you'll have to make sure you're not overdrawing the max current from the output.