ODS Question for Tommy C

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Ayan, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Ayan

Ayan Member

Tommy, in the "other ODS thread," which has now exceeded 100 pages, you mentioned in passing something which arouse my curiosity: while talking about what has been described as RF's characteristic "phasing" sound, you indicated that you had dialed that out of some amps at the owner's request.

I wanted to know if you would be willing, form a conceptual standpoint --as opposed to talking about circuit specifics with a schematic as a reference -- to comment on what you attribute that characteristic to. Thus, would you say it is something specific to architecture (say HRM VS non HRM), part value, part selection (other than value), lead dress, quasi random, etc.?

Cheers,

Gil

2. PSaulino

PSaulino Silver Supporting Member

..yeah, the one page 57. I'd like to know too, that sound is exactly a huge part of the mojo I heard when I played through one.

Looks like Tommy C is suspended though?

Paul

3. Ayan

Ayan Member

Duh! I hope not. :)

Gil

4. PSaulino

.... because (allow me some license here) dialing it IN, or knowing the secret sauce to doing so, is pretty darn cool - !!

P.

5. Ayan

Ayan Member

With all due respect, did you read my question carefully? If you don't have an answer, as seems to be the case, that's cool too.

Gil

6. PSaulino

Heh, no I don't have an answer, just trying to keep the thread alive until perhaps Tommy C comes back to life ~
    :)

But I DO have an "answer" offered by Mr. Steve Kimock earlier in the month. Permit me to share:

"First you get that pedal that gives your steel chassis the transparency of an aluminum chassis, plug that into any device that makes your PCB amp sound like a hand wired/point to point amp, plug that into whatever's handy that makes a pair of EL-84's sound like four 6L6's, hook up one of those boxes that makes any stomp box reverb pedal at the input sound like a built in two knob spring reverb plus effects loop, maybe one of those boxes that lets you defeat the tone stack, a couple of pedals to increase the headroom at the input, maybe one of those little boxes that makes your solid state rectifier sound like a tube rectifier (just for fun), then any old thing that plugs between the guitar and amp that defeats the feedback at the output stage, maybe then you could throw in a little loop for your boss tuner and your fax machine or anything else that doesn't belong in the signal path, then plug in the rest of your pedals and you're off to the races"

P.