Of all the amp/effects modelers, whose effects are best?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by StringChucker, Feb 14, 2006.

1. StringChucker

StringChucker Member

Of all the amp/effects modelers available from Line 6 (Pods,GuitarPort), Digitech (RP200A, etc.) , Vox (Tonelab) , Johnson (J-Station), Behringer (V-amp), or whoever; who has the best set of effects? I'm not talking about the amp modelling, just the effects like chorus, flanger, phaser, pitch shifting, delay, etc. Or are there some that are especially good at some of the effects and not others?

ReedChucker

2. boog204

boog204 Supporting Member

dave,

i always liked the line 6 stuff effects wise... their individual effects units sound pretty nice. i recorded a lot using a behringer v-amp and those were pretty good as well. but to me, the line 6 stuff is the best of the modelers. haven't had the opp to try any vox stuff tho.

3. shuffle

shuffle Member

Line 6 are good, but i would choose boss out of all of those kind of manufacturers. Simple pedals like their delays, trems, some OD's are fine by many standards.

4. drolling

drolling Member

Y'know, I still can't get over how cool the Roland microcube is; 1/2 dozen amp models (including a fender model where the bass notes "fart-out" just like a real blackface) a tone control and two knobs, one which smoothly morphs from chorus thru' flange/phaser to tremolo & another that goes from slap-back to long trails into a cool spring-pan reverb algorhythm that's wet enough to surf on.

Thing's got a tuner and an auxilliary CD input as well..

Runs for about 20 hours on a handfull of flashlight batteries...

5. StringChucker

StringChucker Member

Thanks guys. Any other opinions out there?

6. fakeox

fakeox Member

my Nephew just got a Zoom G2 & he loves it.

7. carltonh

carltonh Member

I've read reviews by people who have owned virtually all the current digital multi-fx pedals (excepting the new Zoom ones) and there is a noticeable preference for the Digitech GNX3000 as best all around multi-FX.

Check out www.thestompbox.net

8. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

The GNX3000 is much more tube like then any of the others.. even the modelers with with tubes... It models a Dr.Z amp extremely well, as it does a Twin, Super Reverb, Mark 2 and many others... you can even 'warp' or combine these amps...

I know it probably sounds crazy on this board.. but it's truly mind blowing in both tube feel & width of sound projected ... other modelers like the Line 6, Vox or Zoom products do not even come close...

This could be a truly workable product for you if you don't want to carry your expensive boutique amp onto a plane, drag it to a gig... or take it out of the studio...

The GNX3000 even allows you to tweak (EQ) speaker cabinets to your liking ... it sounds odd & not possible... but you just might like it...:rolleyes:

9. i2K92

i2K92 Member

Talking about the chorus, mod, delay, etc, Yamaha Magicstomp is the best sounding and most configurable of all. It's a rack effect in pedal form. I don't like the amp sim (I prefer Sansamp) but the effects are killers.
    You can get it as low as 80 $ as Yamaha is going to discontinue it.

10. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Oh yeah...LOTS of them :eek:

Except, I wonder...some of us have had a few maybe of them, but who among us has tried or owned all of them? And even then, if the person is a Death Metal guy, and you are looking for blues..

I know, I know..it's the same problem with all recommendations, except the "best set of effects" (and it was smart of you to limit, to exclude amp modelling, just interested in effects! ) is tricky, and again...a little tougher to get into.

Personally, I have owned or tried extensively: Digitech RP-7 (own, I think it is out of production though), Behringer V-amp2 (still own and use), a Korg...think it was 501? ME box...awful, owned and gave away...Digitech RP-2000 (played extensively...decided on the RP-7).

Um..that's all. I've done lots of research on them, but oddly I have never played a Tonelab SE which I think would be my choice if I hadn't decided a few years ago to sink all my money in stompboxes.

Anyway, of the ones I have tried, I think the RP-7 was absolutely the BEST effects. Uses a 12ax7a tube also, and the effects are really nice, expression pedal also excellent...can assign all sorts of parameters to the exp pedal. If you see one used, definitely try it out!

The Behringer V-amp2, I use a lot for night recording, and honestly...straight into the recorder, I love the thing. I can get a lot of great sounds, but I AM thinking of the amp modelling (and SOME of the effects) but mainly from your question, I think I CAN say definitely drop the BEhringer Vamp from your list of possibles. From purely a effect standpoint, it is in NO way the best.

I hear different things about the Tonelab SE. If I were you I would make sure that I tried one out, along with any others on your short list!

So, summing up, I'm 99% sure the Behringer ought to be stricken from the list, I doubt many/any would call it the best effects.

Try the Tonelab SE, and if you ever see a Digitech RP-7, give it a try too!

11. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Boss's COSM technology is really great. I definitely prefer their stuff to Line 6. IMO, the feel of it is way more natural. Never tried the Digitech.

Check out the Boss ME-50 for a great modeller that only does effects, not amp modelling. Also, it has no menus or anything, the interface is just knobs knobs knobs!