Of guitars today around $1500: What would you pick?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by amdowell, May 14, 2015.

1. amdowell

amdowell Supporting Member

Here's what I really mean:

With reliability and build quality in mind, for under or around $1500, what guitars are worth a look?

The madness behind this question posed itself from the thought of, "What if something happened to my guitar?" I currently only have one electric guitar and it's getting pretty old. I'm afraid I wouldn't know how to replace it. I don't feel like buying another Gibson off of a Guitar Center wall would really do it for me. Do you guys have suggestions of something comparable, USA made?

2. xzacx

xzacx Member

new or used?

3. cratz2

cratz2 Member

If new, probably the best feeling American Standard or American Special I could find then I'd get an HB in the bridge position and futz with the wiring a bit.

4. Astronaut FX

Astronaut FX Member

The PRS S2 line is American made, overall has less "bling" than the rest of their American made guitars, but are still good quality instruments. They all hit the $1000-1400 range new. The range offers several models, at least one of which would probably suit your playing style. Great value!

5. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

yeah, I'd take a PRS too

6. Braunzo

Braunzo Supporting Member

Used PRS or a nice American Tele.

7. gdomeier

gdomeier Supporting Member

I would order a a new carvin or kiesel.

8. Zuhzuhzombie!!

Zuhzuhzombie!! Member

Hofner, Eastman, Gretsch.

9. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Member

That's pretty generic. You just want a guitar? How about narrowing down for us?

Gibson wise, I would save up another $800 - $1,000 and buy a used '57 or '58 reissue.

Fender wise, $1,500 will buy you a second hand Kirn or K-Line (two builders I have always wanted to try) or maybe save up $500 more for a Danocaster or Fender Custom Shop.

Of course, you could always use part of that money and just upgrade your Standard. I know what your question is but mine is - what could happen to it?

10. bhendric1

bhendric1 Member

I have PRS S2 Singlecut and would highly recommend it. Great quality and value.

11. Goerman

Goerman Member

Used for sure, I've made some killer acquisitions this way as opposed to taking fairly deep discounts when selling an instrument I bought new. In terms of brand, depends on what you are looking at. On the new, bang for the buck front don't ignore Reverend.

12. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

used PRS, Tom Anderson, or Suhr for just a teeny bit more than that and no buyer's remorse of any kind.

13. budglo58

budglo58 Member

I might look at the AVRI thin skins at Wildwood or Daves. New just a little more than 1500. Build quality is on par with Custom Shop stuff and different specs than the run of the mill strats .

14. amdowell

To be more specific: I'm looking for humbuckers, something with a similar neck to what I have--probably 60s LP profile--and mahogany is a plus. I'm fine with used, but I'm unfamiliar with new offerings, so I'm all ears. I play classic and modern rock styles.

15. amdowell

That's a good point, Tim. I am very careful. But I suppose this is my "What if?" scenario. I suppose I could also just be plain and say, "What guitars available now are similar enough to my 93 Standard that isn't necessarily a new Gibson?"

16. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Member

I've been buying both new and used core line, PRS guitars, in the $1,200 to $1,400 range. I do prefer the plain models like the SAS, Standard 22 and Starla.

17. SPROING!

SPROING! Member

For $1500, I'll take a Godin Montreal Premier with P90s.

18. RocknPop

RocknPop Supporting Member

That's a pretty open-ended question, but assuming that you are looking for the best "bang for your buck", you will be buying used.

1) Reliability and build quality in mind...
    ---> In the $1,500 range, I would place PRS at the top of the list in terms of quality.
    2) "Something comparable" - you have a Gibson, probably a 24-3/4" scale
    ---> You'll probably like PRS Custom 22 , PRS McCarty, or Heritage guitars.

Would you tell us more about what type of music you play? what you like and dislike about your Gibson? and other factors that are important to you?

19. 73Fender

73Fender Member

Used Heritage..good wood and nice nitro finish. Or a used (no more new ones) USA Hamer. You may be able to find a good Gibson in that price range as well.

20. phillybri

phillybri Supporting Member

If I was making the decision, I'd get a PRS S2 Vela.