Of NPDs, tests, and pedalboard rearrangement

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by kenyee, May 14, 2015.

1. kenyee

kenyee Member

So I had a day off and figured I would spend some time doing this:

[​IMG]

New to me are the Klon KTR, Mr. Blacks Eterna and Supermoon, Visual Sound (True-Tone) VS XO, and the Moog MF Boost.

Some thoughts:
    KTR - It's a good drive pedal, but not jaw-dropping. I will need to spend more time with it, and figure if I prefer it as a clean boost, lead boost, or standalone OD.

Eterna - Bought during the Mr. Black sale recently to replace my EQD Organizer. I previously used the Organizer together with the modulate setting on my Boss RV5 for volume swells and ambient shimmer, so I thought I could replace the Organizer and have the RV5 as an always on plate reverb. The Eterna is majestic. The octaves come out immediately and sound more organic and less organ-y than the Organi... oh that's why it's called the... never mind.

Supermoon - Bought together with the Eterna to defray shipping. I'm in Singapore. Thought I could compare the Supermoon with the RV5. The Supermoon is good, and holds its own against the RV5. Still undecided.

VS XO - I got this second hand and got a really good deal on it. This was bought to replace my Full Drive 3. I really like the FD3 in both 90s and wide asym mode. Love the TS tones on my neck pickups, and the open wide asym mode on my bridge, but not liking the boost side as much. The VS XO has both TS tones and a more open sounding side which are foot switchable. The problem is that I prefer the FD3's wide asym just that much more than the VS XO's left side. Both pedals produce really convincing TS tones. So I'm in a real pickle regarding these two.

MF Boost - When I got this pedal and plugged it in, I swear I thought I received a faulty pedal. The boost switch when down in the VCA mode caused my volume to drop! I need to crank both the gain and volume to the max to have just that bit of boost. I even contacted Moog and was prepared to send it back. Thankfully, I used my volume pedal, the Dunlop DVP3, which also acts as an expression pedal, and *wa-lah* I get it now. I can see myself using it both as a volume pedal, as well as a sweepable gain pedal, to transition between verses and choruses of songs, for example.

So, sorry for the wall of text, and if you're still reading, thank you for your time!

I run my pedals into a modded Tech 21 Blonde, drives in front, and delays and mods in the loop. I usually run an XLR cable direct to the FOH.

Please let me know if I can answer any questions. I would be glad to do so!

2. Cgkindler

Cgkindler Member

The Moog boost + expression pedal???

I didn't realize that'd make a difference!

3. kenyee

kenyee Member

Cgkindler, yeah! The expression pedal does two things for the MF Boost: Volume and gain sweep! Who knew?!