Of the OD's That Have Real Tubes, Which Can be Battery Driven?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by StringChucker, Feb 15, 2006.

1. StringChucker

StringChucker Member

Of the Overdrive and Distortion boxes that use a real tube like a 12ax7, which ones can be driven using batteries or DC input like an AC/DC adapter? (As opposed to AC directly into the box). I see the Zendrive 2 can take a DC adapter and the Jacques has a handmade version of his Tube Blower that is run off batteries. Are there any others? Thanks guys.

ReedChucker

2. Franklin

Franklin Member

There are Butler Tube Drivers with AC adapters.....

3. jhc

jhc Senior Member

Is there even a point in having a vaccum tube of the pedal is only supplied with 9V?

4. StringChucker

StringChucker Member

Yeh, busking and an outdoor gig.

Franklin, I don't think the Butler products use a DC input. I think they are strictly AC/AC adapters. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Any others out there you know of?

5. Eric Pykala

Eric Pykala Member

Haven't really played with them, but the Vox Cooltron series runs on batteries. Guess I'm still old-fashioned enough to think that tubes need voltage, perhaps more than 9VDC????-Eric

6. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

First off, the Cooltron Big Ben is a great pedal. One of my favorite ODs. Highly recommended!

2nd, SUPPOSEDLY, the Cooltrons have some new biasing technology or something that allows these tubes (12AU7's) to be powered with 9V, but without plate starvation. I don't know if that's all hype or if it's true, but the thing sound GREAT. I'll probably never sell my Big Ben. It's that good. At the risk of being hammered, it kicks my Varidrive's caboose.

7. Dave Rich

Dave Rich Member

The short answer; tubes draw too much current to be practical with batteries. Plus you would need two voltage supplies, A 6.3 (or 12.6) volt supply for the filament and another for whatever the plate voltage is.

I work with radioactive materials and I have seen old tube geiger counters that run on batteries. The voltages used are on the order of 800-900 volts! The batteries for these things are huge.

8. StringChucker

StringChucker Member

I found four more; the Maxon ROD 880 and Maxon ROD 881 which run off 115V AC/ 9V DC adapters and the ToneBone Hot British and ToneBone Classic which run off 115V AC/ 15V DC adapters.

The VOX Cooltron Big Ben and BullDog can run on 4-AA batteries or a 115V AC/ 9V DC adapter and the Jacques All Tube Tube Blower seems to only run on 2-9V batteries and no adapter (but don't know for sure whether it can use an adapter or not).

9. Franklin

Franklin Member

Maybe the tubes are being used as clipping diodes instead?

10. Ommy

Ommy Member

I believe Jacque's handmade tubeblower runs on 9 volt batteries; it utilizes a car audio tube.

Last edited: May 25, 2009