Off-Brand Plexis

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by fenderbender4, Oct 24, 2005.

1. fenderbender4

fenderbender4 Gold Supporting Member

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has gotten a "plexi" amp made by Rockytop electronics or Dabeck. How do they compare to say a Germino or Blockhead?

2. Pentode

Pentode Supporting Member

I have a Rockytop 45. It is a very high quality amp, with meticulous wiring. I chose it over Germino. I don't have any experience with Dabeck.

3. chubbywolf

chubbywolf Member

I have owned both a blockhead and a Wizard, not to mention other plexi-ish amps, and to me, Dabeck's plexi is better sounding. It is the sound of corners not being cut.

4. The Rocket

The Rocket Member

Have you had the chance to A/B the Rockytop and the Germino?

5. Pentode

No, I have not done a direct A/B comparison. I ordered the Rockytop sight unseen. They are made to order, not sold in stores, so there was no way to try one out. I have been very pleased with mine. I wanted an exact reproduction of a JTM45, and that is what the Rockytop is. The amps I compared it to do not precisely copy the original circuit.

6. Gearhead

Gearhead Member

I have a Dabeck, and it's the cat's meow. Half is a plexi-type circuit, with the normal and treble channels internally jumpered, controllable via separate knobs on the front (like the Aiken MKII Invaders). Has a very open sound and a ton of presence. Good headroom, but also a MV that works very well.

I would -Highly- recommend his (Dave Smith=Dabeck) amps.

7. Sudsysul

Sudsysul Member

Can you tell me who you compared with? The Rockytop intrigues me. Thanks..

8. Pentode

Germino, Marshall reissue, various kits, Blockhead

If you are looking for a straight vintage Marshall reproduction Rockytop is the the way to go IMHO.

Give Jesse a call, he's a great guy.

9. Pentode

I should add that Blockhead does excellent repros but they are much more expensive than Rockytop.

10. Mark Williams

Mark Williams Gold Supporting Member

I've had two Germino Amps & never had a Blockhead, but, since I got my Dabeck Custom 50-watt head, I swear by David Smith's designs & amps in general. Mine is sort of a hot-rodded Marshall type of amp with a Lead and Rhythm mode in one channel. David makes an amp to give you just about exactly the sound & features you want, and I've been blown away by the quality. His prices are very reasonable, too, not to mention the money I've saved by pretty much calling off my "search" for the perfect amp for me. I'm expecting a very different kind of amp from David soon (a Dabeck "Dual Personality" 112 combo that will "go from screamin' tweed to mighty Marshall" with the flick of a switch"), which I'm sure will be magnificent, too. I agree that you can't go wrong with David Smith and Dabeck Amps.

11. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

Wait, so did you try a Germino or just choose to order the Rockytop instead of a Germino?

12. Pentode

Yes, I tried a Germino (although it was a Lead 55). There was no way to try a Rockytop beforehand as they are not sold in stores.

I've been so pleased with my 45H I've ordered a second Rockytop (18 head).

13. MARCO

MARCO Member

The Mojave Amps (PM & SCRPION) are, I think, truer to the Non-Master Volume Plexi's of the past w/o the hassle of dealing with old parts, reliability etc. Most of the newer "Plexi" type amps have a preamp gain channel and if you think logically, there was never an original plexi with a preamp....just pure power tube distortion. I have seen soooo many Plexi modded amps with a preamp channel or cascading the preamp section to make me throw up. Just my opinion. I guess it depends on what u r looking for.
    :cool: