Off the cuff opinions on a Carr Rambler 210?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by s2y, Feb 11, 2012.

1. s2y

s2y Member

A local shop has one on consignment and I dig it. Everyone locally thinks they sound good and nobody has heard about any problems. What say you?

2. Live Wire

Live Wire Member

I don't think I've ever encountered the 2x10 configuration on a Rambler. Carr's are known for being bulletproof, as well as sounding phenominal. I say "buy with both hands."

3. s2y

s2y Member

Thanks! A local shop has one on consignment and it sounded great. Everyone who has tried it loves the sound. Nobody seems to have any complaints, apparently for good reason.

4. cribcage

cribcage Member

I agree with Live Wire. If the shop's price is reasonable, then I would be surprised if you stand to lose any money should you decide to flip it on eBay or the TGP Emporium. I looked hard at the Rambler. I would buy the single-speaker configuration, but that's because I already own a 2x10 (Matchless) and I don't need more than one amp that size.

Again, assuming the price is reasonable I'd buy, play a bit, then keep or flip.

5. s2y

s2y Member

Sounds good. I was considering a Fender Twin Reverb initially for some nice analog clean stuff. Even used, the Carr is considerably more. The Rambler was lighter and seemed to have a little more bite and clarity, which is easy to ditch if you want to but hard to get if the amp doesn't have it. Even though there are simpler/cheaper ways to do this, I like how the amp has the triode/pentode function.

Not too worried about selling it. I'm basically starting fresh with a guitar rig. Before I could ever get a serious guitar rig together, I switched to bass and didn't really have many opportunities to play guitar in a band setting. Now, little is available on bass, so I'm splitting my time.

6. s2y

s2y Member

I appreciate the feedback. Having not played much guitar for the last ~10 years, I'm more than a little out of the loop.

Given the amount of work they put into their amps, the value pretty good. I'm also keen on how good it sounds at low and high volume.

I'll talk to the shop one of these days. I liked how it sounded with my relatively new Taylor T5.

7. Paul Conway

Paul Conway Member

I have the 1x12. Amazing platform for pedals. Get a Timmy and a TS-type pedal and you're set.

Also, some of the best cleans around.

8. s2y

s2y Member

What are those? LOL, the last thing I bought for my "rig" was a POD Pro when they were still new. :bonk

9. Paul Conway

Paul Conway Member

Hey, Robben Ford tracked a solo on one of his albums with a POD.......

Timmy overdrive..adds hair, really nicely, doesn't destroy the tone. Not expensive for what it is and available direct from one of the nicest guys on TGP (Paul Cochrane). TS = tubescreamer for boosting mids to the amp. Works well with the rambler, as it seems to have a little bit of mid-scoop to my ears....

The two stack really well to create monster lead sound should you need it.

10. s2y

s2y Member

Gotcha. I'll have to look pedals soon, too. I recently plugged in an old Yamaha FX550 through a small amp. I haven't played through it in ages and it didn't quite sound the way I remembered it. :huh

Still like the POD. Good for the metal and hard rock I used to play. I still enjoy all of that stuff. I never really close the door on stuff, which can get a little expensive, eh?

The POD comment was more of a reflection of time than tone.

11. Paul Conway

Paul Conway Member

Gotcha ;)

Well, the Rambler takes most things well. Our band recently added something with a really heavy ending, so I pressed my venerable old Tech21 TriOD pedal into action, set to 'Marshall', and it sounds monstrous (in a good way).

In terms of modulation, delay, etc you could do worse than to use the POD. Or failing that, check out the TC Electronic toneprint stuff......happy hunting.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  12. s2y

s2y Member

Good to know. Thanks all!

13. s2y

s2y Member

Going to buy it Monday. Shop agreed to hold it because I'm working hours that won't allow me to stop by. Very stoked to play it with my T5.

14. djy8131

djy8131 Member

I love my rambler 1x12. The only minor annoyance I have is my les Paul classic 57 pickups will cause a little buzz on an open 6 string when played hard with the guitar volume on 10. When I play with our band, I have to set the rambler at about 4 or 5 on high power mode and mic it to keep up. It is still crystal clear on these settings.

I got mine in November to replace a Mesa ta 15 transatlantic. I can't believe how much thicker and richer my cleans are. Still very glad I made the switch.

15. Paul Conway

Paul Conway Member

Gigged mine last night, and will be doing so again tomorrow night. Feeding it from a US Reverend guitar into a TC Flasback delay and a REv DT2 pedal it sounded incredible...after it had warmed up, it just oozed sustain.

One question, tube/valve guys: towards the end of the gig, the low-E went quite flubby sounding. Valves going or just the nature of the beast?

16. s2y

s2y Member

Picked it up last night after work. I only had about 30 minutes to play through it before feeding the dog and doing my workout before bed. I'm very blown away.

Tried a Fulltone overdrive yesterday through the shop's T5. The shop T5 felt a little off compared to mine. Might need to go back with my T5 and amp to try out some of the pedals my shop has.

I got such a smoking deal on it that it might upset some folks.

17. Paul Conway

Paul Conway Member

18. s2y

s2y Member

[​IMG]

Here they are.

I might look at a Zendrive in a bit. I spend enough time playing clean that effects aren't a huge priority at the moment....and I'm still recovering from the amp price.

19. Live Wire

Live Wire Member

Beautiful ! I'll bet it sounds huge with the 2 - 12's.