• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Off the Shelf Fender

fishcake

Hey guys

So after a couple of years going with a Marshall JTM1 at home and a Tech21 Blonde or British when playing out, i find myself yearning for a Fender clean tone. I was kinda leading towards a Blues Jr FSR with a C Rex speaker at a local store, but then i found a used HRD 3 with Jensen C12N which i really like at pretty much the same price.

I thought it was an easy decision. Play both and get what i like most. But then it dawned on me. What if i just sell the JTM1 and get myself a Princeton for both home and jams

The BJr only needs a bit more, with the speaker already great.

The HRD 3 is the perfect platform for my fuzzes, and its round clean tone is also great.

And the Princeton is, well, almost perfect as a desert island amp for myself. Low watt, portable blackface type Fender.

So i guess as much as suggestions, i think im looking more of an affirmation. I know the Princeton is the best of the 3. My worry is how much will i miss the JTM1, and knowing that the chances of getting one of these again is very slim being a limited run.

So do i settle with both a jtm and BJr/HRD or go all in with a Princeton?

IM4Tone

No on the Princeton. It's a great amp, but may short change you on headroom playing live. Step up to the DRRI or Vibrolux or their 68 Custom counterparts.

e???

If you get the 68 Princeton, shop around and try a few. Some have cab rattle when you crank it up into overdrive and some don't.

swiveltung

No on the Princeton. It's a great amp, but may short change you on headroom playing live. Step up to the DRRI or Vibrolux or their 68 Custom counterparts.
For live playing, I came to this conclusion also. If not playing live... go for it!

jay42

Just a comment on some of those Fenders -- only the Princeton, DR, and VR have a BF/SF clean tone. The others you mentioned are more like the Tweed tone stack and are improved by the BillM mods. I hear it as a very different tonality. hth

fishcake

Ive thought of the PR in a band, but since we're mic'ed all the time, i dont think thats an issue.

I may have worded it wrong when i said BF clean. Maybe i shouldve generalized it to Fender cleans, since ive always gone back and forth between a 59 Bassman RI and a Super as what i feel is what i want my clean sound to be, and that their both overkill in the house.

Anyway, a store thats a couple of hours away has a PRRI FSR with a Jensen P10Q, while a 30 minute drive on the other direction has one with a P10R. How does a Princeton handle a Big Muff and Tonebender (rams head and mk1 specifically)?

Last edited:

swiveltung

I've not had reissues, but had about 3 old ones and clones. I find the PR does not handle OD that well. It sounds great without it though. If driven too much, the amp sometimes gets into "blatt" zone. Of course this is all up to volume you are playing at too. But I run my OD very low on the gain and it still comes out that way.

Groberts

Gold Supporting Member
I've not had reissues, but had about 3 old ones and clones. I find the PR does not handle OD that well. It sounds great without it though. If driven too much, the amp sometimes gets into "blatt" zone. Of course this is all up to volume you are playing at too. But I run my OD very low on the gain and it still comes out that way.
I just installed an Allen TO20 Transformer in a '65 PRRI. Kills now!! It was good before, but loose and flabby in the low end. Would sort of fart out with OD pedals. But with the transformer upgrade, it is MUCH Tighter and Kills!

Jetter GS124 and Fender Landau Sig Strat - bridge PU

Fender 51/52 Nocaster Tele, bridge PU - No drive pedals. Just amp.

DeaconBlues

If you are going "all in" then why not get a vintage Princeton Reverb? You will never regret buying a vintage handwired amp that can be kept running for your lifetime...and beyond.

Mike R.

If you get the 68 Princeton, shop around and try a few. Some have cab rattle when you crank it up into overdrive and some don't.
This is my experience. I had a '68 and returned it due to cabinet rattle. Picked up a '65 and it's perfect. I'd think for gigs if you decide it is not loud enough you would mic it. Yes?

fishcake

Thanks for the replies guys. The problem with the vintage is that the Canadian market isnt really conducive to buyers. Everything is overpriced, new or used.

Still haven't made a move yet though since im trying to look for a good deal. Although if i do make a decision, it will most likely be a PR or DR of some sorts. I think im gonna go find an amp i will really like straight up, and choose the pedals i will need according to it, instead of trying to limit my amp with the pedals i have. Its easier to rotate pedals than amps.

Trending Topics