Off topic yet on topic. What level of guitars are you feeding all these high end modelers?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by JiveTurkey, Jan 29, 2018.

1. digitalscream

digitalscream Member

Mostly high-end stuff with my Helix...

Jaden Rose Teles (x2)
    Jaden Rose/Salvo Reload
    Washburn N4
    Self-build hardtail SSS N4-alike with Lace Sensors
    Warwick Corvette

They all sound great with the Helix...if I'm honest, I'm biased towards nice guitars that help me sound like the best version of me. The tone generation - whether it's from an amp or a modeller - is really about hitting the right level of gain with the minimum of irritations (fizz, muddy low end etc). The Helix does that perfectly, and doesn't get in my way.

2. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Trumpets and Tants Silver Supporting Member

Thanks for the heads up! I've always wanted a Pacifica of some sort but never ended up getting one.

3. rer122504

rer122504 Supporting Member

Ibanez fr1620 prestige

4. Sascha Franck

Sascha Franck Member

- Anderson semi-hollow drop top thingy (1996 or so). My #1. Vibrato fixed (even if I die for vibratos, but due to the very noticeable semi-acoustic build, the Anderson picks up any kind of spring twang, which I simply hate). PUs to go in there in the next days (after changing configurations like a mad man since 20 years) will be a mini HB in the neck and normal HB in the bridge positions, both handwound by a local luthier.

- G&L Legacy special (1994 or so). A strat as it should've been done (according to Leo F. himself)? No friggin' way, this thing sounds nowhere near like a strat, regardless of the PUs used. Like it quite a bit, though. Extra: An additional SC sized Duncan Cool Rail just in front of the regular bridge position PU (a little 59).

These two usually do all the jobs.

Others: Framus Diablo, Ibanez Saber (musical wallpaper fusion, here I come!), Pacifica Tele (cheapest Mike Stern model from Indonesia, replaced PUs), Epiphone LP Studio (*yuck*, but won it for no apparent reason in a contest that nobody attended) and a simply fantastic 335 clone by Ibanez from the early 70s (unfortunately this needs pretty much everything re-newed, frets, bridge, electric, maybe one day...).
    Plus a Takamine western and a Yamaha nylon - both of which need to run through a "modeler" (MS50G) because of their ultra-cheap piezos (the Yamaha sounds quite great, though).
    Plus a whole lot of parts that have been complete guitars once (and theoretically still could be).

5. nicktf

nicktf Member

For my ability, a Kemper and a Les Paul Standard are probably wasted on me, but that and my trusty "the SG" are what I use. I can justify this by...

a) I'm old enough to afford nice toys now,
    b) I've had the SG for 30 years and apart from that and the Les Paul (which was my 45th birthday present to self) I've only had one other guitar, a Westone Thunder 1A. In fact in total, my guitar expenditure has been

1986 - Westone Thunder 1A & some sort of Badger Amp - £160
    1988 - Traded above, and an additional £360 for a Gibson "The SG" and a Peavey Bandit
    ...Long hiatus...
    1998 - Washburn D46 Cheyenne acoustic ($500?)
    ...Longer hiatus...
    2015 - Les Paul Standard ($2100) + Blackstar 5HT ($500)
    2017 - Kemper + Remote + pair of monitors.

There's a Cry Baby Wah and a Zoom G5 in there at some point. And strings. And innumerable picks...

6. dramaticrunner

dramaticrunner Member

reverend double agent
    gibson r7
    partscasters

LordByron likes this.
  7. ivanh3

ivanh3 Member

What level of guitars are you feeding all these high end modelers?

Next level, sir. Next level...

8. Mango Positive

Mango Positive Member

I'm down to only one guitar at the moment. My next will be some variant of the Strat, but I'm LOVING the Music Man Majesty. I got the same color you did. It's just such a joy to play. Going into a Kemper with HX Effects via 4CM. Sounds great through my headphones and through my Mesa 2x12 cab.

Anthony Newcomb likes this.
  9. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Silver Supporting Member

I usually play the guitars in my signature below, an ES-333, and a Music Man StingRay five.

10. KenG

KenG Member

My R7. But right now its into S Gear or a Vox AV15. Eventually it'll be a Helix LT I think (features & budget driven). When I heard Paul Hindmarsh's early demo and he switched from an LP to a Strat during the demo on one patch, I was pleasantly surprised to hear the patch sound change accordingly. Tells me the character of the guitar need not be masked or overidden by a high end modeller.

Anthony Newcomb likes this.
  11. Deaj

Deaj Silver Supporting Member

I have two electric guitars:

1. a 1987 pre-production PRS CE-24 (then simply labeled 'PRS Electric, silkscreened on the headstock. Alder body, maple neck w/ rosewood fretboard. 4-conductor SD Seth Lover pickups, coil tap switch, three-way pickup selector, jumbo fret wire, nitro finish stripped from back of the neck & replaced with tung oil, bone nut, trem bridge locked in place with tone wood blocks, Hipshot locking tuners.

2. a 'homebrew' USA Custom Guitars 'Super Strat': Alder body, maple/maple 25" scale conversion neck shaped and radiused to closely match the neck on my PRS. Jumbo fretwire. Lindy Fralin 'Unbucker' bridge humbucker pickup, Fralin 'Real 54' strat pickups in neck and middle. Bone nut, Hipshot trem bridge and locking tuners.

Neither are 'high end' instruments and I don't have a lot of money tied up in them but they are well maintained, versatile, and very toneful guitars configured to best suit my hands and ears.

Over the past 3+ decades I've played the PRS through vintage Fenders, Marshalls, Voxes, etc, Mesa/Boogie's, various Valco made small tube combos, a rack rig, various modified tube amps, a variety of boutique amps from Fender and Marshall to Dumble ODS flavors, and now two generations of Fractal Audio AxeFX modelers. The guitars sound the same now through an AxeAx II -> Atomic CLR rig as they have through the years using a wide array of traditional tube guitar amps.

I have owned and played other guitars (and basses) over the years from Squire and PRS SE models to Tom Anderson and PRS Artist Series models. These too each carried their own sonic character from rig to rig and through modelers as well.

IMHO: If it sounds good it is good, regardless of what it's played through (be it a modeler or a traditional analog rig). Price, reputation, etc. will not necessarily dictate how musical an instrument will sound. I built and own a Squire Vintage Vibe 60's P-Bass, assembled using a body and neck (purchased super cheap off Ebay from different sellers) and USA Fender Vintage Reissue and Deluxe parts that I already had on hand from other projects. I'm into this bass for ~$100 and it's one of the best sounding P-Basses ive ever owned or played.

My first guitar was a Matumoku built Vantage Avenger AV-330 Strat type (alder body, maple/maple neck), $300 new w/ HSC. I played that guitar as my primary for eight years, until the frets were played down to the wood (bridge single coil was swapped out for a SD humbucker within the first year - a poor man's super Strat). That Vantage saw a lot of guitars pass through my hands, some were very nice guitars - two Gibson LesLPauls (one was a 74 Custom in cream/white), a Fender Strat Plus, an Ibanez 540 Sabre, quite a few others. That Vantage remained on top until I bought the 'PRS Electric' in '87. I built the USA Custom Guitars Strat in 2005, after nearly two decades looking for a suitable strat, to replicate the sound of the Vantage. A close friend of mine owns and regularly plays my old Vantage so I was able to get an accurate weight for the body. The USACG strat hit the mark nearly perfectly! This said it took ~$1,100 in parts and a lot of effort to effectively capture the sound and vibe of a $300 Japanese guitar.

Again, price and reputation are not reliable indicators of how musical a guitar will sound.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
    Sascha Franck likes this.