Official Mesa Stiletto Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by amdowell, May 10, 2015.

1. amdowell

amdowell Supporting Member

Alright, ladies and gents, we have the official "Thank Oden that they don't make the stiletto anymore!" Thread. But, what about us folks who really dig the Stiletto? Let me hear your voices! What overdrives are you using? Share your settings. Show your rigs! Let's be proud!

Mesa Stiletto Ace into a Mesa vertical 2x12 with a WGS ET65 on top and Veteran 30 on bottom. Sounds HUGE!

[​IMG]

With...
    [​IMG]
    I really dig the Sparkle Drive, but I can't help but wonder if there's a better lead booster. Probably not though haha.

Close-up of my current, lower volume settings:

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 11, 2015
    TubeStack likes this.
  2. RockBlocker

RockBlocker Member

I love these amps...Deuce Stage II...AC booster is my favourite.
    I have never managed to play the second channel. I live on Channel 1 crunch mode spongy setting tube rectified. I play through greenbacks.

TubeStack likes this.
  3. manimal

manimal Member

[​IMG]
    Such an awesome amp. Seriously been through close to 12+ amps in the last 6 years and this one is a keeper. Can't wait to record with it! Playing Spongy and Tube rec lately, channel 2 on tight gain. Medium gain. Thick thumpy chewy sounding perfected brown sound. Wow!!

TubeStack likes this.
  4. duderanimous

duderanimous Monsterpiece Fuzz - Fuzz Master Extraordinaire Silver Supporting Member

my Stiletto ACE is a magnificent Beast of an amp.

*** full disclosure.... I no longer own the Stiletto ACE. While it was a fabulous amp that I loved, it was eventually replaced/forced out by a Marshall JVM410H ***

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
  5. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

Looking at a Trident stage 1 right now. Maybe. Maybe.

6. amdowell

I like your style! I've been pretty much living there myself. Spongy and tube rectified, riding the volume knob for cleans, delay in the loop! I check in to channel 2 every once in awhile to satisfy my heavy, heavy riffing needs. Just rehearsed some killer Alice in Chains stuff and channel 2 is IT for that!

TubeStack likes this.
  7. fjs1962

fjs1962 Silver Supporting Member

I have a Stage II Deuce that I use for times when I need a "Marshall" sound. It reminds me a lot of the JCM800 I used to have when I use the crunch modes. Tite gain is like a hot rodded JCM800 to me. I play it either through a Mesa 412 Traditional cab or a Royal Atlantic 212. Both cabs have Mesa V30s.

I can see why these amps get the reputation of being bright and a little harsh. If you're not in a situation where you can turn it up some that's what happens. But get them turned up to "drummer" level and the sound fills out and thickens up nicely.

I really like my OCD with the gain set low to push the Stiletto a little harder. Since it has plenty of gain to begin with you really don't need overdrives with it. Sounds great with fuzz pedals too. Lately I've been digging the Keeley Fuzz Head with the Stiletto.

TubeStack likes this.
  8. Cirrus

Cirrus Member

Love my Ace 2x12 combo, as I said in the other thread it was a bit of a surprise as I'd only bought it to use temporarily. The clean channel takes pedals really well - I run an SD-1, Rat and Big Muff into mine - as well as having a great clean chime in its own right. The second channel is awesome, live I run mine in crunch mode with the gain around halfway then SD-1 boosts it for more sustain/ tightness.

I use the valve rectifier in both channels because a bit of spongeyness, especially in a one guitar band, is a good thing.

Oh, and the great series effects loop and solo boost are kinda cool too. But mainly, it's a tone machine.

TubeStack likes this.
  9. imjustadrummer

imjustadrummer Member

ACE head into Marshall G1265 4x12... new rig for me from the Mark V:25...

I will boost with Barber's 1/2 Gainer or Tone Press

This amp is Fantastic!!! Very addictive feel and sounds great with a drummer.

TubeStack likes this.
  10. amdowell

:beer

11. amdowell

Here's a quick, cell phone video demo of my Stiletto in crunch mode. I'm using my volume knob on my Les Paul to get the varying sounds. Used a Ditto to do a quick loop with delay from my Flashback. It's nothing fancy, but I think it sounds cool.

Cirrus and TubeStack like this.
  12. jamme61

jamme61 Supporting Member

I just picked up a stage I lovin it. This is a fantastic amp once you learn how to dial it in. I get why people say it's too bright but just use the tone controls - use the mid pot to add treble and cut the treble control to 10 or 11 o'clock this amp sounds great IMHO love the looks of it too

TubeStack likes this.
  13. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

I had a stage one. Nice amp. Wish I'd have kept it now.

TubeStack likes this.
  14. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

Which crate? 1/12 or 2/12? Had one for years.

15. duderanimous

duderanimous Monsterpiece Fuzz - Fuzz Master Extraordinaire Silver Supporting Member

Hi Mike. That was a Crate VC3112 from 1993. Don't have it anymore, though. Traded it towards a Seagull acoustic about a month or so ago

I still have that Stiletto. That one is not going anywhere. I have a pair of Scumback M75-LD 65 watters in it now, sitting atop an ear candy buzzbomb 2x12 loaded with Celestion G12H-30 70th Annis for a makeshift half stack

TubeStack likes this.
  16. PBGas

PBGas Supporting Member

I've owned a couple of the Ace combo's over the years. I really liked them! Still not sure why I didn't keep them. They had everything I needed. Closed back 1x12, EL-34, great gain and clean, takes a boost pedal well, cooling fan for tubes. I wasn't sure if the loop on them was all that great though. Maybe that was issue I had....who knows.

17. jamme61

jamme61 Supporting Member

I see these amps going really cheap -great buy right now IMHO had to get one for looks alone.
    Honeymoon time. picked up stage one with FD mod

Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
    TubeStack likes this.
  18. amdowell

A recent thread about something else entirely brought me back here to say: After several months of gigging my Stiletto Ace. I still love it. Love everything about it. Sounds incredible. AND I get CONSTANT compliments on my tone from other musicians. So, yeah, suck on that nay-sayers.

TubeStack, dimarzio77 and DV52 like this.
  19. BoneSaw

BoneSaw Member

Great amps. I had a stage two head. Loved it. I was offered a trade for a Mark IV for it so I took it. I'll own one again. They are an absolute steal at what they go for these days. They are not bright if you turn down the treble.:idea Also hotter power tubes help a lot

TubeStack likes this.
  20. DV52

DV52 Member

Gassed for one and did not pull the trigger .