Official PedalworX Summer 2006 Tourbox Thread

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by gururyan, Jun 28, 2006.

1. gururyan

gururyan Member

PedalworX

I believe I will be receiving said box in the next day or two and noticed that there isn't a thread yet on it. If you have received this tourbox, could you please post your comments/clips on the pedals within?

2. Bonedance

Bonedance Member

Well....I was lucky enough to get on the tour box list and spent some quality time with Georges pedals a few weeks ago.

I've been a huge fan ever since a good buddy sent me his Texas Two Step to try out. I'm happy to say, I now have a 2 Step of my own and it continues to provide killer tones and inspiration.

There were 5 pedals in the box...4 prototypes in non descript boxes and an old style Cactus Crunch.

Guitars used: Homebrew USACG chambered mahogany tele, stock 71 telecaster, 78 Tokai strat, early 90's PRS EG-3, 1967 ES-335 and a lipstick pup Telestar "Mona." Amps used were a Winfield Thomas Elizabeth, Roland BC-60 Bluescube, Fender Automatic SE and a Behringer V-Amp ll with headphones.

First up was a pedal marked #1. If I was forced to only have one overdrive pedal, this may well be it. While I have not had the pleasure of trying a Zen Drive, I would imagine it has similar tones to this beauty. Ford/Carltonesque type tones abound in this little box. In addition to the volume, tone and gain knobs was one marked "clarity"....the interaction between the clairty and tone knob provided a wealth of tone shaping. There are just a ton of excellent tones in this box. I prefer low gain tones and this pedal certainly excelled in that area. What really got me was how good it sounded with the drive cranked. Chords retained definition and single note lines sang with sweet resolve. Each guitar retained it's own unique voice. Upon checking the pedalworx website, I see this one will be "The Tejas" and is billed as the ultimate TS-808. The clairy knob is now called spice. I'll tell you what, I have never heard a TS type pedal sound this good.....my favorite pedal of the bunch.

Next up was a red pedal about the size of the old MXR Phase 100. With a single knob t ocontrol speed, it reminded me of a cross between a trem and auto-wha. While there were some very trippy tones to be found, i found it a bit bass heavy when i cycled back. The addition of a mini switch to toggle between a few different caps would really enhance the pedal. Even though I'm not much of an auto-wha type guy, I had a blast with this thing.

Third was a blue box similar in size to the red pedal above. This was a dual pedal. Two footswitches and two sets of controls ( gain and volume ) with no tone control. Again, checking hte Pedalworx site, this one will be billed as the Double D..or "Yngwie in a box" as they say it's like two DOD 250's in one box. Wow.....this pedal has some serious gain and power. One side would be more than enough for me, but the ability to cascade one into the other or set one for crunch and the other for lead adds to it's versitility. Even with the the incredible amount of gain this baby produced, it still retained it's clarity. Even though I'm not much on hig gain, i could still use a pedal like this in my tone arsenal!

Fourth up was an MXR sized box named "Bad Bob"....not to be confused with the boost pedal of the same name, this one is more fuzz/high gain distortion. Two knobs and a blistering amount of gain on tap. I was impressed with the way this pedal responds and interacts with the guitars volume control......with the gain up and the guitars volume down to half, it became very responsive to how hard you hit the stirngs. A light touch resulted in a nice sparkle to the clean tones and a heavier touch added a cool gritiness. Lots of cool tones reside between half and full on the guitars volume control.

Lastly, was an old style Cactus Crunch. I could live very well with the Tejas and the Cactus Crunch. I did not try this one at 18 volts and now wish I would have. Great clarity with chords and single notes. Once again, killer low gain tones. As the gain knob goes up, the harmonic content just starts to bristleand smoke! As with most of Georges pedals I've tried, it has that wonderful, organic massaging of the notes.....hard to put into words....I guess it's a feel thing....like an extention of your hands, heart and guitar. Very inspiring and responsive to picking dynamics.

I am very impressed with these pedals. With are so many awesome overdrives out there today, it can become a bit daunting wading through the hyperbole. In my humble opinion, these pedals are the real deal and would make a nice addition to ones tonal pallet. Good stuff indeed!

3. gururyan

gururyan Member

Thank you, I look forward to receiving the box...hopefully tomorrow!

4. Bonedance

Bonedance Member

Cool....I'll look forward to your thoughts on the pedals. Can't get that Tejas off my mind!

5. gururyan

gururyan Member

Guess what just knocked on my door...

[​IMG]

Ok, time for some identification.

Top row (left to right):
    Tejas (unique 808 clone) new!
    "unnamed" (drive built by Bob McBroom, used by King's X guitarist)
    "unnamed" (experimental, based on wah circuit...think tremolo+wah)

Bottom row (left to right):
    Cactus Crunch (new 2006 version, George's baby) new!
    Cactus Crunch (original version in DonneR Box)
    Double D (double, grey spec. DOD 250) new!

6. gururyan

gururyan Member

Ok, these are my initial thoughts on the pedals. I will come back and edit any changes as I spend more time with the pedals.

See sig for guitars/amps used in this test.

Tejas
    There are types of overdrives that just don't quite do it for me or my style, and in contrast to the Bonedance's review...it didn't do it for me. I like some lower end in my overdrive and the "Tone" control doesn't reach the areas I prefer. I did like the "Spice" control and was able to control some of the compression. There is a nice amount of boost and gain in this box but I would also consider this more of a low gain overdrive. I preferred it with my P90's and would have to imagine that the Tejas would sound very nice on a hollowbody with humbuckers. Overall, this pedal was possibly my least favorite of the box. I will give it some more playing time over the holiday weekend, hopefully we can learn to get along.

"unnamed" (Bob McBroom)
    Ooooooooo, I like this one. Simplicity is beautiful. The amount of boost that is on tap is actually quite insane...so much so it makes you laugh and speak in french. The Gain is very sensitive to your guitar and attack. I thought of the Toadworks pedal, Enveloope, and how it allows you to access another effect by your attack. Well, I could easily go from some pretty fingerpicking to wailing some monstrous fuzz just by a slight change in my attack. The chord definition was also a surprise as it was still clearly defined and not torn apart. Another and interesting aspect was how much all three of my amps liked this pedal. I do not have many pedals that get along well with all the amps, but it was a love triangle. This one was a hit with me and my rig. I'm guessing that since Bob retired, I am going to have to keep this one and not send it on with the tourbox. Sorry to those next on the list, you're going to miss out.

"unnamed" (experimental trem/wah)
    What a relief to get some modulation in after all the abuse and ear fatigue from all the dirt and high volumes I have been playing this evening. This was a sound for sore ears. It was also very fun to hear an effect that you haven't quite heard before. Think of a tremolo and wah getting it on. This pedal is an experiment, a project gone awry. It needs some work and more controls, but I would say it has potential and is worth spending more time and research on. I would like to see control over the sweep range. Also, a mix control would be extremely nice as it could be a bit overpowering...a more subtle effect would be more usable I believe. Oh yes!...and a sag control for sure! The battery just happened to die on me while I was playing it and boy did it offer some VERY cool effects! Take note George, "SAG via Voltage AND Resistance" is the key on this one! There was a definite issue with clock noise however. It was very loud and could even still be heard when the pedal was turned off, clearly a candidate for true-bypass.

Cactus Crunch (new, 2006 version)
    I can see why George is so pleased with this one. I hooked up my Timmy so I could A/B it with this new and improved CC. I have some more testing to do with it, but let's just say that I may have a Timmy for sale in the emporium soon. I really like this pedal. The reason I mention the Timmy is because I would put them on the same aisle at the grocery store. The reason I am enjoying the CC over the Timmy so far is for a few reasons. The first being amp compatibility. The CC gets along great with all three amps, where the Timmy favors the Fender, gets along with the Vox and is barely on speaking terms with the Palette. Another reason I am favoring the CC is for the available fat bottom...which, if you remember, the Tejas lacked as well. I can dial in such a wide spectrum of frequencies, more so than on the Timmy. Yet another reason is simply the direction of the pots. On the CC, clockwise turns increase where as on the Timmy, turning towards the center of the pedal increases. I forget that on the Timmy when "in the zone" and prefer the normalcy of the CC pots. Now, I am not trying to get Paul and George into the boxing ring, I am just stating what is working out best for my taste, style and rig. In regards to this version over the original, yes...a clear difference and definite improvement to my ears.

(dinner break, to be continued)

EDIT: back from dinner (mmmm, pepperoni pizza!)

Cactus Crunch (original version)
    Well, I shouldn't have played the new version first. It tainted my view of the original. This one is noticeably different, but in ways I have a difficult time putting into words. I did A/B it with the Timmy as I did with the 2006 CC and it was quite different. This isn't the same pedal. I can get some settings on them both to sound similar, but this older version has a different flavor to it...not as deep or thick for lack of a better term. I do like the DonneR Box though! I also prefer the jacks on this one (on top) as compared to the 2006 CC (on sides). I didn't spend as much time with it since I was so happy with the new version and because, well...this one isn't available any longer so...anyway, I'll play with it again over the long weekend.

Double D (aka, The Rising Fjords)
    I was quite surprised by this double DOD 250 duplex. I was not expecting it to appeal to me but, famous last words huh? I had a blast on this monster. Believe it or not, I like this pedal best at bedroom...no, closet levels. I wouldn't have a serious use for it as I don't venture off into these tones often, but it sure was fun to play around with it. Think of an Ibanez with scalloped frets and fluorescent colors...and handkerchiefs tied on everything around...oh, and a belt made of handcuffs. That's what this pedal is.

Well, I have only had about 2 hours total with these pedals. I still have combinations of guitar/amp I haven't tried on each...then there is the whole stacking angle and compatibility with my current pedal line up. Lucky for me I got the box on a 4 day weekend and have lots of time off to try all these out over and over. I was disappointed not to see a Texas Two Step in the box as it was that one and the Cactus Crunch I have been wanting to try for so long. Well, that's going to do it for now. I will edit and update as the weekend progresses and if any opinions change.

Oh, and I should mention:
    Overall, every pedal felt very well built and there were never any pops or scratches with the pots or jacks...well, with the exception of the unnamed, experimental trem/wah which did give me one funny freak out on the pot.

Thanks for listening,
    Ryan

7. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

gururyan, what a great review! i should not even post but here goes, i too enjoyed the tourbox. i
    feel a lot different about the timmy/cactus being similar. i ended up getting a cactus crunch/donneR box. sexy as hell, anyhoo...... to me it falls into a klonish *umble like tone if you
    will. to me the secret weapon to the cactus is the bass control, setting the drive at a medium setting and the bass high,treble flat yields some smooth sustain for daze notes even with a strat. i
    love the timmy for chords,and solos with a touch of hair. the cactus to me is strictly a lead pedal.
    i can cop carlos,carlton, ford tones pretty easy with this box, and you are right it is good with any amp and guitar. the compression on the cactus is perfect! i ended up with the same settings george suggests on his site before he posted em! spooky ****! thanks again!
    aldo............

8. gururyan

gururyan Member

Thanks!
    You have the older CC right? Yeah, the older one isn't similar to the Timmy. Have you gotten to try the 2006 CC?

9. GBlekas

GBlekas Supporting Member

Hey all,

First off, I am glad you are digging the CC 2006 and that all that work wasn't just an excercise in futility!

Secondly, after finishing up the CC I spoke with Paul C. about what's under the hood since we do stuff like that with one another and are friends.

I feel honored that you guys are comparing ithe CC 2006 to one of Paul's designs because in my opinion Paul C. is one of the most knowledgable builders out there!

I wish our USA based tone fanatics a happy and health 4th of July and hope ya'll enjoy the tour box!

Regards,
    George

www.PedalworX.com

10. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

no, i have the new 2006! went back to the woodshed last night and raised the treble to around 1-2,
    and now i find it handles chords really well. running at 18 volts internally is a great feature on this
    box and yields so many tonal options, without.........internal trimmers, toggles etc. i like that. this box is vastly superior to the first version CC. to those who bought the original, if you like it...great! if you don't have george upgrade it for you, you will be happy as a clam! i'm glad i waited
    remember....... do not run a pedal that is not true bypass in front of the cc. I.E. tube screamer,etc.
    at practice yesterday i put the barber LTD 2nd in the chain behind the CC, later when i reversed the order, it was a much better sound. this stuff does matter. thanks george for the chat this morning, and a pedal that will get a lot of use!:BluesBros

11. gururyan

gururyan Member

Thanks for the heads up, I plan to start stacking tonight/tomorrow. I will start with that suggestion...or did you not mean to stack? Either way, I will stack it to see what happens.

12. gururyan

gururyan Member

Ok, had more time with all the pedals.

As far as stacking goes, the Tejas into the 2006 CC IS a good combination. The other way around was awful. When I ran the Tejas into the 2006 CC, I was able to hear the tonal palette for the Tejas much better and thus understood it better on it's own. I would rename the Tejas, "Schnoz", as it adds a good nasal type character to the tone. I do like this pedal better now that I understand it more and how to use it...but still not enough to warrant it's purchase. If it had a bass pot, then we'd talk.

I also let the Timmy and 2006 CC play around together some more. Yeah, I can see a wider difference in them now after putting them through my entire catalog of "skills". I would still put them on the same grocery aisle though. To get to the point, Cactus Crunch = rhythm/grit/gain and the Timmy = lead/harmonic/tubey. They both pushed the DD30 around nicely, but went back to the Timmy for those duties.

I run my fuzzes after my od, I prefer it that way. The CC is the one time I preferred the fuzz first. I enjoyed what it would do to the MJM London Fuzz...particularly the compression. The Huckleberry got along great with the Schnoz, err...Tejas. Bob McBroom's "unnamed" continued to grow on me even more and I am going to have a really hard time packing it up and sending it on. There is something inside that box going on, more than just what the controls say. I don't know what it is, but it is similar to the reason many of us leave our clean boost on all the time...it adds something besides boost/gain.

In the end, I would keep two pedals as is from this box...the 2006 CC and Bob's "unnamed". I do look forward to what becomes of the experimental trem/wah and plan to keep a close eye on George's site for any updates.

13. GBlekas

GBlekas Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Here is what the Tejas will look like.
    It's a 4 knob TS-808.
    I know one might say about another TS-808 but the spice knob is cool and takes it from the TS compression to nearly a treble boost.

As stated this type should come before the CC since the CC is an enhancing type pedal

Thanks for the review Gururyan

Regards,
    George

14. gururyan

gururyan Member

That was exactly my experience with it. I did like the combination of the two, really had a nice tone to it...unique even.

George, I guess I better let the next person have the box...email me the next lucky person so I can get it out to them. And let me know if I have to include Bob's "unnamed" in the box. Speaking of, I guess that pedal will not be available until Bob comes out of retirement?

15. Rollo Timbre

Rollo Timbre Member

I received the Pedalworx Tour box today, with six pedals in it. Man, it feels like Christmas. I tried everything with a Marshall style 50 watt half-stack and an old strat.

• First off is the single knob Red box with deluxe paint job. If you think Levis have a lot of finishes for their jeans, you’ve never seen a pedal look like this. It has this great texture about it. I like to call it clumpy. Oh, but how does it sound? Ok, this pedal produces what some would call an auto wah sound. Except this pedal’s wah tones are great. It imbues your base sound with a superbly tuned shimmery wah sound that adds a unique throbbing texture to your sound. Could it be a somewhat clumpy texture like its paint job? Hmmm, perhaps. There are some bugs still to be worked out, as there’s a persistent clock or thumping background noise happening, but overall it’s pretty cool. To me, it’s like a marriage of a wah and a Tremodillo.

• Next up was the Double D, which is two clones of the old grey DOD 250, made famous by some Swedish dude, put in one enclosure. To my ears, the right channel had a smidgen more bass happening. And like the original, the more drive, the more treble kicks in. To get totally Yngwiefied, run both channels together for some pretty cool over-the-top tones. But, for my use, I’d love to have a clone of just the first channel. It seems to have a little bigger but firmer bottom than my 3 knob Slow Burn, and also a little more gain on tap. I love the amount of articulation this pedal lets you have, which makes it perfect for both chord and lead work. It was also sounding a bit tighter than my godly old Distortion +.

• I’ve been curious about the Tejas pedal, after reading some great reviews of it. If you are fond of the old TS style of effect, then this pedal should fit right into your arsenal. The compression feel of this pedal, is about the same as a tubescreamer, but the Tejas also features the “Clarity” knob, which I feel could be called the Blanket knob. Turning the knob clockwise sounds like you’re gradually taking the blanket off the amp. It still retains its characteristic compressive feel, but the sound gets more open. Also, this pedal has a lot more available drive than your typical green box pedal. The overdrive available on this sucka’ would be more akin to something like a Blue Collar. The tone control also does a treble boost after around 2:00. Yeowza—a lot of features in this little pedal.

• Out of a box labeled The Bad Bob, came a one-off two knob boost pedal from Bob McBroom. On the transparency scale, this pedal is pretty far from opaque. It really preserves the sound and feel of what you had happening before you step on the pedal. Then besides the Volume control, it also has a control labeled “G”. Finding the pedals G spot is a joy. The more you flick it, the juicier the tone gets, with just a touch of hair.

• Finally, we have the Troy T. name that pedal winner pedal, the Cactus Crunch. Included in the Tour box, are both the original version, and the new 2006 model. The touch and feel these pedals give to your notes are about the same. The original did have a bit more drive, however, as the drive on the old version set to 11:00, is about equal to the 2006 model set to 2:00. On the old one, with the bass and treble controls at noon, the overall tone color was pretty much what was going into it—very natural. However, I found you couldn’t really dial in the needed midrange, if you really wanted this baby to cut its way in a band situation. On the 2006 model, with both tone controls at noon, it sounds as if the tone is boosted about 20db around 2kHz. Turning the bass knob past 2:30 starts boosting the tone in about the 200 Hz zone, and cranking the treble knob boosts the tone in the area of 10 kHz. Thus, one is able to somewhat effectively flatten out the frequency response of the pedal, though always retaining enough of the ^%#^$% to allow it to cut through the mix. Internally, the voltage is converted to 18volts and this helps it to produce the perfect blend between feel, touch, clarity, and amp-like crunch. It is the type of sound and feel that engenders playing until your fingers are streaking claret across the fretboard!

Thank you to George for making these available. I think I have a couple of new favorites here.

16. Swain

Swain Member

Well,

AWESOME! :dude

That's my overall impression of the PEDALWORX stuff.
    I had tried a Dirty Angel once, and it just didn't work for me at the time. Other than that, I'd never had the opportunity to sample Mr. Blekas's work. The Tourbox is such a great thing for those of us who don't have a shop compariable to TOYZ, nearby. (If such a thing exists)!

First up: The Double D (Rising Fjords).
    Hair Metal. It seemed to have a real 80s HM type of thing going. I'm sure it would be just the ticket with a JCM 900. Lots of gain. 2 channels. I preferred the 1st. channel's voicing. But, both channels were similar. This pedal had a high end that reminded me of a Komet clone I've tried. Very nice pedal, with a lot of clarity. Probably great for clearing up a dark, or muddy sounding amp, or room.
    I must admit....I just HAD to jam out to "The Last In Line", and "Holy Diver" a few times! [​IMG]

Bad Bob:
    Is it a Boost with Fuzz? Pretty cool how it seemed to have (again), such clarity in the higher gain settings. Seemed to respond extremely well to picking dynamics, and attack. I liked it most, stacked with other pedals. Running it at lower gain settings after a FD2, seemed to make the FD2 even clearer. It also imparted some of it's dynamics to the tone. Really nice.

Red Pedal: Mystery Tone?
    I usually only use ODs, Echoes, and Choruses. So, this is a little out of my realm of semi-expertise. Seemed to have an Auto-Wah type of response. It seemed to add more effect, with more pick attack. Also, was warm and fat sounding. I could see how many guitarists would find this pedal addicting, and making it a regular part of their palette.

Cactus Crunch: Old Style, Brown DonnerBox.
    Into a BlackFace or Hot Rod Deville, it seemed to immediately thicken the tones. Also, it made these Fenders start approaching Marshall textures, and tones. If you have a Hot Rod amp, this could be your ticket to extended versatility. Into my Budda, it was too thick sounding! But with the Blk. Face amps, I was immediately addicted. YEAH!

Cactus Crunch: New Style.
    What a GREAT pedal! It definately had more of that clarity, than the older style CC. While I really loved the thickness of the older CC, the newer version is infinately more versatile.
    By itself, I got some grear Stonesy dirty rhythm tones with the split humbucker settings on my Warmoth guitar. I found a good bit of variety with pedal settings like this: Drive-9:00, Vol.-10:00, Bass-3:30, Treble-5:00 (WFO).
    It stacks really well. I didn't really like it with the FD2. But, either before or after the Blues Pro, it was a killer. Really aggressive, and lively.
    For my tastes, It was a little too harsh sounding with the ultra-clear TC SCF. But with the warm BYOC Chorus/Vibrato it was INCREDIBLE! They had a really magical combination of warm, yet clear tones. [​IMG]
    I can see where this newer CC could be a Godsend for for someone who uses a lot of modulation effects. I think it could make the difference between a relatively good tone, and one that really cuts through a mix and shines.
    Through the Budda amp, it worked better with the FD2. Added some more clarity and definition, when playing high up on the neck.
    Overall, a great tool. Lots of uses. I could probably keep finding more applications, if I had a couple more months with this thing!

Tejas:
    Similar compression as the FD2. But, with more gain. Not as "stringy", but brighter, and more defined than the FD2. Seems to have an excellent Treble Boost effect, that worked really well with the Budda. I liked having that boost. I could control even more high end from my guitar's tone knob.
    Mostly, I preferred the Clarity (Spice) knob rotated CCW. But, I think this control could help you dial this pedal into just about any guitar and amp rig. A very versatile pedal.
    Running the Tejas into the new style CC, I found some very cool tones into the Budda. I liked these settings: Tejas Vol.-Noon (unity gain, at the volume I was playing), Drive-Noon, Claruty-7:00 (fully CCW), Tone-5:00 (WFO). New CC Drive-7:00 (All the way down), Vol. 11:00 (Unity), Bass-5:00 (WFO), Treble-5:00 (WFO).

Well, I really loved this chance to sample the Pedalworx stuff. There are some really special tones to be found in these pedals. A Tejas, and a new CC, is a great combo. A 2 channel older/newer CC would be incredible. Is this "Spice" knob on the TTS? That's another pedal I've been wanting to try, for a LOOOONG time. I could keep on going with this. Another couple of years with these pedals, would possibly give me enough time to fully explore the available combinations. Thanks George. Thanks TOYZ. Whew! I'd give this experience 3 thumbs up. But, I'm not from Kentucky, so you'll have to settle for 2! [​IMG]