Official Quad Cortex Owners Discussions

Deanjam

At full knob volume, is there any sort of way to get a neutral overall volume boost without changing amp or capture volume settings? A good number of patches or captures seem to have really low volume. And raising the volume or gain sometimes just seems to add distortion, which is not always a good thing.
I have actually spent a lot of time on volume. Lots of presets are really low, lots of clean modes have low master too. Once I’ve set the Amp how I like it as a default I have at least 6db increase on Ins level and then add the required Db to the preset output.

I still haven’t quite nailed it, I’d like to be nowhere near max using headphones. I have to adjust the USB input level loads as it’s so loud.

Darrell456

Coukd try the QC headphone out into any sort of powered speaker, then use a free dB meter app on your phone to measure the relative difference.
I did try that. It's kind of interesting. There's not really a volume difference according to the DB meters. It's more of a distinct electrical sounding artifact added in the mix that is very noticeable to the human ear. What I wanted to do is record the sounds into my DAW and post them for others to evaluate on their own.

Fireproof

Silver Supporting Member
So then this thread should have been started on the Neural DSP forum. This is TGP, members are free to chime in as they wish. Telling anyone who chips in that their opinions aren't welcome because they don't own the unit just comes across as a bit elitist and sad.
I struggle to see how starting a specific thread with the intent of actual users helping other users with USAGE TIPS is elitist.

Excuse some of us for wanting to actually stay on topic. And have a place to help each other get the most out of the device. Versus rehashing “why buy / QC isn’t launch ready / why I don’t like it / etc” comments. After all - isn’t that why you can create multiple threads for different discussion topics?

The question I have is why you and others feel you have to share your opinions here when there is another thread more appropriate to that discussion.

But I’m not the thread police so do what you want.

Darrell456

I also want to bring to the forums attention that the folks over at Sweet foot who sell their own QC power supply completely ignored my last email to them that stated their power supply did not fix the grounding issue for me as they stated it would. I reached out to them in an effort to create a dialog and see if perhaps it was unique to my unit or their design. They want to charge me a restock fee to return.

The cioks DC7 works well. I wish sweet foot would have worked with me but oh well. Chock it up to a hundred dollar learning experience.

JiveTurkey

Trumpets and Tants
Silver Supporting Member
I struggle to see how starting a specific thread with the intent of actual users helping other users with USAGE TIPS is elitist.

Excuse some of us for wanting to actually stay on topic. And have a place to help each other get the most out of the device. Versus rehashing “why buy / QC isn’t launch ready / why I don’t like it / etc” comments. After all - isn’t that why you can create multiple threads for different discussion topics?

The question I have is why you and others feel you have to share your opinions here when there is another thread more appropriate to that discussion.

But I’m not the thread police so do what you want.
FP; you're good people. Sorry for contributing to the noise in here.

Fireproof

Silver Supporting Member
FP; you're good people. Sorry for contributing to the noise in here.
Hey brother - no worries. I appreciate the comment. A little noise is to be expected. But when people get bent out of shape that they can’t create even more noise and call some of us elitist for wanting to minimize said noise - I just thought that was not reasonable.

Anyway - thanks and carry on. We are all here to learn what it can and can’t do and certainly part of that is pointing out what it can’t do for owners and potential buyers.

Whizzinby

Silver Supporting Member
While you are considering external IRs, you should check out the Mikko plugin from ML Soundlabs. None of the normal IR packs will have the movable mic options like the QC, but Mikko does and does it better with more options compared to the QC. You would dial it in using the plugin on your computer then save and export the blended IR from Mikko into your QC when you are happy with it. There is a free trial with a Mesa V30 cab to see if you like it.

You are right that a significant amount if the EQ and feel comes from the IR. I wish Neural would expand the amount of mic and cabs that you can mix in a single cab block so that I don't have to rely on out of the box, external plugins to get the right IR blend (multi mics on V30s mixed with some Creambacks and Greenbacks and with appropriate high and low cuts).
So the normal IR pack has a variety of IRs with the mics placed differently? So unlike the QC irs that you can dynamically change mic positions, you have to manually load a new IR for each mic position?

I actually looked at the Mikko player. So basically you buy a license for a set speaker collection, then you mix and match mics until you get one you like, then export it?

Whizzinby

Silver Supporting Member
It really does. I have an Ownhammer pack from my Helix days. I’ve uploaded them via the Neural website and auditioned a few but from an hour of fiddling I preferred the stock Cabs, especially once I changed mic positions.

I may have been using a longwinded method but I changed the 10 IRS without listening and then used the undo button to audition 10 IRS without navigating the menus. It’s a ‘hack’ a use for auditioning effects etc.

All IRS loaded will be static. Have you deep explored the mic positions and types?
So you don’t think it’s worth the time, effort or $$$ to pursue? (Relative to the QC stock cabs)

Whizzinby

Silver Supporting Member
I have actually spent a lot of time on volume. Lots of presets are really low, lots of clean modes have low master too. Once I’ve set the Amp how I like it as a default I have at least 6db increase on Ins level and then add the required Db to the preset output.

I still haven’t quite nailed it, I’d like to be nowhere near max using headphones. I have to adjust the USB input level loads as it’s so loud.
Do the instrument in and line out volume levels affect the tone, or does it have no EQ impact?Hard to no what actually influences tone and what doesn’t. I always assume the Master volumes in the amp blocks affect power stage gain, but the other output levels do not.

Deanjam

Do the instrument in and line out volume levels affect the tone, or does it have no EQ impact?Hard to no what actually influences tone and what doesn’t. I always assume the Master volumes in the amp blocks affect power stage gain, but the other output levels do not.
I feel like the Instrument level doesn’t, It’s so low on the meters as default too. Only the Amp Block should affect tone but someone with more knowledge than me can chip in. With everything set as default on the QC it does seem too quiet.

From memory, 5db on the INS level brought no additional noise but 5db on the output added some hiss. I’ll check again tonight as at one point was hearing noise sleeping:)

Tonatic

Hey brother - no worries. I appreciate the comment. A little noise is to be expected. But when people get bent out of shape that they can’t create even more noise and call some of us elitist for wanting to minimize said noise - I just thought that was not reasonable.

Anyway - thanks and carry on. We are all here to learn what it can and can’t do and certainly part of that is pointing out what it can’t do for owners and potential buyers.
Truth! I'm on what I thought was an owners discussion thread, learning from other QC newbie's like myself with real hands on experiences. NDSP forums have a handful of useful posts (and users IMHO), like most sites when the products get spun up. Trolling on QC should be done on the other threads, where everyone whines about everything under the sun, including pricing, shipping delays, feature XYZ, etc. Owners like myself chose NOT to buy the other often mentioned competing products for a reason, and I'm here to glean wisdom from other owners... or so I thought.

Last edited:

napalmdeath

Hello guys, apologies if the question was asked before but I'd like to know do you set up your input gain in the swipe down menu on QC like on an interface for recording so it just almost clips or just leave it at 0db? At the moment with my hot pickups I have it at +12db on the virtual knob so at the highest I reach about -2dB on the meter

Fireproof

Silver Supporting Member
So you don’t think it’s worth the time, effort or $$$ to pursue? (Relative to the QC stock cabs)
I don’t, the cabs are fine for me. There is enough variety to get close auditioning through the default settings and then I just tweak mics/placement from there.
I agree. With my Helix Stomp and Helix Floor I have preferred York Audio IRs versus stock cabs.

So when I got the QC - I loaded in some of my favorite YA IRs to try, but have really enjoyed the QC stock cabs. Great tones straightaway and easy to tweak the mic position with the touchscreen.

At this point most of my presets I’ve made use the stock cabs! I don’t feel like I’m missing anything.

One nit: I do wish Neural would create a custom IR Block that you insert instead of using the stock cabs and then having to swap out a microphone on one side and turn off the cab on the other side unless you intend to blend two IRs etc.

mattt67

I agree. With my Helix Stomp and Helix Floor I have preferred York Audio IRs versus stock cabs.

So when I got the QC - I loaded in some of my favorite YA IRs to try, but have really enjoyed the QC stock cabs. Great tones straightaway and easy to tweak the mic position with the touchscreen.

At this point most of my presets I’ve made use the stock cabs! I don’t feel like I’m missing anything.

One nit: I do wish Neural would create a custom IR Block that you insert instead of using the stock cabs and then having to swap out a microphone on one side and turn off the cab on the other side unless you intend to blend two IRs etc.
I like York Audio as well. I've used them with my Helix, but also with my NDSP plugins where I prefer them over the stock cabs.
However for some reason, I think my IRs don't sound as good on the QC. First the default volume for IRs is very low compared to the cabs, but I think they sound different than what I'm used to.
Anybody else experiencing this?
Also while we're talking about IRs, I think it's a pita to audition them, and the way they are organized in groups of 8 makes no sense imo, I'd like to organize them in folders.

gitapik

Platinum Supporting Member
Opinions are fine, but some people who do not own the unit or have never tried it seem to have very strong opinions on what it is or is not. Some focus very heavily on just one aspect of the unit and ignore everything else (though I am guilty of that when it comes to Fractal user experience!).

On other forums I've seen people having this "wanting it to fail" mindset because they are put off by hype from Instagram, YouTubers, forums and whatnot. Sometimes it's pure fanboyism for other products which is not good even for QC ownership as witnessed by those unwilling to discuss its shortcomings. This happens for Line6 or Fractal products as well.
I’m seeing all of this, as well.

Reminds me of a gang from a rival town crashing a high school dance. “Hey, it’s a free country. Just checking out your little pumpkin patches”.

And I find it patronizing when I hear (both here and on YouTube) people saying that it’s a nice little toy for a first time user. While I am a first time modeler user, I’m anything but a newbie in music/guitar/gear and (most importantly) life in general. I don’t get swayed by hype but instead do my homework. No knock on any other device. QC checks more boxes for my needs. Simple.

Come on, guys: be real.This is a Users Group thread. Why would you want to chime in when you’re not currently a user? There are already plenty of negative comments and questions coming from QC owners who genuinely want to find a fix and make the unit work better for them. If it doesn’t work out, I’ll move on and get info on other units in the threads that target them. Or maybe blow off modeling entirely.

I joined this thread to get info on a unit I’ve committed myself to so that I can get the most out of it. If you think we’re all suckers; set it up in another thread.

My experience so far.

Pros.

Captures. I have my input level set at same level as guitar is when going into an amp. For my jazzmaster that is 6.3 db. I then set the other level so that it gets near to the maximum level but does not go into the red.

I set up the capture exactly as I would for recording – in my case about 6 inches distant with some off axis direction, depending on the speaker involved.

I think it sounds better with guitar into return 1 and, as I only deal with mono, setting output ½ to full left.

I can hear a bit of the room in the capture, which is good.

In the capture process, I play away on the guitar in the sanity check section after the robot noises. I don’t think it affects the process, but it stops me getting bored.

This is very much more accurate than my experience with profiling on the Kemper in 2012. This is what I got it for so I don’t care about the amp models – which are fine – and I don’t care about comparisons with amp models on the Axe Fx or the Neural Plugs Ins. Tape Delay is good as is vibrato and tremolo. Reverb is OK but I still use my strymon flint for that so no big deal.

Cons

Sometimes weird stuff when no sound goes into the amp when I am at the capture setting. Will generally rectify itself if I turn it off, start again, use a new lead. I’ve tested the old lead and it is not defective.

I once got feedback noise through the capture out and the output ½ when saving a capture. Never happened again. I find the exit button after you have saved your capture, quite difficult to execute and needs a harder push/pushes than any of the other touchscreen buttons.

Lack of detail in cloud captures. I have just discovered that you can write a description in the cloud for your capture and have done that with mine. At a minimum any amp captures should indicate whether they are amp and cab or just amp di’d.

The whole grounding noise issue, especially as regards turning off. Even if you first go to standby, there will be noise when you turn off, so if you play live into a pa, you must remember to disconnect from the QC, with big wheel volume at zero, before you unplug. In the UK live performances still look distant, with the noises coming out about a four week delay to the projected 21 June total end of restrictions.

I like this unit. It is a step up from the vox amplug and from Helix native.