• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Official Quad Cortex Owners Discussions

guitarrob

This sounds like you have a unit with a specific issue, i.e. a defect. If I were you I would return it or push Neural for a replacement. IMHO. The noise thing is pretty well documented here and elsewhere and I have gone back and forth with them over it as well, your situation sounds atypical to me.

This is possible, but I suspect that it’s not, based on what they’ve said. I’ve been willing to wait and see If their long awaited solution works first. If this wait goes on much longer though, I may push for a replacement regardless, to see if indeed my unit is a lemon.

X-Mann

Hey guys, I’m not sure how to post it here (I’ll try)..but Pete Thorn just posted an amazing performance of the end solo of Van Halen’s “Drop Dead Legs” on his IG page.

It’s a Capture of one of his Amps & the Quad Cortex.

Cool stuff & Pete truly does this song justice too.

Link (I hope)

Peace! X

guitarrob

Wondering if any of you guys are able to use latching bypass (using an external footswitch) as shown in this video, with the latest 1.2.2 firmware:

I believe I was able to do so with firmware 1.1.0. I've tried using a Mosky dual switch, a Boss FS5L and a MXR Tap footswitch. I know that a TS cable is required and tested with several of those, but I've tried with a TRS cable as well just in case. No joy in every scenario.

I am able to bypass using an actual expression pedal going heel to toe, but not with a latching or momentary footswitch with FW 1.2.2. Wondering if there an issue with my QC, or is there an issue with the current firmware preventing this? Anybody using external footswitches using the current FW for effects bypass? Any replies would be appreciated.

Last edited:

xush

Wondering if any of you guys are able to use latching bypass (using an external footswitch)
I am able to bypass using an actual expression pedal going heel to toe, but not with a latching or momentary footswitch with FW 1.2.2. Any replies would be appreciated.
I don't have an external footswitch, but using the ME SP1 the switch function (configured as XP2 but with 'latching' off, strangely) still works for me on the newest CorOS. You would definitely need a TRS cable though. I'll see if I can scrounge up a simple footswitch at my other studio later today.

mbenigni

meh, I've given my feedback already, I'll go play some guitar and do my gigs.

Not that I am not interested in your statements, I'm just tired of the amount negativity,
which is worst at every F***ing release, with that kind of feedback, If I was Doug, I would not want to give updates, because I know I'd get such feedback, tough crowd here, really tough.

Meh, indeed. With the kind of sales they’re enjoying? I’ll have to work up some presets for my tiny violin. ;)

Spend some of that revenue and hire a PM.

Last edited:

mbenigni

Wondering if any of you guys are able to use latching bypass (using an external footswitch) as shown in this video, wit the latest 1.2.2 firmware:

I believe I was able to do so with firmware 1.1.0. I've tried using a Mosky dual switch, a Boss FS5L and a MXR Tap footswitch. I know that a TS cable is required and tested with several of those, but I've tried with a TRS cable as well just in case. No joy in every scenario.

I am able to bypass using an actual expression pedal going heel to toe, but not with a latching or momentary footswitch with FW 1.2.2. Wondering if there an issue with my QC, or is there an issue with the current firmware preventing this? Anybody using external footswitches using the current FW for effects bypass? Any replies would be appreciated.

Proper support for external footswitches (as opposed to just expr pedals), with UI selections, MIDI mapping, etc. is also overdue.

Fireproof

Platinum Supporting Member
Thanks for the confirmation! I can confirm from another owner that experienced the ground noise that the Globtek grounded PS also resolved the issues for them as well (for less than $25 shipped). Since anyone who utilizes the QC for live gigging etc., it’s obviously apparent that the OEM PS (nor the Globtek PS) wouldn’t be used anyway due to the need of powering other pedals etc., but glad you were now to resolve your issues with the CIOKS PS! Thanks for the update!
Digi-Key part number: 1939-1233-ND

Digi-Key’s site is showing 18 weeks lead time. Haven’t found any other sources online. If someone does - post here.

This is what I'm using.

Cool - thanks @spikey - this is cheap enough (less than $20 delivered) I’m ordering it to see if it solves my ground noise issue…

gingerale

Amp-in-the-Room sound and QC Volume Tests. The wife was away heh heh.

Setup:
  • QC master knob at 75%
  • Fender 60th Ann. Telecaster bridge pickup (Seymour Duncan Custom Custom Trembucker). Standard tuning.
  • QC Preset was 4A Stereo Lead Scene A with multi-outs set to -1dB
  • Zoom Livetrack L-12 set to unity gain on Master and QC Inputs, 20% gain, compression off, Pad off
  • 2 x Cerwin Vega CVE-10s set to 50% volume and on the Flat Mode setting
First I ran up a couple of tube amps to get a reference tone in my head. A '65 Fender Deluxe Reverb RI set to 8 on the volume and a Fender 30/18 Bassbreaker. Two different sounding amps. I settled on Channel 2 for the Bassbreaker. Both amps were cranked to obtain 110dB on a standalone dB meter 15' away from the amps. It was so loud I couldn't stay in room but what a glorious tone. Reaffirms why a cranked DRRI is such a fantastic tube amp. The bassbreaker was no slouch either, delivering a great blues tone.

These amps were definitely breaking up but not to the point of excessive distortion.

Then I wacked on the QC and settled on a signal that was a little less than 110dB peak. More around 103 to 105dB. It was LOUD. Sounded louder than the tube amps perhaps because the signal was output from 2 speakers. I was able to play the QC for a little longer as my wireless let me move into another room.

Yes, the Amp-in-the-Room sound IS THERE. It was just as glorious as the cranked tube amps. Those who say they can't get that tone, need to crank the QC a bit more and use proper FRFR speakers. Even having my tube amps plugged in and always available to me, I've not felt I was missing anything. If anything, the QC is a better platform as you can get overdriven amp tones without having to crank a real tube amp.

Single note clarity when arpeggiating over a chord was clearer on the QC. On the tube amps, playing a couple of rapid notes on the E and B strings after striking an open chord tended to lose the individual string notes. On the QC, those notes were more clearly heard.

The QC is more than loud enough to gig with in all venues when a mixer is involved. I've not tried going straight to the speakers from the QC as every practice, gig and session is through a mixer of some sort. I know I could have driven the QC to deliver over 110dB considering the CVE's were at 50% volume, the QC volume was at 75% and the multi-outs were set to -1dB.

For those who feel they can't get enough volume, try the CVEs or add a small mixer such as the Yamaha MG06 if your speakers need some additional boosts from the mixer's pre-amps.

Nice post, thanks! I’m also trying out things on high volume now. Band practice around 100 dB volumes or so. My setup is QC - HoTone Loudster - cab with Celestion F12-X200. I put the cab on a speaker stand to get a proper angle and lose some bass boominess. Then my presets sound pretty nice - as they were when setting them up using headphones, as long as I keep the volume reasonable.

However, when turning up I need to adjust. My trick now is to put a low-high cut EQ as the very last thing before the output. Then, when turning up the volume I kick in the EQ too. Sounds pretty good to me, it balances things out. Have you done something similar or adjusted otherwise when playing really loud? Or are you happy with the sound as it is?

sluice

I used @sluice CCV Clean capture today. I agree with others who've said it's a great capture. But man is it loud!

And the Sunbeam preset from NDSP is as good as @Drop the sun said. So versatile. Someone over there is really good at making presets.

Yeah most of my capture are done loud as I have found out that it was key to get the amp dynamics to translate to the QC.

I personally lower the output of my capture block to balance everything out and make sure nothing clips.

Some capture, I run with the output at -2.5dB, other's at -5dB.

guitarrob

I don't have an external footswitch, but using the ME SP1 the switch function (configured as XP2 but with 'latching' off, strangely) still works for me on the newest CorOS. You would definitely need a TRS cable though. I'll see if I can scrounge up a simple footswitch at my other studio later today.

Wondering if you had a chance test with another switch. I have an old Mission Engineering box with two foot switches - tried that as well with no luck on the bypass switching function using a TRS cable.

TonePilot

Silver Supporting Member
Nice post, thanks! I’m also trying out things on high volume now. Band practice around 100 dB volumes or so. My setup is QC - HoTone Loudster - cab with Celestion F12-X200. I put the cab on a speaker stand to get a proper angle and lose some bass boominess. Then my presets sound pretty nice - as they were when setting them up using headphones, as long as I keep the volume reasonable.

However, when turning up I need to adjust. My trick now is to put a low-high cut EQ as the very last thing before the output. Then, when turning up the volume I kick in the EQ too. Sounds pretty good to me, it balances things out. Have you done something similar or adjusted otherwise when playing really loud? Or are you happy with the sound as it is?
At home in the studio, playing with just the guitar, it could use a bit of EQing. Playing with the band, I'm quite happy with the sound and really haven't made any adjustments to the presets. If the room needs EQing, it's usually done at the mixer. If I was playing solo, I'd be EQing a bit though. In most cases, I'd rather be playing and practicing than dialing in the perfect tone. And to be honest, I'd likely just end up making things worse lol.

Top Bottom