• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.
  • On Thursday, January 20, 2022, starting at 7 pm EST, We will take the forum offline to do the necessary upgrades. Estimates are a possible 3-hour total downtime to complete the process. So mark your calendar to play your guitar.

Official Quad Cortex Owners Discussions

Deanjam

Has anyone tried recording via usb? I’m getting noise whilst playing live that isn’t there in the recording. I’m going to try different sockets in the house, I’ve already tested cables. I’ve mentioned before that I have static/ground noise that I can alter when touching the unit.

TonePilot

Silver Supporting Member
Has anyone tried recording via usb? I’m getting noise whilst playing live that isn’t there in the recording. I’m going to try different sockets in the house, I’ve already tested cables. I’ve mentioned before that I have static/ground noise that I can alter when touching the unit.
With the XLR’s connected?

lasserom

I mentioned this earlier, but with my unit there's always excessive ground noise on headphones when not connected to powered studio monitors . To your question, it's there on USB recordings as well unless XLR is also connected. I've asked support whether this is expected, but haven't really gotten a straight answer.

I'm admittedly very ignorant about these things, but is it possible this thing is only grounded via XLR outs? Helix doesn't have this issue, so I would expect it to also work with only headphones plugged in.

Whizzinby

Silver Supporting Member
I mentioned this earlier, but with my unit there's always excessive ground noise on headphones when not connected to powered studio monitors . To your question, it's there on USB recordings as well unless XLR is also connected. I've asked support whether this is expected, but haven't really gotten a straight answer.

I'm admittedly very ignorant about these things, but is it possible this thing is only grounded via XLR outs? Helix doesn't have this issue, so I would expect it to also work with only headphones plugged in.
Hold the phone. So every output type except XLR has excessive ground noise? (USB, TRS, headphone)

Deanjam

Hold the phone. So every output type except XLR has excessive ground noise? (USB, TRS, headphone)
I'm hoping to have more time tonight. I have played through my FR Cab and there is no noise but it's still in the headphones. I'll double check but there seemed to be no noise in my recording when there was no XLR connected.

I need way more time to really enjoy/discover this thing. Work and family are just roadblocks at this point.:)

Whizzinby

Silver Supporting Member
I'm hoping to have more time tonight. I have played through my FR Cab and there is no noise but it's still in the headphones. I'll double check but there seemed to be no noise in my recording when there was no XLR connected.

I need way more time to really enjoy/discover this thing. Work and family are just roadblocks at this point.:)
Totally understand. Work is an inconvenience, but a necessary evil to buy toys like the QC. lol

I’d really like to get some more feedback because Lasserom is not the first person to say there are some issues with USB. I’m slightly concerned if ground noise is present for everything but XLR.

I’ll connect it to my FRFR cab via XLR when jamming etc., but was planning to use the TRS outs to my studio monitors when recording. And obviously would use headphones here or there.

mbenigni

I’ve used mine daily for a month at least and have needed to look for instruction on how to do something 1 time. The rest of the time I’ve found the way to operate/navigate to be intuitive.

And I’m not a UI pro!
I wish someone would fix the UI on my guitar. Who's idea was it to put a Major 3rd right in the middle of the fingerboard? Consistency, people! UI Design 101!

gitapik

Platinum Supporting Member
I wish someone would fix the UI on my guitar. Who's idea was it to put a Major 3rd right in the middle of the fingerboard? Consistency, people! UI Design 101!
Well...that Major 3rd is your choice, ya know.

Buck the trend, matey! Tune to perfect 4ths:

(Disclaimer: I don’t. But who knows what might happen, down that rugged road)

Fireproof

Platinum Supporting Member
Is there not a ground lift on the QC?
Yes - there sure is. Maybe since it’s “software“ versus a physical switch on back, people aren’t trying it? Or maybe that’s not fixing the problem? (Don’t have one yet to experiment with myself).

Quad4

Maybe since it’s “software“ versus a physical switch on back
Wow. I guess it was cheaper/easier to add a relay than a switch. Space for physical switches is at a premium and back panel components require an extra assembly step. Makes more sense given the nice touch UI which is always available.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom