• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Official Quad Cortex Owners Discussions

Jynx

Silver Supporting Member
Hilarious.

I wouldn't mind, people are adding laughy faces to my comment, but I'm actually serious. From what I know it's UI is Helix mixed with Android. I understand how it all flows from a couple of videos. I'm confident I'll hit the ground running. I'm somewhat bemused that anyone can think it's not intuitive.

Whizzinby

Silver Supporting Member
There is. In my case it adds more noise to the existing issue.

Interesting. Curious if everyone is having this issue.

Slightly worrisome if it’s affecting all non XLR outputs and gets worse with the ground lift on.

rburkard

Double Platinum Member
After messing around with the Neural Quad Cortex for 4 days now I decided to send it back to SW. The modeled sounds have a real problem cutting through a mix while my Kemper does. Have to increase the level of the Quad signal quite a bit to keep up. The Quad has this big boost in the 120hz range which accounts for the big "amp in the room" sound which I initially liked as most of us would, but it is not practical in a recording mix and it won't be different in a live mix. Tried to work with EQs without getting better results. Got some weird "digital" treble response, also on the low strings. It also seems that the amp models are compressed already without even engaging a compressor. My wife and daughter just came into my studio and said "this thing sounds crappy and annoying". And their ears are better than mine. Would love to do some Capturing but don't have tube amps at the moment. For the time being I will stick with my Kemper until they are coming up with a smaller footprint solution for traveling.

zentman

After messing around with the Neural Quad Cortex for 4 days now I decided to send it back to SW. The modeled sounds have a real problem cutting through a mix while my Kemper does. Have to increase the level of the Quad signal quite a bit to keep up. The Quad has this big boost in the 120hz range which accounts for the big "amp in the room" sound which I initially liked as most of us would, but it is not practical in a recording mix and it won't be different in a live mix. Tried to work with EQs without getting better results. Got some weird "digital" treble response, also on the low strings. It also seems that the amp models are compressed already without even engaging a compressor. My wife and daughter just came into my studio and said "this thing sounds crappy and annoying". And their ears are better than mine. Would love to do some Capturing but don't have tube amps at the moment. For the time being I will stick with my Kemper until they are coming up with a smaller footprint solution for traveling.
What a difference a day makes. Yesterday it was killer, today "crappy and annoying".

Whizzinby

Silver Supporting Member

Dude, yesterday you said you would “absolutely” keep it. This all occurred in one day?

MixMinisterMike

Silver Supporting Member
tenor.gif

jaza69

Silver Supporting Member
Has anyone tried recording via usb? I’m getting noise whilst playing live that isn’t there in the recording. I’m going to try different sockets in the house, I’ve already tested cables. I’ve mentioned before that I have static/ground noise that I can alter when touching the unit.

UPDATE: Turns out the issue was caused by XLR cables that had pin 1 and pin 2 reversed. All good now!

Today I tried using XLR connection between Quad Cortex and Line6 Firehawk1500 Amplifier, Firehawk 1500 accepts XLR's or 1/4" TRS plugs as it has combo jacks on its MONITOR IN's and can be used as FRFR amp.

My findings:
There was a "grounding' type noise on Output 1/2 (XLR one) which was not there using 1/4' cables from output 3/4. Lifting ground made it way worse.
Powering down Quad Cortex made the noise coming from the amp very loud.
There might be a 'grounding' problem with XLR Outs on Quad Cortex.

Here is something interesting:
I was able to eliminate the noise by adding a 1/4" patch cable from Quad Cortex Send 1 to Firehawk 1500' FX Return jack while still keeping my XLR connection. As a matter of fact any connection between Quad Cortex and Firehawk 1500 using 1/4" cable eliminated the noise on XLR Out.

My conclusion is that there might be a 'grounding' issue with XLR OUT jacks on my Quad Cortex as 'adding ground' via 1/4" patch cable eliminates it.

I’m going to try different XLR cables just to rule the cables out, but my FM3 is not exhibiting the noise using same cables.

UPDATE: Turns out the issue was caused by XLR cables that had pin 1 and pin 2 reversed. All good now!

Last edited:

rburkard

Double Platinum Member
Dude, yesterday you said you would “absolutely” keep it. This all occurred in one day?
Usually don't need a long time to make up my mind. Had the unit since Saturday and shipped it back today. Yes, initially I really liked it because the design, UI and the convenience of saving settings are simply killer. The amp sounds were OK too but the big disconnect for me was when I tried recording yesterday in comparison with my Kemper. Since people have different angles and needs, everybody should come to their own conclusions. Might be the perfect box for a lot of people, but it wasn't for me.

Last edited:

Heinrich

I posted this on Fractals cab forum (used to be an AX8 owner), but you guys in search of a premium FRFR amp solution may be also interested: a comparison between the new Redsound Elis.8 bundle and the new Blueamps Junior Ex, both european brands. For reference: I had the Dynacord AXM12 and a 10“ Xitone before.
Here goes:

Today was the last day I was able to compare the Redsound Elis.8 stereo bundle to the Blueamps stereo Junior Ex which I will send back tomorrow because it is the builders own cab. Never tried them at bedroom volume, rather at rehearsal volume, but today I drove them to the max. My neighbours will hate me forever. My ears also. I played a tele, strat, Gibson ES330 and my acoustic Santa Cruz and McIlroy through them. Also some music from the ipad. Positioned the Elis cabs a little apart from each other for stereo sound and stacked them also for a better comparison. So far my hopefully final findings:
  • both cabs are tops, sounding better than the already expensive cabs I owned before. There is no winner here, it depends on your personal preference and purpose.
  • the Elis have more punch and are slightly louder (3db or so), the bass is strong and tight, not very deep (70 hz Elis, 55 hz Blueamps). The upper mids are overemphasized which makes them punch and cut through the mix. They do not sound very FRFR to me because of the louder upper mids, the highs are not so present or refined. This voicing rewards you with a great solid amp in the room sound, no harshness or icepick tones here.
  • the Blueamps new Junior Ex (4 x 6,5” speakers inside) seems to have a frequency curve which is more flat and sounding more FRFR like. All this according to my ears, not figures and measurements, that is. The voicing presents a warm deep bass/lower mids and very present, but silky highs and way less upper mids. All in all more balanced than the Elis, but less punch, not so fat mids.
  • While I played, the notes felt more „bouncy“ with the Juniro EX and more tight with the Elis. This may have to do with the fact that the 6,5“ speakers of the Blueamps have a soft suspension in the cabinet to reach lower frequencies.
  • The Junior Ex sounded very good out of the gate with very little tweaking and nailed the Fender sound I am after without much EQ or even bypassed EQ . By contrast I needed to use the EQ with the Elis quite a bit more to gain the results I wanted, mainly because of the emphasised mids. I can’t provide a band experience here, but I guess the Elis is very suitable in a band situation, whereas the Junior Ex sounds fine playing solo and needs a bass cut in a band situation.
  • for electric guitars I would slightly prefer the Elis, for acoustics I liked the Junior Ex quite a bit more, because it sounds more balanced to me. Sure enough both are great options for electric AND acoustic guitar, I just need to tweak the Elis more for acoustics. Both would not be able to replace my AER descendant, the Rösner acoustic amp.
  • if you want to play music from the ipad or play along with the IOS drum apps, both, Elis and Junior Ex are nothing to write home about. It just does not sound good, no decent hi-fi sound here. In comparison the Junior Ex sounded a bit better because the upper mids are not so present, but the highs are, so you hear highhat and cymbals. But this scenario was never the purpose of both cabs, so never mind. Just wanted to mention it because the question turned up.
  • The Junior Ex is a stereo cab, weighs 13.5 kg and measures 40 x 40 x 24 cm. If you want to place a second cab in the room to gain a wall of sound, you would need another passive cab with the same dimensions, well, too much for my use, I prefer small gear. The Elis bundle weighs a little more than 18 kg (both cabs), and measures 40 x 52 x 29 cm (both cabs side to side). Quite a bit more than the Junior Ex. But you can position two small cabs for real stereo in the room. Which would be one reason to buy me the Elis bundle.
As it stands today - and I went back and forth which one to choose - I am leaning towards the Elis for wide stereo, gig volume and mere punch. Based on sound and looks alone I would maybe give the nod to the Junior Ex. Well, probably. Prices for the Elis bundle and the Junior Ex are about the same, the Junior being a bit less.
My two cents to the best of my knowledge, You may have different and more cents.

gitapik

Platinum Supporting Member
Holy cow! Deep Editing Parameters on the headstock?? o_O

(I figured someone would cite Guthrie Govan - another perfect 4ths guy, if I'm not mistaken.)
Didn’t know that was Guthrie’s thing. Wonderful player.

Headstock parameters are fairly easy to navigate. Buzz from the fingerboard area are a whole different ballgame.

doug castro

Gold Supporting Member
Today I tried using XLR connection between Quad Cortex and Line6 Firehawk1500 Amplifier, Firehawk 1500 accepts XLR's or 1/4" TRS plugs as it has combo jacks on its MONITOR IN's and can be used as FRFR amp.

My findings:
There was a "grounding' type noise on Output 1/2 (XLR one) which was not there using 1/4' cables from output 3/4. Lifting ground made it way worse.

I was able to eliminate the noise by adding a 1/4" patch cable from Quad Cortex Send 1 to Firehawk 1500' FX Return jack while still keeping my XLR connection. As a matter of fact any connection between Quad Cortex and Firehawk 1500 using 1/4" cable eliminated the noise on XLR Out.

My conclusion is that there might be a 'grounding' issue with XLR OUT jacks on my Quad Cortex as 'adding ground' via 1/4" patch cable eliminates it.

I’m going to try different XLR cables just to rule the cables out, but my FM3 is not exhibiting the noise using same cables.

Hi, if there was an inherent grounding issue with the XLR’s adding a third cable probably wouldn’t have helped.

From what you mention, I would stay a ground loop sounds more likely, which can happen between powered audio devices of all kinds, all the time.

The added noise when powering down is expected behavior, due to the optical ground lift circuitry in the XLRs’ default state is open (which is why we recommend standby mode if you want to turn your QC off by keep studio monitors on).

If it persists with other cables please send more info to support@neuraldsp.com so the guys can help you trouble shoot.

Kind regards,
Doug.

Last edited:

lasserom

Hold the phone. So every output type except XLR has excessive ground noise? (USB, TRS, headphone)

Didn't try TRS yet, but yes for USB and headphone, unless XLR is also connected. XLR doesn't have any unwanted noise for me, and once XLR is connected, the other outputs are also quiet as a mouse.

Jkk

Silver Supporting Member
Put this also to discord and now here for a variety of comments :)

Any pros / cons with this setup I'm planning.
QC -> Seymour Duncan Power Stage 200 speaker out -> regular open guitar cabinet loaded with new Celestion F12M-150 Triple Cone
Hoping to be able to take advantage of QC's cab blocks but not sure if Power Stage is neutral enough through speaker out.
First comments was about open cabinet might be problematic. Any comments?

Deanjam

My findings:

Last night I tried different guitars, cables and plug sockets. I'm going to mess with my outputs tonight as I did have no noise via XLR - FR Cab the other night. Through my headphones, its a nightmare, the noise is really loud and alters when I touch the unit.

When touching the top of the unit its super loud. iPlaying clean and quiet isn't really feasible. There is only no noise when I keep my finger connected to the QC housing or one of its buttons.

Like Doug said this could be a ground loop issue but I never had this problem with the Stomp or Kemper.

WingZero

Last night I tried different guitars, cables and plug sockets. I'm going to mess with my outputs tonight as I did have no noise via XLR - FR Cab the other night. Through my headphones, its a nightmare, the noise is really loud and alters when I touch the unit.

When touching the top of the unit its super loud. iPlaying clean and quiet isn't really feasible. There is only no noise when I keep my finger connected to the QC housing or one of its buttons.

Like Doug said this could be a ground loop issue but I never had this problem with the Stomp or Kemper.
touch the shiny bevel all around, there is no clad so you are straight on the metal.... contact should be good!

mbenigni

Didn't try TRS yet, but yes for USB and headphone, unless XLR is also connected. XLR doesn't have any unwanted noise for me, and once XLR is connected, the other outputs are also quiet as a mouse.

So if you run unbalanced 1/4" cable(s) from the Neutrix connectors to a monitoring solution, are you going to have trouble?

This one issue is starting to sound like a show-stopper, frankly. Half the point of the QC is form-factor, and I fully expect to drag it around the house with nothing but a guitar and headphones at times.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom