• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.
  • On Thursday, January 20, 2022, starting at 7 pm EST, We will take the forum offline to do the necessary upgrades. Estimates are a possible 3-hour total downtime to complete the process. So mark your calendar to play your guitar.

Official Quad Cortex Owners Discussions

spikey

I also found the unit to be quite noisy. I was getting much more fizz and hum from my Strat when playing through the QC than I was with my Kemper at nearly identical gain and volume settings.

Not trying to start anything, and I'm not trying to read into anything, but this begs a question. It makes me wanna ask to all those here that have a QC and are using it now, Is the unit noisy for you as well, or did he get a lemon? Im still waiting for mine to ship, and Id like to know this. Thanks

Phnurt

Moron
Silver Supporting Member
Not trying to start anything, and I'm not trying to read into anything, but this begs a question. It makes me wanna ask to all those here that have a QC and are using it now, Is the unit noisy for you as well, or did he get a lemon? Im still waiting for mine to ship, and Id like to know this. Thanks
Mine has a bad/non-existent ground and can be very noisy in headphones. It's easily cured by plugging it into other equipment with a ground, even if you're not running a signal through it. Just "borrowing" the ground. Like powered monitors, some frfr. I have a balanced cable connected to my Helix and it quiets it down. The Helix doesn't even need to be powered on.

Plus Doug has said they're working on sourcing a grounded power supply for everyone affected so it's a moot point.

Calaban

Me too. What models? It's really noticeable and unnatural sometimes. Farty/fizzy/unclear notes on the E and A strings and lots of extra noise (like running gates on 50% with humbuckers on mid-gain amps). But then other setups are really quiet. I can't find any rhyme or reason as to why (I always check input/output gains).

Crossing my fingers it has to do with the power supply but I'm worried because it's not on all the models or presets. I should try and set it up to record and see how it captures it via my DAW.
It’s hard to know if we’re talking about the same thing.

I’m mainly a crystal clean to low-mid gain player of Fender amps. I noticed it mostly on the Super model, but it was also present on some others. It got really noticeable if I turned up the Volume in the amp block. Not the Output....but the amp volume. I was hoping it would react like a cranked Super but no. It just had some weird artifact in the background of sustained notes, and it really jumped out as the note started to fade.

If anyone wants to try it, set up a simple patch with the Super Reverb and an appropriate cab. Maybe any cab...I don’t know as I only used Fender style cabs.
No reverb...just amp/cab.

Crank the volume in the amp model up past 5 - 6, maybe 7, hit and sustain a low F, and listen closely as the note dies.

I’d be very curious to know if anyone else hears it.

I don’t want to come off as bashing the QC; I think they’ve got a mostly stellar product on their hands that will certainly improve with time.

spikey

I don’t want to come off as bashing the QC; I think they’ve got a mostly stellar product on their hands that will certainly improve with time.
You're not in my book. No more than I am by asking others if they have had the same or similar issue. Id rather be silly and ask now than sorry for not asking later.

gitarretyp

I’m mainly a crystal clean to low-mid gain player of Fender amps. I noticed it mostly on the Super model, but it was also present on some others. It got really noticeable if I turned up the Volume in the amp block. Not the Output....but the amp volume. I was hoping it would react like a cranked Super but no. It just had some weird artifact in the background of sustained notes, and it really jumped out as the note started to fade.

If anyone wants to try it, set up a simple patch with the Super Reverb and an appropriate cab. Maybe any cab...I don’t know as I only used Fender style cabs.
I checked, and I notice this sort of noise/artifact on the Super, but I'm more of a Marshall person. So, I noticed it on the 50 and 100 watt Plexi normal and patch models first, but not the bright channels. I can only hear it on the bassier vintage models when the volume is cranked up and assumed it was the QC modeling power amp distortion or sag. I don't have much experience with this amps in the room, though.

Ryno1331

Silver Supporting Member

Crank the volume in the amp model up past 5 - 6, maybe 7, hit and sustain a low F, and listen closely as the note dies.

Hmmm. I don't think so since mine is with multiple models/presets. Yours just being when you crank just one particular Fender style amp I would say is maybe an issue with modeling and not a defective unit. If the unit was defective it would happen elsewhere.

That said I will check out the super and see but for my taste Fenders stay mostly clean- I never take the volumes that high. Cranked Fender gain is tough to do. I have always been very impressed with how well my revival drive compact does it though.

Darrell456

Mine has a bad/non-existent ground and can be very noisy in headphones. It's easily cured by plugging it into other equipment with a ground, even if you're not running a signal through it. Just "borrowing" the ground. Like powered monitors, some frfr. I have a balanced cable connected to my Helix and it quiets it down. The Helix doesn't even need to be powered on.

Plus Doug has said they're working on sourcing a grounded power supply for everyone affected so it's a moot point.
Man. Let me tell you. I have been messing with this all day long. I have a Cioks DC7 that I did the 4 out to 1 in on the QC. Works well. So then I bought the Sweetfoot QC power supply they are making now that uses 1 output to power the QC and has 4 more 9v outputs as well. I have been messing with it all day and I don't know if its my Sweetfoot power supply or not but the grounding noise with the Sweetfoot is almost as bad as the supplied power supply. I put the Cioks back on and its ultra quiet.

One more note however. I tried three power supplies today with headphones only. I got buzz in each of them. When I connected an XLR or a USB, the buzz went away. I'm not sure what exactly is going on here but using the Cioks into some stereo XLR speaker speakers I was finally able to get it all set up.

Still a work in progress but that for me seems to be the best way forward.

luckymethod

Mine was super noisy as well.

jaza69

Silver Supporting Member
Trying to source my own PSU. Can't find the plug dimensions. Anyone?
The plug:
2.1mm x 5.5mm center negative plug (it is same as almost all pedals, Boss for example)

The Power adapter:
Grounded (3 prongs) “desktop” AC adapter with DC output of 12V, 3A, 36W.

There is a lot power adapters available witch meet the electrical
specs, BUT it seems to me they all come with 2.5mm plug instead of 2.1mm. And most of them are center positive plugs.

No wonder it takes Neural so long to source them as they have to special order them from the manufacturer as they are not usually stocked on Mouser for example. And the lead times are usually in weeks.

If you know how to solder you could buy one available and modify it. Use the right size plug (2.1mm) from the daisy chain pedal cable (available everywhere), cut the wires on one off and solder it in place of 2.5mm one noting proper polarity. (Make it center negative)

Sleeping At Sea

Ok so I took my QC to the lounge today to play on headphones and got the ground noise issue. Not nice at all. Not a serious issue for me as 90% of my use will be in my studio connected so is dead quiet. But would def like to be able to take it other places and not have to sorry about it.

gitapik

Platinum Supporting Member
If you know how to solder you could buy one available and modify it. Use the right size plug (2.1mm) from the daisy chain pedal cable (available everywhere), cut the wires on one off and solder it in place of 2.5mm one noting proper polarity. (Make it center negative)
I’m planning on bringing the QC with me when I travel. Big part of the draw. QC To IPad with headphones. Writing and recording.

I’m supposed to get mine mid to end June. Hoping the noise isn’t an issue.

Will that mod to the plug solve the noise issue?

spikey

So from reading (don't have mine yet), it really sounds like the grounding noise issue is NOT from a power supply/brick itself, but from a non-grounded circuit problem internally, and only goes away when the QC is attached to an audio interface/box that can "share" a common ground via a USB or XLR connection. Right now that's not really an issue for me (if it is indeed is dead quiet when connected as people stated) when connected which mine will be all the time. I just wish that issue wasn't there, AT ALL. If NDSP can change out power supplies with a "grounded 3 prong" plugin on it for all of us (one of the lugs being Ground), that might fix the noise issue. Of course, that might also introduce ground loops in doing that, I just don't know yet... :thud

Last edited:

TonePilot

Silver Supporting Member

All these modelers need a bit of EQ to help get the tone you're used to. Even setting up a High / Low Pass filter will help tame some transients.

Whizzinby

Silver Supporting Member
All these modelers need a bit of EQ to help get the tone you're used to. Even setting up a High / Low Pass filter will help tame some transients.
Im just now getting around to looking at the QC eq options. I’ve been dumping a High/Low cut filter block on almost everything lately. A lot of the time I can’t really meaningfully tell a difference until it’s obviously gone too far lol.

I’ve been sorta defaulting it to 99 -12db for the low and 12k -12db on the highs.

TonePilot

Silver Supporting Member
Im just now getting around to looking at the QC eq options. I’ve been dumping a High/Low cut filter block on almost everything lately. A lot of the time I can’t really meaningfully tell a difference until it’s obviously gone too far lol.

I’ve been sorta defaulting it to 99 -12db for the low and 12k -12db on the highs.
I usually cut everything below either 100Hz or 80Hz and cut the highs above either 8Khz or 6.5Khz.

Bach1970

Gold Supporting Member

I am wondering how is it possible that only some people are affected. It should be all the same for everybody right?

mbenigni

Man. Let me tell you. I have been messing with this all day long. I have a Cioks DC7 that I did the 4 out to 1 in on the QC. Works well. So then I bought the Sweetfoot QC power supply they are making now that uses 1 output to power the QC and has 4 more 9v outputs as well. I have been messing with it all day and I don't know if its my Sweetfoot power supply or not but the grounding noise with the Sweetfoot is almost as bad as the supplied power supply. I put the Cioks back on and its ultra quiet.

One more note however. I tried three power supplies today with headphones only. I got buzz in each of them. When I connected an XLR or a USB, the buzz went away. I'm not sure what exactly is going on here but using the Cioks into some stereo XLR speaker speakers I was finally able to get it all set up.

Still a work in progress but that for me seems to be the best way forward.
Worrisome. There's this ongoing assumption that the problem can be fixed with a different PSU, but it's not a given. The problem may well be inherent to the design of the QC itself. In any case, the QC should be able to function with any power supply that meets specifications, without generating this sort of noise.

Last edited:

mbenigni

...I noticed it mostly on the Super model, but it was also present on some others. It got really noticeable if I turned up the Volume in the amp block. Not the Output....but the amp volume. I was hoping it would react like a cranked Super but no. It just had some weird artifact in the background of sustained notes, and it really jumped out as the note started to fade.

I don't own a QC yet, so grain of salt. But as the preeminent Helix squirrel chaser, I'll say this sounds hauntingly familiar.

(On the other hand, if it's specific to one model/ capture, it might be an unpleasant, but accurate, characteristic of the amp?)

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom