• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.
  • On Thursday, January 20, 2022, starting at 7 pm EST, We will take the forum offline to do the necessary upgrades. Estimates are a possible 3-hour total downtime to complete the process. So mark your calendar to play your guitar.

Official Quad Cortex Owners Discussions

Deanjam

Hey all, I posted about the PSU issue a while ago and today Neural have let me know they are awaiting a PSU delivery after testing went successfully.

Im assuming more have noticed the problem as many would initially connect XLRS as part of their setup.

I now have a Powerbank setup, which is night and day in noise when compared to the supplied PSU. I only have Natural single coil noise now, buckers are silent.

There is a headphone hiss which Neural recommend rolling off 5db from the HP level. I do this and increase my instrument input level to around 7db depending on the guitar. I also adjust the preset output level to suit.

In my simple logic the issue is not within the QC and can be resolved with an appropriately grounded PSU.

I think there might be quite a few PSU’s being posted but regarding the actual QC, I don’t this this is a Noisegate situation.

Elric

Silver Supporting Member
Great news! I just got an email from ndsp support saying they've ordered new grounded psu's after testing a bunch of em to see if that solved the noise issue. They asked for my shipping info and said "soon".
Thanks for posting. I have not gotten an e-mail from them (I did get the survey earlier); so I just pinged their support for status on my case. I wonder if they will be doing these in batches, too? :facepalm

Calaban

FWIW, I tried it out on my unit just now with the Super Normal and Vibrato on every US cab. With model volume at 7 and with both bright on/off. Listened to it with DT990 Pro cans and also on an ATH-M50x.

I could not hear anything like what you've described. It tailed off without any discernable artifacts. I'm assuming you meant single note F on the first fret in standard?
Yes that’s right but I just used that as an example of a note that I knew would trigger it on my unit.

Glad to hear it‘s not happening for you.

Whizzinby

Silver Supporting Member
I just got about 30 minutes in playing via the new PowerStage - 2x12 setup.

Would love to say it blew me away, but will require more jamming tonight. I could definitely feel a little power coming from the actual guitar cab which is welcomed, and my right ear ringing a bit feels like old times lol

Thoughts:
  • Seemed like there was less gain on virtually everything, on my FRFR speaker I have to dial back the gain on almost every high gain amp, but I was noticing I wanted more gain via cab
  • The amp models I liked via FRFR were reasonably good via this method. The amp models I don’t like, I really don’t like. lol The Dual Rec, and VH4 to me are almost unusable. I can never get the VH4 to sound like it isn’t under a blanket and suffocating with midrange. The dual rec is just a bassy mess. I realize that you have to dial back the bass and hit the Dual Rec with an OD in real life, but I can’t get anything from it remotely desirable. The best high gain amps to me are the Peavey 6505 and Friedman BE. The SLO and EVH 5150 models aren’t great, but not entirely unusable.
  • By the time I tried captures I was probably deaf but the Granophyre capture seem pretty good and natural.
I think I’m going to run another XLR to my FRfR tonight, create a scene pointing to the PS170-Cab with no cab block, and then another to my FRFR speaker with cab sim, and have scenes swap between the two to get a better A/B.

Any thoughts, tips, tricks, going via Cab?

skinvoyager

Silver Supporting Member
From what I'm reading from others, seems like the headphone amp on the stomp is on the weak side and works better with lower impedance headphones but I have no way to confirm that now. Is the stomp perfect? No, I also traded up to an Axe FX 3 because I wasn't traveling and the fractal is just astounding in every aspect, but between you and me, the QC is not worth the money they are asking for now and I think there's an above average likelihood that there will be a Rev B of the hardware soon, plus availability is what it is anyways.
Disagree. If you want more fully-baked effects, the Stomp is the way to go. If you're concerned primarily with core amp tones that accurately simulate the experience of playing a real amp, I'd go QC all day long. I owned the Helix, the Stomp, AX8 and Axe FX3, and for feel and core amp tones the QC amps blow the Line 6 stuff away. It's a much closer comparison between the Fractal and QC amps. However, after gigging with the QC, I'm beginning to understand all the hype about Kemper. That's because the captures in the QC are are whole different experience than the models. They sound and feel totally realistic, without the fizziness, hollowness and hyped EQ that plague all modelers to some degree. So while the QC effects certainly need to mature, guys like me who just need the basics will be totally happy. And the effects on the QC will certainly improve, but I don't see captures or profiles coming to the HX family ever. Maybe the next generation of Line 6 hardware. Who knows. And FWIW, the QC pitch shifting is fantastic. Best I've heard.

By the way, I have a board with a Revival Drive and I use the HX Effects for effects and IR loading, and it's great. So I'm not knocking Line 6. Just their amp models.

luckymethod

By the way, I have a board with a Revival Drive and I use the HX Effects for effects and IR loading, and it's great. So I'm not knocking Line 6. Just their amp models.
I actually agree with you that the modeling is better on the QC. I disagree that it's better than the Axe though. But from the use case point of view, if you're just looking for something to travel and exercise on that's compact, then the HX makes more sense IMHO. Everything is a compromise after all.

Bach1970

Gold Supporting Member
I wouldn't say it's noisy, but I have a weird occurrence, which could be my interface (Apollo Twin via XLR) but if the QC is OFF, the channel it's plugged into on the Apollo hums loudly.
I described exactly same issue here just After I received the unit couple of months ago.
I didn’t get any great response from @doug castro or ndsp

Darrell456

In my simple logic the issue is not within the QC and can be resolved with an appropriately grounded PSU.

I think there might be quite a few PSU’s being posted but regarding the actual QC, I don’t this this is a Noisegate situation.
I'm cautiously optimistic! I hope so too. No matter what the issue is, whether it small or big, it will be sorted in time.

Quality assurance is a big part of what I do professionally. You look at data sets looking for anomalies in a product. When you find an issue, you fix it. The more data you can collect (that's us.. users), the better the product can become.

We're all part of making this new fandangled unit even more incredible. :)

pewing33ny

Hey all, I posted about the PSU issue a while ago and today Neural have let me know they are awaiting a PSU delivery after testing went successfully.

Im assuming more have noticed the problem as many would initially connect XLRS as part of their setup.

I now have a Powerbank setup, which is night and day in noise when compared to the supplied PSU. I only have Natural single coil noise now, buckers are silent.

There is a headphone hiss which Neural recommend rolling off 5db from the HP level. I do this and increase my instrument input level to around 7db depending on the guitar. I also adjust the preset output level to suit.

I have a pretty noisy SSS Suhr Strat (no SSCII, Manhattan apartment) and I had issues with the FM3 noise gate, lots of tweaking and it still didn't feel natural. I tried the QC default adaptive one and it works great.

I have the same grounding issues everyone has when not hooked up to USB, other than that the unit is pretty fantastic sound-wise. I will say, it has a bit of that "Strymon sheen" to it, but the FM3 and Helix I had had a bit of their own coloring to it too, just not as much. I personally like that little bit of that upper-mid punch, but I could see how others wouldn't.

edit: Even though I love the tones I'm getting, NDSP does need to get their shiz together. The communication has been pretty bad and we, the customers, are in the dark about a lot of things that were 99% done in October and ready for launch.

Last edited:

Elric

Silver Supporting Member
I described exactly same issue here just After I received the unit couple of months ago.
I didn’t get any great response from @doug castro or ndsp
Probably because it is just the way the device works. It is described in the last item on their 'resolving noise problems' FAQ.

Not super satisfying, but the solution is basically 'don't do that', this is probably why the standby mode is there, I would guess. It keeps the XLR out from floating but turns off the screen. It also reduces boot time.

Last edited:

mattt67

Hey everyone,

I’ve had my QC for a few weeks, so here’s a follow up to my first impressions. I’ll focus on my favorite features then list some things which need to be improved IMO.

So my favorite feature by far is the Captures! I’m truly blown away. The process is easy, I’ve captured my favorite Helix amps, downloaded my favorite Ndsp pluginsand there are some killer pedal captures on the Cloud. IMO they sound better than the pedals in my Helix.

Which leads me to my second favorite feature, it sounds fabulous in 4CM! I’ve only tried with one amp yet, a Laney Lionheart 15, but the QC sounds just as good as my real pedals, so I’m sold!

So it’s easy to get great tones, which is probably the most important in a modeler; but in terms of user experience, I’m a bit disappointed. There are still many little things that bug me ; here are a few in no particular order:

• the captures really need to be organized in folders, right now it’s just a mess.
  • There is a very loud buzz when the unit is turned off and plugged to monitors via xlr. It’s also the case while it’s switching on; can’t imagine this while plugged to a PA. This doesn’t happen with trs or ts cables.
  • We need copy paste of fx
  • I like Stomp mode, but right now it’s not possible to switch multiple blocks with one switch.
  • While in Stomp Mode, you can’t manually bypass a block
  • I’d like to choose led colors; captures, reverbs and delays have the same color...
  • I’d like an azerty keyboard, and bigger keys.
  • Unlink in the scenes is a pita to use, we need something like a global unlink. RN if you add a block you need to click on the little icon, and confirm every time you adjust a setting.
  • Also @doug castro I’m pretty sure I’ve found a bug, if you put an IR on the left side of a cab block, you can’t unlink it’s volume parameter.

Sorry for the write up.
TL;DR: it’s a great sounding unit, with a huge potential, but there are still many things to improve in terms of user experience.

Cheers

TonePilot

Silver Supporting Member
Hey everyone,

I’ve had my QC for a few weeks, so here’s a follow up to my first impressions. I’ll focus on my favorite features then list some things which need to be improved IMO.

So my favorite feature by far is the Captures! I’m truly blown away. The process is easy, I’ve captured my favorite Helix amps, downloaded my favorite Ndsp pluginsand there are some killer pedal captures on the Cloud. IMO they sound better than the pedals in my Helix.

Which leads me to my second favorite feature, it sounds fabulous in 4CM! I’ve only tried with one amp yet, a Laney Lionheart 15, but the QC sounds just as good as my real pedals, so I’m sold!

So it’s easy to get great tones, which is probably the most important in a modeler; but in terms of user experience, I’m a bit disappointed. There are still many little things that bug me ; here are a few in no particular order:

• the captures really need to be organized in folders, right now it’s just a mess.
  • There is a very loud buzz when the unit is turned off and plugged to monitors via xlr. It’s also the case while it’s switching on; can’t imagine this while plugged to a PA. This doesn’t happen with trs or ts cables.
  • We need copy paste of fx
  • I like Stomp mode, but right now it’s not possible to switch multiple blocks with one switch.
  • While in Stomp Mode, you can’t manually bypass a block
  • I’d like to choose led colors; captures, reverbs and delays have the same color...
  • I’d like an azerty keyboard, and bigger keys.
  • Unlink in the scenes is a pita to use, we need something like a global unlink. RN if you add a block you need to click on the little icon, and confirm every time you adjust a setting.
  • Also @doug castro I’m pretty sure I’ve found a bug, if you put an IR on the left side of a cab block, you can’t unlink it’s volume parameter.

Sorry for the write up.
TL;DR: it’s a great sounding unit, with a huge potential, but there are still many things to improve in terms of user experience.

Cheers
I am in agreement with everything you said except the 3rd last bullet. QWERTY is fine for me since everything else I use has it. Don’t forget they need to fix scrolling through presets in Favourites.

Bach1970

Gold Supporting Member
I think it's a classic case of "not everyone's testing the same configuration/ not everyone cares". If it's a case of "some percentage of the units are broken", that's an entirely different story.
I just got back home and I have it too - you were right..
When I have my QC connected to Apollo Twin with XLR-TRS, it is dead quiet, but when it is alone only headphone out, it has very loud hiss - their rec to reduce the level to -5dB helps it a little, but DOES NOT FIX IT.
In addition, when I connect the QC to my SD 170 the noise is ok - little more, than when I plug in something like preamp pedal, but when I touch the SD 170 output TR jack plug(ground) it starts high squealing - similar to a high squeal when you swap output transformer leads to tube amp output.
I will report to NDSP support

spikey

reat news! I just got an email from ndsp support saying they've ordered new grounded psu's after testing a bunch of em to see if that solved the noise issue. They asked for my shipping info and said "soon".
Now Id like to know the model number of the "replaced" grounded power supply as soon as someone gets one, and Id also like to know when NDSP will be boxing this new grounded power supply with the QC for shipment.
Since I'm probably still a month or 2 out I'm hoping to get the newer PS.

mjross

Silver Supporting Member
Now Id like to know the model number of the "replaced" grounded power supply as soon as someone gets one, and Id also like to know when NDSP will be boxing this new grounded power supply with the QC for shipment.
Since I'm probably still a month or 2 out I'm hoping to get the newer PS.
Are they going to replace all the power supplies that have already been shipped? Or, do you have to complain? I really dig this thing but I have to admit, weird **** happens under certain conditions when you turn it on or off. Hope there‘s a fix!

Whizzinby

Silver Supporting Member
Are they going to replace all the power supplies that have already been shipped? Or, do you have to complain?
Better yet, is Neural going to formally release a statement on the matter? I’d like to know what is the extent of the problem, from their perspective.

Like someone mentioned previously, some users may not have gone through a workflow with the device yet that may indicate they are affected.

I quite like the device, but the uncertainty of what is the problem, what all does it affect, is a new PSU a thorough remedy, will there need to be a hardware revision etc. All info worth relaying to users.

Last edited:

skinvoyager

Silver Supporting Member
I actually agree with you that the modeling is better on the QC. I disagree that it's better than the Axe though. But from the use case point of view, if you're just looking for something to travel and exercise on that's compact, then the HX makes more sense IMHO. Everything is a compromise after all.
Well, I didn't say the QC models were better than Fractal. I said they were close. I stated that I think the QC captures are better than all models I've heard, including models in Fractal products and the QC itself.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom