• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

Official Thead: RIP EVH Eddie Van Halen

Comments

On Halloween evening 2004 at the Fargodome during that ill-fated tour the wife and I bought the deluxe sound check front row package and on our way to soundcheck our guide was laying down the ground rules and said “don’t engage Eddie AT ALL please” so we were all quietly waiting and the band (no Sammy) comes out and Eddie appeared with his handlers holding a bottle of Smoking Loon and proceeds to just SMOKE through about 30 minutes of classic VH tunes. They get done and he proceeds to noodle on some pedal and I’m like fifteen feet away just crapping myself. He gets done, croaks “guitar good” picks up his wine and started shuffling off the stage when my wife yells “HEY EDDIE! WE SAW YOU THE OTHER NIGHT IN ST. PAUL AND LOVED IT WHEN WOLFIE CAME OUT!!”. He stopped, whirled around and said “who said that?”. This, I figure, is when we get thrown out. So my short, plump little wife has her hand up “I did, I did”. Eddie comes over, kneels on stage in front of my wife and I, takes her hand and says “What a wonderful, wonderful question“ and proceeds to have the sweetest five-minute conversation with my wife about how awesome Wolfie is. I mean, he was a little buzzed but the overall impression was how kindly he spoke to her when the subject was Wolfie. It was awesome. But I could not think of one intelligent thing to say to my hero because I didn’t want to interrupt their talk. Later that night, we were in the front row and during the breakdown to “Ain’t Talking ‘Bout Love” Sammy and I locked eyes and he gave me the mic and I gotta say, I nailed it. Memorable night.

For all the slippery, random, off-the-cuff notes that make up his solos, I've always been amazed at how he always found the exact right place to land.... and how incredibly tight and precise his rhythm playing was.

Listening to Fair Warning now. Just.... no words.

That first release-bend note on "Dirty Movies".... perfection. :)

was very sad to hear this today. what an immensley talented person, and hugely influentual, with a unique style and sound. Thanks for the music Eddie.

Started learning to play the guitar because of Edward. Which was no easy task, trying to learn 'little guitars" (intro), and Fair Warning, in it's entirety. Not easy, but taught me so much in technique and phrasing, even though I play indie/noise rock and shoegaze now. Thank you Ed

For all the slippery, random, off-the-cuff notes that make up his solos, I've always been amazed at how he always found the exact right place to land.... and how incredibly tight and precise his rhythm playing was.

Listening to Fair Warning now. Just.... no words.

That first release-bend note on "Dirty Movies".... perfection. :)
And that is what one does. Resolve to close the circle. And he done did that well. Yep.

RIP Ed. You made me a better musician. Always an inspiration.
I can still remember hearing Jamie's Crying on the radio when it was first released. How time flies.

Trending Topics