• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

Official Thead: RIP EVH Eddie Van Halen

Comments

Yesterday I don't think I cried for the first time since, but I definitely had moments of melancholy. I also heard them blaring VH I for about 20 minutes out in public at a Halloween store and kept it together.

A very interesting thing has happened though I don't know if I can really attribute it to Eddie: since he died though, my playing has an increased amount of fire, I care way less about where my fingers land, and basically, I think my playing has gotten more interesting and better. Kinda like just thinking about Eddie and stuff has made my playing better, even though I don't do much of anything like Eddie.

Back in 1991, when I had just gotten my first guitar, I got some lessons with a locally popular rock guitar player.

Right off the bat, he gave me this photocopy of an Eddie Van Halen lesson detailing some basics of rock playing.. power chords, palm muting, etc. It also showed a picture of Eddie's hand holding the pick, between thumb and middle finger and the index finger for support sometimes. That's how I started picking, and that's how I pick to this day, even though I play nothing like Eddie, stylewise.

Here is an interesting analogy. Did not really hit me as a casual Ed fan until I started looking at his later rigs the past week. Specifically the Ivory EVH Wolfgang he used on that last solo vid posted in this thread....

But, the whole EVH branding thing and how it started as a Fender EVH brand then became its own thing, really reminds me of Michael Jordan and Nike. And also if you think about how they both transformed so many aspects of their respective trades. From a technical stand point, EVERY guitar or basketball player after them modeled some part of their approach from one of them. Whether we know it or not.

I remember saying back in 90's that MJ ruined basketball because everyone wanted to "Be Like Mike". Did Ed ruin guitar since every rock guitar player since has tried to "Shred Like Ed" ?

I wonder if Eddie and Alex speak Dutch to each other at home.

A comment in there states that they're more outspoken in Dutch than in English... Anybody here know Dutch enough to confirm?

This is Exhibit A when people tell me that Jimi was just as innovative as EVH (and don't get me wrong, I love Jimi!)

This is Eddie at 22-23 years old, just 8 years after Jimi died. Nobody was playing like that at the time. Eddie was, indeed, a genius at the level of Charlie Parker.

My response when people argue that Jimi was "just as good" or "better" is usually simply "right on, bro, rock on..." because if they can't hear it, I can't make them hear it....

But seriously, listen to I'm the One, try to put it into the context of time and place!!! Pretend you've never heard it before. Superstrats don't exist, except the one EVH is playing on this track....
Personally, I'm more in the Hendrix camp in terms of indelible influence. I hear what you're saying about harmonic and technical innovation of EVH, absolutely true. But...Jimi was a true alchemist of sound, who in his 3 years on earth changed music forever. He's not as technical, but that's not the alpha/omega of music greatness. I hear something in Hendrix overall playing/style/songwriting/image/aura/ showmanship/charisma/influence that I don't see with other rock musicians. that's just me.

In any case, it's a futile argument. It depends on the person, I suppose.

I usually never watch those "reactions" videos, but seeing the title on my Youtube feed I was curious, and boy, those guys really nail what was so great about VH when they burst on the scene : Eddie's tone, the whole VH sound, DLR's swagger and attitude, the monster riffs, how hard they groove...

And again with this one :

It's actually cool to see those guys really digging what they hear, it felt good.

Last edited:
Without reading thru every page, was there any mention of the terrible discriminatory treatment inflicted by Dutch and American kids on the VH brothers? Seems like those kinds of early development situations might have had a significant effect on those kids and their motivations.

Without reading thru every page, was there any mention of the terrible discriminatory treatment inflicted by Dutch and American kids on the VH brothers? Seems like those kinds of early development situations might have had a significant effect on those kids and their motivations.
He talks about it in the Smithsonian interview at one point. Not sure if that segment it posted in the thread but it's something I never knew about until I saw the interview

I bought a flanger last week, been meaning to for a while but listening to their stuff clinched the deal. I love the way he used a bit of flange or phase to make his tone pop just the right amount.

I was never a huge fan but listening to the full albums over the last week or so has been a masterclass in how to play to support the song. His composition skills, melodic phrasing and economy along with the gusto and humour of his expression, how his personality bubbles through everything are what sets him apart from all the imitators or virtuoso's who could play the licks but don't really have anything to say beyond I can play fast.

This might sound weird but there are times listening to him I'm reminded of Mark Knopfler. Not in any stylistic way but by the incredible swing and syncopation in their licks. So fast and precise but with such a swing.

Its obviously rare for people to have the natural ability as well as the dedication to achieve true mastery of an instrument and then among that rare air to also have a genius for composition puts you in a very elite group.

To also be gifted in the technical side of sounding good to the point you design and build your own gear which becomes industry standard . . .

To have all that AND be good looking, charismatic and a natural performer . . .

To do it all with a smile on your face and make it look easy AND fun . . .

Well that makes him basically unique in my estimation.
Like If Mozart had lived in LA in the 70's & 80's.

Trending Topics