• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Official Thead: RIP EVH Eddie Van Halen

Comments

Anyone else suddenly Gassing for EVH gear? I seem to want to pay additional respect to the man. Literally and figuratively... I don't own any but have played some stuff at NAMM. Always dug the guitars and pedals.
I was eyeballing some 50w EL34 heads but my gas has worn off after settling down and realizing that I don’t really play any VH stuff and that super gained out tone isn’t really in line with what I like playing anymore.

It's important to note that as far as I could tell, he really tried his best to live a healthy lifestyle and beat the demons for a really long time now. I'm talking diet, exercise, and a real hardcore commitment to eliminating vices.
I visited with him backstage in Oakland in 2012, on the ADKOT tour. He was in great spirits, he greeted me with a big bear hug and a kiss on the cheek, he always did that! All heart! I remember him showing me a pic he'd just found of him in the mid 70's with a Sound City 50w amp, he remarked that he loved that amp- so cool! I'd never seen him with a Sound City. We talked for a little bit, sitting on the couch in his dressing room and he was noodling on the guitar, warming up.. he actually asked me "how do you warm up before gigs?" I replied, somewhat dumbfounded, that I do the same thing! Just tried to get my fingers moving... it was of course one of those "pinch me" moments :) then I noticed he got kind of quiet and I thought it best that I excuse myself so he could get ready to play in private. I gave him a hug, wished him a good gig and then went to my seat to watch the show. He was awesome that night.

After the gig, I found out that he had thrown up, right before going on that night.

He was a sensitive guy and he, like all of us, had his insecurities, and I think it was incredibly hard for him at times, to live up to his own legacy, the expectations that we as fans placed on him, and indeed that he placed on himself (we are all our own worst critics). Yet he still went out there onstage that night, sober as a judge, and did it. That's a triumph, IMHO.

Be kind. We are all human and no one is perfect.
Here's a pic from that night:

View media item 237979
Thanks for posting that, Pete. Your summation of Ed rings true.

It was 1982 and I started guitar lessons seriously here in nyc I was 12 and very late to the party....never heard of van halen...anyway was learning Beatles songs and
a kid at school said you gotta here this guy Eddie van Halen....I was a huge snob at that young age and said" no one is better then George Harrison" he then proceeded to hand me Van Halen on cassette and.........I got home......and..........yeah..........LIFE FOREVER CHANGED........
thanks EDWARD....THIS IS A TUFF TUFF PILL TO SWALLOW
GOD BLESS

From his son:

My heart goes out to you and your family wolf. You know he was so very proud of you. And it was obvious to all the fans. I remember the interview he did in front of a crowd with Q and A. He said he was honored to have made music with his father. As I know you are honored to have made incredible music with your father. The great Mr Edward Van Halen inspired so many of us. I personally have been morning as a musician and so. As well. My father is the around the same age. And he has always been my biggest fan. I am thankful he is still with me. I have not played as much as I should in the last several years. The lose of a wonderful pathfinding musician, legend and most of all father to you, has inspired me to make music again. Thank you wolf for your gift of music. Thanks to your late father for paving the way of innovation for us all. We look forward to great things and the Van Halen legacy continuing. God Bless.

I feel compelled to say something. It's nearly impossible to imagine what the state of the guitar would be like without Eddie Van Halen's massive contributions. His influence is undeniable, and his talent and imagination are unforgettable. A huge loss, but he'll be back if he ever really left at all.

It's important to note that as far as I could tell, he really tried his best to live a healthy lifestyle and beat the demons for a really long time now. I'm talking diet, exercise, and a real hardcore commitment to eliminating vices.
I visited with him backstage in Oakland in 2012, on the ADKOT tour. He was in great spirits, he greeted me with a big bear hug and a kiss on the cheek, he always did that! All heart! I remember him showing me a pic he'd just found of him in the mid 70's with a Sound City 50w amp, he remarked that he loved that amp- so cool! I'd never seen him with a Sound City. We talked for a little bit, sitting on the couch in his dressing room and he was noodling on the guitar, warming up.. he actually asked me "how do you warm up before gigs?" I replied, somewhat dumbfounded, that I do the same thing! Just tried to get my fingers moving... it was of course one of those "pinch me" moments :) then I noticed he got kind of quiet and I thought it best that I excuse myself so he could get ready to play in private. I gave him a hug, wished him a good gig and then went to my seat to watch the show. He was awesome that night.

After the gig, I found out that he had thrown up, right before going on that night.

He was a sensitive guy and he, like all of us, had his insecurities, and I think it was incredibly hard for him at times, to live up to his own legacy, the expectations that we as fans placed on him, and indeed that he placed on himself (we are all our own worst critics). Yet he still went out there onstage that night, sober as a judge, and did it. That's a triumph, IMHO.

Be kind. We are all human and no one is perfect.
Here's a pic from that night:

View media item 237979
Somehow I missed this post! So glad I found it!

Thank you!

Trending Topics