• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Official Thead: RIP EVH Eddie Van Halen

Comments

Heart breaking. An absolute legend.

Yes! But he left us a lot of 'legacy ' quotes and great music behind.

It took me a long time to realize how great he was .
After his 'Beat It ' Solo - I was a total believer - Eddie was one of those rare Soloists ( like George Benson , or Eric Johnson , for example ) who could do very chops heavy virtuoso Solos -AND be very memorable - he was kind of 'UP feeling' too .
I heard some beautiful Guitar at the end of the movie Twister - atmospheric beautiful tones, kind of heavenly - I actually looked in the credits ( I never do that !) to see who it was. It was Eddie and Alex Van Halen !

I regret that Eddie and Steve Lukather did not do a duo Album together...that would have been epic.

So many great musicians have come forward ( like Steve Perry talking about Van Halen the Band kicking Journey's Ass every night because of Eddie' great Rhythm Playing locking in with the drums ! I was shocked when I saw videos of EVH great time feel from Rhythm to Lead ['and all points in between' ].

Be sad but celebrate his genius . I still watch some of his live video performances and even smart Jazz Guitarists ( like Pat Metheny and others held him in very high regard).

Steve Vai said Hendrix and Then Van Halen were the two big quantum leaps in Rock Guitar ( paraphrased not a quote ) .....

Yes! But he left us a lot of 'legacy ' quotes and great music behind.

It took me a long time to realize how great he was .
After his 'Beat It ' Solo - I was a total believer - Eddie was one of those rare Soloists ( like George Benson , or Eric Johnson , for example ) who could do very chops heavy virtuoso Solos -AND be very memorable - he was kind of 'UP feeling' too .
I heard some beautiful Guitar at the end of the movie Twister - atmospheric beautiful tones, kind of heavenly - I actually looked in the credits ( I never do that !) to see who it was. It was Eddie and Alex Van Halen !

I regret that Eddie and Steve Lukather did not do a duo Album together...that would have been epic.

So many great musicians have come forward ( like Steve Perry talking about Van Halen the Band kicking Journey's Ass every night because of Eddie' great Rhythm Playing locking in with the drums ! I was shocked when I saw videos of EVH great time feel from Rhythm to Lead ['and all points in between' ].

Be sad but celebrate his genius . I still watch some of his live video performances and even smart Jazz Guitarists ( like Pat Metheny and others held him in very high regard).

Steve Vai said Hendrix and Then Van Halen were the two big quantum leaps in Rock Guitar ( paraphrased not a quote ) .....
It’s funny, the best it solo didn’t do much for me. Eddie’s forte to me was his rhythm playing and he didn’t play rhythm in Beat It.

Thx for posting I’ll need to watch this, just the snippets I heard:
Ed played bass on Hot for teacher? Wow, didn’t know that!
And there is a bass matching intro of it??? Would love to hear that!!!!

Hey fellow VH friends, I found this today and absolutely have to share here. I think an AMAZING listen if you love VH. Apologies if the link is here already somewhere. Cheers!

I watched this this afternoon, some interesting stuff!!!! Thx for posting it!!!

Hey fellow VH friends, I found this today and absolutely have to share here. I think an AMAZING listen if you love VH. Apologies if the link is here already somewhere. Cheers!

Top Bottom