Oh but it is about the money.

GuitarGuy66

Silver Supporting Member
I love playing with my band, but I also love getting paid at the end of the night. We bring a lot of gear to our gigs, and it's a lot if work getting everything ready for the show. Lights camera action. When the house lights go down and it's showtime, we deliver the goods and everyone has a great time.

We play private events, so it's not our job to draw the people there, it's our job to entertain the people that are there. We don't gig a lot, maybe a 12 - 20 times a year. We have a busy wedding season and a busy Christmas Party season. It keeps it fun for us. Everyone has lives, kids family etc. so not having a weekly grind keeps our gigs fun and fresh.

Nothing like getting handed that money after a job well done.

:aok

Unnecessary

Good for you. I get to play music that I create, that I like to hear, and that the people who attend my shows enjoy. Sometimes we make money, sometimes we break even.
Nothing like having people tell you that the music you make inspires them or offers them something they haven't hear 1.6 million times.
:)

Echoes

There is a WORLD of difference between another person telling you that your artistry, creativity and work- "it isn't about the money"

and the person THEMSELVES stating "you know, it isn't about the money"

that phrase isn't for someone else to determine for you ;)

Scratchyrat

POW ! That's what I'm talking about .. It has gotten to the point you can't make a $100 per person in a band around here unless your a three piece. Its easier for me to book as a solo doing restaurant / winery gigs making more than I ever would in full local band.

Guitarworks

I love playing with my band, but I also love getting paid at the end of the night. We bring a lot of gear to our gigs, and it's a lot if work getting everything ready for the show. Lights camera action. When the house lights go down and it's showtime, we deliver the goods and everyone has a great time.

We play private events, so it's not our job to draw the people there, it's our job to entertain the people that are there. We don't gig a lot, maybe a 12 - 20 times a year. We have a busy wedding season and a busy Christmas Party season. It keeps it fun for us. Everyone has lives, kids family etc. so not having a weekly grind keeps our gigs fun and fresh.

Nothing like getting handed that money after a job well done.

:aok
Sounds like a great gig. Not too much of anything or over-doing something to make it a headache.

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
sometimes insisting on situations where you get properly paid serves as a good "bulls**t filter", preventing you from getting sucked into amateur-hour productions that end up being no fun either.

GuitarGuy66

Silver Supporting Member
Sounds like a great gig. Not too much of anything or over-doing something to make it a headache.
We've all done our time in various cover bands over the years. At some point I went from being the young hotshot to taking my place among the old guard. Not sure when it happened, but it's not a bad place to be.

We are in a town of 10,000 and with most small towns, there was always "that" band. You know, growing up whenever there was something going on, it was always "that" bad that got the gigs. Growing up I think the band was "The Buffalo Band" typical country/old rock band. Lots of members passed through that band, almost a rite of passage. At 14 I played keyboards in a wedding band, we did all sorts of songs (1984 was the year) gimme some lovin, Won't get fooled again, baba o reilley, All of my love. They loved what I brought to the band. It was a good time.

As I got older we formed cover bands, playing things like black crowes, poison etc. we had the big hair, the spandex lol it was something else. Had a good 4 year run with another band, but by then there was a "new" "that" band. Again, they would get all the big gigs in town, and we had our place, in the local bars.

The band I'm in now, we are all older, more variety in our song list. The guys in "that" band are all retired or close to it, the idea of lugging gear around isn't as appealing to them anymore. So they've basically called it quits. The frontman which the band is named after has some Heath issues, so they might get out once a year, if that.

So we are more and more becoming "that" band that gets all the bigger gigs, the weddings, NYE at the big venue. It's a good place to be, and like I said, the odd time we might have 2-3 gigs in a month but there's also times when a month or two might sneak by.

As a band everyone has their role, and we are all genuine friends. There's no egos or infighting, we throw each other solos all the time, or trade off here n there. It's a lot of work and we have a great sounding & looking rig, no one in the surrounding area can touch us, with our variety of songs. Everything from AC/DC to Dwight Yokum, to Tragically Hip to Doobie Brothers to you name it.

Like I said, a lot of work involved, bet everyone chips in and it's a good time. Then we do up what gear we can to be ready for load out in the morning. We all meet for breakfast, then we load up and roll out.

The money is good, obviously done bands make more, and some bands make less. I keep the rig in tip top shape. In fact, I just picked up a new crossover, so tonight ill roll my subs & tops out of the trailer and into the garage, hook everything up and make sure everything is all shipshape.

Music is my life, I love seeing people dance, sing along and having a good time.

Might as well make some money at it!

jads57

Silver Supporting Member
I always need to get paid, because I'm a proffesional. You don't expect a Doctor,Plumber,to work for free either. The problem is there are way too many hobby/amateur musicians who are willing to do it for free, and people generally can't or don't care about the difference. Wouldn't it be great if all you guys with real day jobs had someone come and offer to do your work for free as well.
Please don't confuse being a real musician who has to play almost any kind of music with people who are strictly trying to become the next entertainment star. Musicians never ever made that much any way. It's just that the current economy doesn't really need musicians. I'm not only sad for me, but for music in general. We are at an all time low in what is called music these days!

GuitarGuy66

Silver Supporting Member
sometimes insisting on situations where you get properly paid serves as a good "bulls**t filter", preventing you from getting sucked into amateur-hour productions that end up being no fun either.
No kidding. I have a day job, and it our Unions 60th anniversary next year. 3 of our band members are in the union through work. I ran into a guy at a jam who had heard of me, he works at the plant as well. He was interested in getting the band to play at the event. (We've been in talks with people organizing it as well.) he figured we would or should do it for free, since we are all union brothers etc.

I said we are brothers, but I just can't do it for free. It's in our local arena and we will need a decent amount of gear (I can cover it for what's needed. And I'm doing Prom the weekend before, so I can leave the rig set up on the mobile stage for that. Ill have to add more monitors for our band etc, but 80% of the gear will be set up, which works out really good for us) but like I said he kept saying "well so and so thinks it should be free" I smiled,shook his hand and said "it's ok brother, we have plenty of time to work out the details"

A month later we were playing at a local festival, and after we were done the same guy came up and said "holy **** you guys are really freaking good!! I understand now why it's not for free" I said "see man, this is why there's money involved, it's all good, we will work it out"

Now he gets it lol.

tiktok

Silver Supporting Member
No kidding. I have a day job, and it our Unions 60th anniversary next year. 3 of our band members are in the union through work. I ran into a guy at a jam who had heard of me, he works at the plant as well. He was interested in getting the band to play at the event. (We've been in talks with people organizing it as well.) he figured we would or should do it for free, since we are all union brothers etc.

I said we are brothers, but I just can't do it for free. It's in our local arena and we will need a decent amount of gear (I can cover it for what's needed. And I'm doing Prom the weekend before, so I can leave the rig set up on the mobile stage for that. Ill have to add more monitors for our band etc, but 80% of the gear will be set up, which works out really good for us) but like I said he kept saying "well so and so thinks it should be free" I smiled,shook his hand and said "it's ok brother, we have plenty of time to work out the details"

A month later we were playing at a local festival, and after we were done the same guy came up and said "holy **** you guys are really freaking good!! I understand now why it's not for free" I said "see man, this is why there's money involved, it's all good, we will work it out"

Now he gets it lol.
Awesome. You're in the Musicians Union, right?

GuitarGuy66

Silver Supporting Member
Bit of a disconnect here.
I teach guitar 3 days a week, play in my band, provide house sound for different venues and DJ. Here's my upcoming oct & nov:

Oct 10: open mic
Oct 11: sound gig (out of town)
Oct 13: sound gig (out of town)
Oct 18: Band gig
Oct 25: DJ gig
Oct 31: DJ gig
Nov 7: sound gig
Nov 14: open mic
Nov 22: Band gig
Nov 28: Band gig
Nov 29: Band gig
Dec 5: DJ gig
Dec 12: open mic
Dec 20: DJ gig
Dec 31: Band gig

Plus my regular 40hr/wk job.

I keep pretty busy, music in all forms is a passion.

GuitarGuy66

Silver Supporting Member
Awesome. You're in the Musicians Union, right?
I'm up in Canada trying to figure it all out. Got some information here & there, I have to sit down on the phone with a union rep and get it all figured out. I know the venues aren't union, and if my other band members aren't in the union, will I be banned from playing with them?

Looking into it. I do claim all income & then there's expenses as well. That's all above board. Being legit lets me bid on bigger projects. The local Canada day festival doesn't want to hand over $2500 to some Joe Blow, they want a receipt, income for me, an expense for them. The gov't gets their share and everyone's happy. I can depreciate gear, my gear trailer, write off a portion of my property tax, utilities, part of my truck payment, insurance etc etc etc. I don't want to claim a portion of my mortgage because when it's time to sell, it would be a capital gain. I just keep it simple.

phil_m

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
Gold Supporting Member
I always need to get paid, because I'm a proffesional. You don't expect a Doctor,Plumber,to work for free either. The problem is there are way too many hobby/amateur musicians who are willing to do it for free, and people generally can't or don't care about the difference. Wouldn't it be great if all you guys with real day jobs had someone come and offer to do your work for free as well.
Please don't confuse being a real musician who has to play almost any kind of music with people who are strictly trying to become the next entertainment star. Musicians never ever made that much any way. It's just that the current economy doesn't really need musicians. I'm not only sad for me, but for music in general. We are at an all time low in what is called music these days!
I fixed my sink on my own last night... I suppose I was stealing work from some local plumber.

The economy has never really "needed" musicians. People may have been willing to pay for certain things more in the past simply because there were less entertainment options vying for their attention.

jads57

Silver Supporting Member
phil m did you use a Youtube tutoral to fix your sink? You are absolutely correct the landscape has changed tremendously in the last 10 years for some better and some worse. And all anyone can do is adapt to the changes as they occur. But I can say w/out a doubt with out real musicians, arrangers, etc. the actual music (not lyrics) SUCKS! This goes for any style you can name as well.

spakuloid

I don't charge for playing. I charge for gas, drive time, loading in, setting up, rental of my $10K PA system, My IEM's, batteries, strings, sound guy, lights, fog juice, backup amps, tear down, loading out, my SUV, my insurance, and my time being away from my family, friends, and many other hobbies. The playing - that's all for me. I only charge if they request dumb ****.

Now isn't that a cool story bro?

Gas-man

Unrepentant Massaganist
I always need to get paid, because I'm a proffesional. You don't expect a Doctor,Plumber,to work for free either. The problem is there are way too many hobby/amateur musicians who are willing to do it for free, and people generally can't or don't care about the difference.
Tough to be a "professional" when a good portion of the work (gigs) can be done by non-professionals and no one can tell the difference.

Trending Topics