Oh Guitar Center you make me sad.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Tele81, Mar 22, 2019.

1. Tele81

Tele81 Member

So I just wanted to rant really quick. I know everyone is tired of the GC bashing threads but I don’t have a lot of guitar buddies locally to vent to who can relate. I go in today and I see a used seismic 2x12 cab. I ask the first sales person what speakers are in it? He says “Good ones! Sounds great!” I say “No, like what speakers?” He takes a look at the cab and says well from the looks of it pretty big ones. I tell him thanks you. I spot the next sales person and ask what speakers. She says let me look that up. Comes back and says “12s”. Thanks...... Next there are a ton of different Gibson models on the wall. I inquire about one of the models and ask what pups come in it.. “gibson pickups “ I’m told. I ask no I mean what models. He says all the higher end Gibson’s use “real gibson pups”. That was today’s experience. Last time I was there they had a used Splawn Street rod Combo. I asked if I could use a delay pedal to test the loop. The guy come and hooks it up for me plugging the pedal into the front of the amp. I then have to explain to him what an effects loop is. This is the norm here for the most part. That’s all, sorry if I annoyed anyone just had to vent.

2. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Same here in Reno. They had a Splawn 4x12 cab and didn't know what speakers were in it. They said they didn't know how to check. I told them to bring me a drill/screw driver and I would check, they said they couldn't do that.

3. DiPa

DiPa Silver Supporting Member

You gotta do your own homework when you go into GC, those sales team aren’t on top of the music gear field like a Sweetwater sales rep, realize they get paid min wages.
    I think today with the internet, you can find pretty much a lot of the info.

TankerHead, egregion, Brion and 24 others like this.
  4. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Well, for instance, I went on the Splawn website and they offer different speaker choices, so that doesn't really work unless you can see the speakers.

5. Tele81

Tele81 Member

I realize that and I do pull my phone out. I just feel like damn, I should be able to ask the most basic of questions and get a somewhat informed response. In the least can’t they look it up and tell me? Expecting too much I know....

massacre and Terry Hayes like this.
  6. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

7. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

So instead of being exasperated with the underpaid completely untrained sales clerks
    who probably will be fired for asking questions - why don't you go like this:

1. I want to know what model of speakers are in this cabinet?
    Do you know what model? And if not can you get a screwdriver
    so I can take the back off and see for my self?

2. I'd like to know what model of Gibsons vast line of pickups are in
    that xxx Gibson up there on the rack. I googled it and it says XXX
    pickups - can we take it down and check it out?

In that way you not only improve your experience at Guitar Center - but you'll
    make the tech a better Sales Clerk - and on your next visit you are going to be
    the 'knowledge' guy they can ask questions....seriously.

egregion, dalezjc, Tidbit and 30 others like this.
  8. Tele81

Tele81 Member

My sales people couldn’t tell you the difference between a vibrato, chorus or delay. Mayyybbeee one or two of them are into gear and know. I get it they’re paid to stock the shelves and run a register.

9. Tele81

Tele81 Member

Agree to disagree here. That’s like me asking a waiter or waitress about something on the menu. They “in my opinion” should know what comes on the bacon burger. Anyone selling anything should at least know a little about the product. I mean if I were selling something I might at least try to know a few things about it. Like I said maybe I’m expecting too much.

10. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

No it's not. How many guitar stores with gear are around there in Beavercreek Ohio?
    And while I agree it's not your place to educate the unwashed retail masses - it
    will also improve your life - get you what you want - with the minimal amount of
    pain. That's the point - not to teach anyone a thing - but to improve your life when
    you have to go to Guitar Center.

Miketheslav and HEAVENandHELL like this.
  11. budglo58

budglo58 Member

Unfotrtunately the totally untrained professional is everywhere because no one seems to think training has value. Its the way it is right now . Most of us trained people are retiring or leaving for better jobs and these are the people that are left . Dont blame the people, blame their employer who certainly get what they pay for.

12. gretschplayer

gretschplayer Member

Want a better answer? Ask a better question.

egregion, Smgbad, mdubya and 6 others like this.
  13. budglo58

budglo58 Member

i verify everything tbh. Google is my friend. Most places are hit and miss. Some are really good , some are bad. It doesnt take long to find out which one you have. I treat those like the self check out line at the store. You do all the work and it doesnt save you a dime.

14. teefus

teefus Silver Supporting Member

online sales are pretty funny too. i was looking for a combo amp this past summer and thought about checking GC online. they had quite a few that interested me. the photos all looked like terrible cell phone pics. out of focus and hard to really see any detail. i emailed and called about a couple of the ones on the short list. i asked does everything work, no scratchy pots, etc. the response: ya, we wouldn't take it in if there was a problem. uh-huh, right. i asked if it has been serviced, all original, etc. response: maybe. don't know for sure. you have to go with your gut with GC purchases.

Thumpalumpacus and Tele81 like this.
  15. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

DiPa nails it. GC is good for some things, terrible for others, and it can vary tremendously both store-to-store and salesdude/ette to salesdude/ette. Know and anticipate this going in and you can score nicely from time to time

CBHTele, HeavyCream, fretless and 2 others like this.
  16. Tele81

Tele81 Member

There are four stores, and no I do not have the same experience at all of them. Beavercreek is a suburb of Dayton which is a decent sized city. I know it’s not anything I can change. Which is why I posted just to rant/vent.

Terry Hayes likes this.
  17. Tele81

Tele81 Member

Wasn’t going after the sales people so much as the total experience when I go in there.

18. gulliver

gulliver Supporting Member

It's like when I went to the wine store and asked an employee about a certain bottle of wine and he said, "I don't drink wine".

stratohiker, massacre and zuel69 like this.
  19. Tele81

Tele81 Member

Not sure what you mean here. I asked what pickups, I then got more specific and asked which models. He had no idea that there were even different model pickups. What more should I have asked? And thank you for the great insight you’ve given me. All is good in the universe again.

20. JCW308

JCW308 Supporting Member

If GC was a vending machine, GC employees would be the drivers that stock it full of stuff. They really don't know jack about anything.

McShred and tonalvision like this.