Oh, Humble Guitar Strap

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Timbre Wolf, Dec 6, 2005.

1. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

I was reflecting on all the gear changes that I've gone through, over the years, and I realized that the only thing that hasn't changed is my guitar strap! I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this ode, but our guitar straps are such humble workhorses, there's not even a clear section in which to discuss them.

It's a simple strap: 3-1/4" wide black (none more black) leather, adjustable length, soft, supple, and reliable. I don't even know who made it, because there's no manufacturer's label on it - that's how I like things: sans advertising. I bought it in 1984, from a local music store that has since gone out of business (sometime after Guitar Center came to town). Cost less than $20 when I got it, if I recall correctly.

I learned to play electric guitar with this strap. Since I got it, I've been through dozens of flings, and I'm now on my second (and last) marriage, and the strap has seen it all. It has "hung in there" through hundreds of gigs, countless hours of practice, and been connected to nine or ten of my current-favorite guitars.

The point is, that this strap has been the most lasting investment in music gear I've got. Tell me about yours.

- T

2. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

I got you beat. The Earth III black strap with white lightning bolt that I have always used on my 1979 Les Paul Custom has been with me since 1981.

3. george4908

george4908 Member

Upping the ante: I still have the black Gibson leather strap that came with my '73 Les Paul. Guitar long gone; kept the strap. It's retired from active duty.

4. mbratch

mbratch Member

My long-lasting gear items are:

Alvarez Yaro signature classical I bought used in 1975
    Thomas Organ Cry Baby Wah Wah I picked up used in 1976

5. Guy from Idaho

Guy from Idaho Member

I still have my old Ace floral-design fabric-on-leather strap that I bought in 1969, right after I learned Jimi had one like it. It's delaminating though, and the leather is kinda rotted away, so I don't actually sling a guitar on it anymore :cool:

6. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Wow - a '69 strap. Sounds kinky! I'd like to see a photo.

Alright, some of you've got me beat with the old stuff! The oldest "gear" I've got is a 1951 Sylvania 12AX7 (which sounds quite fine!). Meanwhile, I'll keep on rockin' with my relatively young whippersnapper strap, and see how long it lasts! I hope to go on rockin', like Link Wray, until my final days (hopefully decades from now).

- T

7. RL in Fla

RL in Fla Member

Tuning fork and some metal National fingerpicks , all '64 vintage .

8. RupertB

RupertB Supporting Member

My wife recently gave me a "Comfort Strapp" for my BD. When removed the old strap, a plain black nylon Dunlop strap, I noticed that the price sticker was still on the inside of the leather end: $3.99. :AOK

9. Cobra

Cobra Supporting Member

I still have my first leather guitar strap I bought in '75, a 3" wide, rust colored job. I've logged so many hours on it that it started to crack where your shoulder & neck meet, like alligator skin, literally gallons of sweat have changed the rust color to something completely different, & the strap button holes have broken through so many times that I had to shorten it's length to the point where it became unusable, at which time it retired to a prominently diplayed hook for posterity. Talk about an old friend... I think of all the other gear that changed, while that strap remained constant. I guess guitarists are just strange...

10. SarasotaSlim

SarasotaSlim Member

I found a listing on EBAY a while back that had Duane Allman's guitar strap. It eventually sold for way over $1000 - I don't recall how much exactly. While reading about it I noticed that it was made by Zebo in Sarasota and that made me feel good 'cause I also have one that Zebo made for me and it's still in pretty good shape complete with the "mystery weave" on one end. It's about 25 - 30 years old now and yes I'm very attached to it. Zebo made lots of leather items for folks in his shop on Main Street in Sarasota for many years. It's sad to see the mom and pop shops go.