oh my god Muddy Waters

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by minorseventh, Feb 3, 2008.

1. minorseventh

minorseventh Member

why did i just discover him now??! i feel like my whole life has been a lie!

so I got a tele, I got a supro, a swart spacetone 6v6se, and I also got a melody maker with a supro pickup in the bridge... youd think id be able to nail this tone right...

im getting close in the middle of the afternoon on the supro (super) with the volume close to dimed... but I need to play at night and my OCD just isnt cutting it. theres a certain woodiness and girth, the gentle purrrr you know, and im not finding it.

cant afford a used honey bee... is the greer ghetto stomp in the ball park? im not opposed to hunting down weird old gear at all, but im interested in a pedal that will get me close right away. does it exist?

2. soldano16

soldano16 Member

I was lucky to see him live in a small club. It was religion.

3. playon

playon Supporting Member

What period Muddy Waters? His earliest electric stuff was an early 50s Les Paul Goldtop thru who knows what amp, (very woody sounding) then later an LP Junior (P-90) , then for many years a telecaster through a Fender amp, which is probably the sound most associated with his playing. He tuned to open G-tuning pretty exclusively, with pretty high action, and used a capo. If you are trying to cop the older stuff you need a guitar with P-90s and a funky amp, not dimed.

I also saw Muddy in a club in the late 70s... truly great.

4. minorseventh

minorseventh Member

hmm.. out of everything "rollin' stone" is the tone... so that would be his earliest electric work?
    i can play the notes, but i feel ralph macchio before he beat the devil. :BITCH

5. burner

burner Member

Fender Super Reverb is the key.

6. lakesider

lakesider Member

7. jpervin

jpervin Supporting Member

Didn't Muddy use a Gibson amp of some sort in the early 50s?

8. Jason Lynn

Jason Lynn Member

+1
    if that and G tuning doesn't get you there then something aint right. I think the floppy strings of G tuning have a lot to do with that 'wood' sound too. All my guitars take on a different tonality when dropped to G.

9. minorseventh

minorseventh Member

ive been working on going pickless for a couple weeks. i have never played flatwounds though.. could this also be a factor?

i found a youtube clip of him playing Rollin Stone with a band, using his tele.. the version I like though is just him and his guitar. also "still a fool" is a fantastic song. I dont know what records these were originally on so Im not sure of the era.

10. fazendeiro

fazendeiro Member

Well, there are some things you just can't buy,no matter how much you're willing to spend.

Have fun with the new music discovery, though, it doesn't get any better than Muddy.

11. monstermike

monstermike Member

"Rollin' Stone" is in standard tuning, no slide. Either way, Muddy stopped using open G regularly in the mid 50's - he was playing more modern blues with a full band, and didn't want to retune between songs. His standard tuned slide playing ("Honey Bee," "Standing Round Crying," "Long Distance Call," etc.) is every bit as beautiful as the open G stuff. Muddy liked singing in F and G, though, so he often used a capo.

Also, Muddy used a fingerpick and a thumbpick.

12. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

Indeed.

I "discovered" him back around '71, when I was in high school. I had a compilation album called "Sail On" that had most of the "good ones" on there.

Wore out the grooves on that sucker, to say the least.

13. Mayfield

Mayfield Supporting Member

I am in the same boat.....not sure how I missed getting on years ago....

I found some of the legends back in high school, but was so wrapped up in the Malmsteen phase of guitar that I never "got" the blues...

Found Robert Johnson in college and came to worship at his altar...

But then only found Muddy a few years back and I am in my mid 30's now.....

Maybe I appreciate it much more now than I ever could have back then. The old saying may be true.....I can feel the blues now.....

Still discovering his music and it is life changing to say the least.

ENJOY!

14. playon

playon Supporting Member

That amp was still about 15 years into the future when Muddy cut "Rollin' Stone"...

15. Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels Supporting Member

I had the good fortune to meet him several times. He lived just down the road from a music store my family owned in the 70's. Very cool cat.

According to his long time friend and rhthym player, Muddy would turn all the knobs on his Super Reverb to 10 (except reverb and tremelo), and use the volume and tone knob on the tele to get his tone and volume. This is an important part of capturing his tone. The guitar pickup's sound different when the volume pots are turned down. As the volume is rolled off, the tone darkens and thickens etc. As you bring the volume pot up it starts to open up and get brighter. Its all in the way the pickup gets loaded from the resistance and capacitance.

Of course, the biggest part of his tone is still in his heart, soul and hands. But if you want to imulate his tone, the above will help. This would be from about the late 60's forward. Most of the stuff with Johnny Winters as the producer etc. I think the late 60's and early 70's stuff with JW was some of the best Muddy had recorded.

JD

16. motis1953

motis1953 Member

I played in a club in Austin on a regular basis at a club called Hondo's (I believe it's the same room that houses Antone's nowadays) and when Muddy came to town the clubowner, A.J. asked if Muddy could use our P.A. stuff. The night of his show we were able to go to the band area and do the meet and greet. Although I felt like a complete ass I went up to Mr. Waters and explained what a big fan I was and how much his music meant to me. He held his hand out and we shook hands. As we were shaking hands he looked me right in the eye and said "Son, you ain't had this much **** in your hand in a LONG time". He was pretty old at the time and did almost the whole show sitting down but still had that badass cockiness. He'd look at a pretty young girl and reach down and adjust his member while laughing like a hyena. Truly one of the coolest humans to ever roam this planet.

17. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

I had a guy work for me who lived down the street from "Mr. Morganfield" in Westmont Illinois growing up. He had no real idea who his neighbor was. He just knew that the guy played music. Just a real down to earth normal guy....with amazing powers.

18. saxophonist56

saxophonist56 Supporting Member

back in 70's at college. his band blew bonnie rait's (sp?) band away.

we lost a giant when he died. amazing what can be done with 3 chords.:dude