Oh My Gosh!!! "The One" arrived today!! I'm SO pumped!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by vbf, Mar 15, 2019 at 4:08 PM.

1. vbf

vbf Supporting Member

OK, before getting to the pics, first, the story. I grew up in northeast OH in a lower, lower middle class blue-collar home and money wasn't just scarce, it was practically non existent. Yes, we ate every day, had a roof over our heads, and had old but serviceable clothes, all for which I'm extremely grateful!!

This was not an era of political correctness (70's and 80's) and people spoke the truth even if it was hard to hear. Basically, don't be a *****! For example, one year I went out for the football team and didn't make it. When I got home, the old man asked me if I made the team and told him no. He asked why. I told him coach told me that I wasn't fast or strong enough. His response? You better get faster and stronger. There was no participation trophy.....it toughened you up. No excuses! Be your own man and don't let obstacles get in your way? If they do? Kick their ass and go through them.

Needless to say, my first, hand-me-down guitar was a total beater acoustic that never stayed in tune and had action so high it was practically unplayable. Did that stop me? No! I played that first power barre chord on that crappy guitar and was hooked. But I needed an electric. I had no money. How did I get money to buy my first electric? I worked my ass off tossing papers before and after school. shoveled snow, swept parking lots, and whatever else I could do to make a few dollars. Much like the Third Law of Thermodynamics dumbed down means.....there ain't no free lunch.....you have to give something to get something. If you want to get, you have to sweat...period!

There was one music store near me that was 3 different bus rides and a 15 minute walk to get to. They kept all the Gibson Les Pauls on the wall behind the cash register and the rest of the guitars hung on what they euphemistically called "the poor kids wall". Yeah, no PC back in the day. But that's the way it was....I was a poor kid. Tough sh!t!! Find a way! So I'd make it to the store and ask if I could play a Gibson Les Paul and the answer was no, you can't afford it, go play off of the poor kids wall. So I did and bought my first electric.....a used Sekova Les Paul copy with plywood body and bolt on neck. BUT, what hung on the wall behind the cash register, the guitar I coveted, was a 1979 Gibson Les Paul Standard in natural finish. I remember standing there staring at it hanging up there knowing it was far out of my reach financially. To this day I remember standing there and saying out loud "one day, I'll own that guitar" and I've wanted it ever since.

The poor kids wall guitar, that I've named the PKW, started out black. But I wanted a natural so sanded the front and back and poorly applied a couple coats of clear poly and it looked......horrible. But it's the best I could do. Well, I used it in all my high school bands and dragged that thing around with me from Ohio to Florida to Virginia and lived in every attic in every home we ever owned. I found it in pieces in my attic several years ago and handed that mess of parts to a local Luthier who managed to put all back together again and make it playable. He also applied a rough brown burst finish to cover the botched clear that I applied all those years ago. I was so happy to have it playable again. I recall plugging it in and playing the first chord after having not played it in so many years. It was quite a moment for me.

OK, back to "The One". I was surfing a website last week and what did I see.....a 1979 Gibson Les Paul Standard in natural finish and I had to buy it.......it was fate.....after all these years I would finally get that guitar. It arrived today and I have to tell you that it was an amazing experience to finally own one! It plays beautifully, sounds glorious, and the guitar is in incredible condition and nearly still stock. The frets are original, the fretboard is in great condition, the case is original, and so are the pickups according to the seller. It's going up on the bench tomorrow for a look see under the hood and some new strings. Of course, I'm going to replace the black plastics with Cream because, well, that's what we do around here, right? :)

The first pic is The One next to the PKW taken this afternoon. It's so amazing looking at the two side by side......a real "that was then and this is now" moment. The rest are pics of The One.

Thanks for letting me share this story with you, my TGP friends. :aok It's been a 40 year way and man am I excited!!!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019 at 4:23 PM
  2. goodgulf

goodgulf Silver Supporting Member

Great story, awesome guitar. Congratulations!!

Scott Naylor, Jim S, DBBlues and 4 others like this.
  3. slipbeer

slipbeer Supporting Member

Very cool. That's a really clean 79.

Enjoy it.

4. jasons7

jasons7 Supporting Member

Good for you, CONGRATS!

DBBlues and vbf like this.
  5. bluesoul

bluesoul Silver Supporting Member

6. Buck Woodson

Buck Woodson Supporting Member

Are you going to name it Keanu or Neo?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019 at 10:01 PM
  7. JeffK

JeffK Member

Love it! Congrats.

8. HomeInMyShoes

HomeInMyShoes Member

I like that. A lot. Congratulations.

9. Bossanova

Bossanova Silver Supporting Member

Perfect, enjoy it!!

10. lns

lns Member

Congratulations. I can only imagine the feeling. My 1st lust was actually the YJM strat but the gas have gradually decreased as I’ve realized I didn’t sound good playing high gain with single coils.

11. Decal

Decal Member

Congrats! Your pump-itude is my pump-itude!

12. sergiodeblanc

sergiodeblanc Member

13. vbf

vbf Supporting Member

14. edgewound

edgewound Gold Supporting Member

She's a beauty! Congrats!

15. TA22GT

TA22GT Member

Enjoy your guitar!
    Back in 78 my band mate bought a LP in natural and it looked awesome. I tried to buy one in matural too but was told they rarely came in to the UK so I never got mine.
    Cool story and a great guitar to treasure.

16. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

17. sedawkgrep

sedawkgrep Supporting Member

Great story! Congratulations!

BTW - cream is going to look superb on that guitar.

DBBlues, bard2dbone and vbf like this.
  18. Dig ?

Dig ? Supporting Member

Super cool. It’s nice when things come full circle like that

19. FLYING V 83

FLYING V 83 Pedal Trading Guru Silver Supporting Member

20. Decal

Decal Member

gonna put a pickguard on it?