oh no!!!! Messed up my MIJ Tele purchase!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Gasp100, Jun 12, 2008.

1. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

Okay, here is the deal. I spent most of the day wrangling over a partscaster and just could not pull the trigger. I then was checking out some other great looking guitars and all of the sudden I got an ebay "second chance" offer for a MIJ 52RI Tele. It looks great in the pics and the price seemed in line with other ones so I went for it..... here's the rub. I just took a much closer look at the neck and now I'm almost 100% sure is a Foto flame neck!
    So, some questions:
    1. Did a "normal" MIJ 52RI come with a Foto flame neck.... ever?
    2. Are Foto flame necks on par with the standard MIJ/CIJ 52RI necks?
    3. Is it possible this is really a partscaster/frankenstein being sold as a legit 52RI?
    ALL I WANTED WAS A HIGH quality MIJ Tele with a fat(ter) maple neck that sounds and plays really nice. Now, I'm worried. Any quick help appreciated!
    Here is the auction link:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=200231416482&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=010

2. bluesrules

bluesrules Member

3. GregoryL

GregoryL Supporting Member

Sorry Gasp, I don't mean to freak you out, but aside from the neck, I'd be concerned about the weight ... 9.0 lbs. is an absolute tank when it comes to teles.

I could be mistaken, but I don't think that's an original neck, however the decal is absolutely spot-on perfect compared to my '87 MIJ tele.

I noticed there's something that appears to be silver writing on the back of the headstock - do you know what that it? I haven't seen that on stock MIJ necks.

4. Gasp100

Dude, hilarious... I guess I need to chill huh? Sounds like this was a good time for good quality for the MIJ crew. I'll hang tight and see how she plays. I do wish the guy would have mentioned foto flame though... seems odd. There is even a stamp on the back of the headstock explaining it as such.

5. Gasp100

9 pounds is okay, I've had G&L's that were 8.75 pounds and they were fine. I also don't gig so I don't have to play for hours on end with it strapped to me ;) I think if the link above supplied is accurate, it is quite possible this IS a 52RI foto flame MIJ guitar. That is fine, as long as it's quality matches the standards of the CIJ/MIJ from that time period. I do find it odd that they wouldn't make the body foto flame as well?
    The silver sticker actually denotes it's a foto flame.... :jo
    So, I guess that is what is coming... anyone know if I overpaid??? ($700 shipped). The wiring looks nice.

6. Gasp100

Here are more detailed pics from the seller. He said he bought it direct from Japan 2 months ago. I guess it is a 52RI with a foto flamed neck, non foto flamed body. I hope it plays well:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. eyeball987

eyeball987 Member

Sorry for the noobish question but I can't remember what "foto flame" is exactly. Does that mean fake flame?

8. hank

hank Member

Personally, I'd love that plank. Enjoy it! :phones

9. Gasp100

Pretty much. They devised a technique to kind of "apply" a flamed finish to non-flamed wood to try and compete with PRS and the like during the 90's. Some people consider it a cheap attempt but some people dig it. I just care about the playability, size, contour and FEEL of the neck itself. I love MIJ/CIJ stuff (especially their neck work) and I believe it's as good or better than most of the USA stuff I have played (and owned). I have never played a foto flamed neck, but I think it will be okay. I'm not really a neck snob anyway.
    :AOK