Oh no, they're going after amps now too

The Pup

No Complexity Without Value
Silver Supporting Member
I figured out how to relic my cables, but the DAW, ITB software and plug-in gui interfaces are hit-and-miss for the truly immersive experience I need.

Bigsby

Maybe it keeps the demand and prices of vintage amps down a bit. Some people want the look and ballpark sound, but they'll go for this instead of dealing with old amp maintenance.

fjblair

Gold Supporting Member
People who relic their stuff just hate their mommies.

All those years of “Pick up after yourself” and ”When are you going to get a job” and “Do you ever even THINK about putting gas in a car” had to come out in some form or fashion.
The people who get bent out of shape over relics just need their mommies.

ESW.

Some people just take their vintage gear cosplay more seriously than others.

"I want an exact replica of a 60 year old amp. No, not like that!"

I think people have been purposely relic'ing tweeds before guitars ... or at least lacquering them to control the natural wear. I think they look great.

Beer bottle stain = cigarette burn FTW. :aok

From the Fender Custom Shop ...

View attachment 319271
The only people who will notice the condition of this amp, are the same people who will be disappointed to learn that it is not a cool vintage amp.

guitarjazz

Gold Supporting Member
BTW when I retweeded an amp in 1990 I had a bolt of tweed sewn into a tweed billfold....which was the coolest. Fender, are you listening?

I want to be ahead of the curve .. I am developing a line of relicked picks, cables, tuners, and straps which will soon see production and will be available at a 20% discount to members of the TGP community

petros

The whole idea of a relic is about image. Think grunge, punk, hard rock--the screw society styles. The people waiting for a Mad Max or Book of Eli world where a Tom Waits looking guy is in the back of a shop and comes out and says, Well all I got is this beat up ole thang,. Been trashed around too many gigs I guess, but man this thing CRANKS. I'm talkin' killer sound !

I think some musicians like to project their own worn and beaten (not to be confused with tortured) self-image onto their gear, especially with guitars, and it brings them closer to being one with their gear.

It's also less intimidating for some to already have something expansive but worn out, because any new wear just blends in.

Personally, I try to keep my stuff looking as new as possible, but that's because I'm into jazz. :cool:

( Please excuse any stereotyping posted above. )

Last edited:

HeavyCream

Silver Supporting Member
This isn’t a new thing. Not even close.

The way I look at it, if you’re anti-relic, you’re probably a hypocrite wearing a pair of stone-wash/faded jeans right now :p

Trending Topics