• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Oh no, they're going after amps now too

zenas

An honest relic, a 1965 ES-330 got it from the deceased original owners son. Wish I had better pictures of because you can't see the finish is cracked on every inch of it from playing every weekend all over Minnesota's iron range. Guy said if his dad took a weekend off somebody would always borrow it for their gigs. It played constantly from 65 to sometime in the 80s when the bar band thing started to die off.
Seriously looked like something you'd find in a dumpster up close but I just loved it. Just something cool about an instrument from the golden age when players actually played in front of people and made a living doing it.
Unfortunately the last step in the natural relic process was a house fire. I'll definitely buy another ES-330 but probably never get back the magic this one had. It's last gig was my mom's funeral, two days before the fire.
But no I won't buy a new one and try to relic it to match. I'll get another real 1965 and take it the way it comes. 20200718_105533.jpg

Tech21

I think reliced gear, that is new but looks old, is used mainly by players who would like people to think they have been playing the same kit for 25 years+ (so with age it now sounds better than perfect) when in fact it is brand new and last month they were playing something totally different.
Properly age worn gear can fit like an old leather glove, if you get the right one.

zenas

Three real relics, 64 Princeton, 67 Deluxe and 66 Super Reverbs. They need new tubes, speakers and maybe a few other things now but I might just give the cabs a coat of shellac. :) 20201015_133208_HDR.jpg

badbilly77

People who relic their stuff just hate their mommies.

All those years of “Pick up after yourself” and ”When are you going to get a job” and “Do you ever even THINK about putting gas in a car” had to come out in some form or fashion.
Like folks who buy jeans with holes in them already.

Davman

I used to view reliced gear as a type of stolen valor. Now I view it as an opportunity to sell my junk gear at an overinflated price.

Yam the BOMB

Platinum Supporting Member
Like folks who buy jeans with holes in them already.
Exactly! The ripped jeans people. The hammered up wooden floor people. The “reclaimed” wood furniture people. The duct tapped up rear window in their car people. The lawn needs mowing people. The Christmas lights still hanging on their roof after January 2nd people. The baby needs a diaper change people. The don’t clean up after their dog people, etc. They ALL have mommy issues.

MogwaiBoy

I thought the OP was gonna say amps have now become DSP (Designated Symbols of the Patriarchy), currently outlawed.

2032, what a year this has been.

musekatcher

Worn is not the same as reliced. I like wear, honest wear, like the wear you get from something that saw the action it saw, because it was used a lot, drug around a lot, and experience wear. I don't see me investing in a reliced amp, or reliced anything.

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
I usually like cigarette burns, but damn! you must have gotten carried away with the solo for them to be that long and deep!

The Jaywalker

A Champ was my first amp. It looked pretty much like that without a sticker. It didn't have reverb so I traded it off along with a '58/59 Jazz Master, a classical guit, two nib Jensen speakers and some cash...all for a '69 Martin D18. Yeah, he saw me coming. Live and learn.
Still have the D18 after 47 years

Trending Topics