Oh the agony! Badger content

JackButler

Silver Supporting Member
So do I wait it out and snag a 30 watter or go for the 18 I can get now?:(
And you thought I was going to say something bad!

Guys with the 18, big enough for small clube mic'd up?
I gotta say, I have playe done at a shop a few times and it grew on me. I could easily live with that tone for a small watter!
Was going to snag a Budda 45, but I already have too many 500-100 watters now, figured the Badger might be the ticket when one of those is way too much.
Reflect with me peeps...:jo

localmotion411

Platinum Supporting Member
I think the Badger would probably fit the bill for just about any gig at ANY club, mic'ed up. I say go for it. Get one on the used market and sell it if you want to up the wattage. You may lose a little on the sale due to the 30-watter being the hot new Suhr amp instead of the 18, but it will be negligible. You may find that 18 is plenty for your use. Even when the 30 comes out, I'm going to probably get an 18 and stick with it.

rastaman

IMO you need at least 30watts for clean headroom while gigging.... contrary to what anyone says I won't agree about the 15-20watt hype. Been there, done that.

suhr_rodney

Silver Supporting Member
There are lots of posts where folks have raved about the Badger, myself included. I can't imagine any small to medium sized clubs where the Badger would not work, especially when mic'd. It is a prettly loud amp when the power scaling is dialed out.

The reasons for getting the 30 watter IMHO would be because of the tonal differences. In fact, I plan to have one of each and suggest everyone else do the same! :D

Dana Olsen

IMO you need at least 30watts for clean headroom while gigging.... contrary to what anyone says I won't agree about the 15-20watt hype. Been there, done that.
I'm with you.

If you want to use it as a platform for pedals playing live, and you're under volume restrictions, it's a great choice. I have a Badger 18w - works good for that.

I myself want the 30W version. I like horsepower - way easier to control the speaker cab (and the drummer - GRIN) with a little power. I use my original Badger with a gain pedal for leads, and it's a great lower volume amp.

If you play harder rock and have an enthusiastic drummer, go for the 30w. If you gotta play quiet, the 18w will work great. The Badger(s) are really cool amps.

Dana O.

Jay Strange

Silver Supporting Member
I say wait and don't give into Gas and save it for the 30watter:jo
I read you had mentioned it did'nt have the low end you needed,I wouldn't be suprised if your ears go right after that when you get it. I'm not one for advice on Gas that's for sure!!:crazy

Griz

At 30 watts you'll get better clean headroom, but not a whole lot more volume. I have 15, 18, 30, 50 and 100 watt amps; a loud 18 watts is very nearly as loud as 30, just grinds earlier.

The main difference between the two Badgers will likely have more to do with the different tone imparted by the output stage tubes and tranny.

Whichever you pick, it's win-win. I have the Badger 18; I'm sure the 30 will be just as rockin' in its own way.

JackButler

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks guys. I am torn!
Obvious, the 30 would indeed have better lowend?
Usually I set the amp up for light breakup and goose with OD, but when I played the 18 I thought the tone was easily there with no need for an OD< just roll off the guitar. Use a Boost for leads or thickening.

katuna

Gold Supporting Member
I'd get the 30. the 18 was not big enough sounding for me with drums. the power scaling will make it infinitely usable anyhow.

Shon Kornfeld

the 30 has a tighter low end, and more clean headroom. i dont know about actual volume, probably not much of a difference...

cr8z4life

Take this with a grain of salt as I dont play for a living. I had the Suhr Badger......loved the tone especially with the gain at about 11.........I see why it makes a great recording amp, but I got together in a band situation and through a 1x12 with a gold it got burried.....thinned out and dissapeared. I would wait for the 30.....I bet it will really be special....

I loved the badger, but it really could use some more headroom. I don't know why more amp makers who use power-scaling don't just make all their amps a hundred watts. Unless it really screws up the tone to scale it back to a 20 watt equivalent sound, it has to be the more versatile option. More clean headroom, scale the amp to the room. Is this a bad idea?

* velcro-fly *

Silver Supporting Member
I see why it makes a great recording amp, but I got together in a band situation and through a 1x12 with a gold it got burried.....thinned out and dissapeared.
That amp through a 2x12 or 4x12 is an entirely different story. I don't know of a single club in my city that I could not play with this amp and a closed back 2x12.

Steve E

Dana Olsen

That amp through a 2x12 or 4x12 is an entirely different story. I don't know of a single club in my city that I could not play with this amp and a closed back 2x12.

Steve E
The 'Fly is right. Huge difference in this amp through a 4x12 cab. I've been trying it out w/ a 4x10's Naylor cab too, but the 4x12 I played it through at Suhr's was quite a bit louder and had more bass thump than my setup.

I should have mentioned that earlier. The Badger is probably enough if you have a 4x12".

And I agree w/ ShonCAE - the 30 feels stronger and has more perceived headroom, but it's not that much louder in sound pressure. Thanks guys for keeping me honest.

Dana O.

JoeB63

Silver Supporting Member
I've gigged with the 18 watt Badger. It's plenty loud, though you might be cutting it close if you need loud cleans. I usually have the power and drive controls about 3/4 of the way up to get cleans at an appropriate level for the stage mix. So I've got a little more to go before I run out of clean headroom. So far, so good. So my answer is a qualified yes.

lgehrig4

Gold Supporting Member
Haven't played either, but based on our trade and reading some of your other other posts about the amps you like I would say that you want the goods so wait for the 30 watter.

Red Planet

Im so over 18 watts. Nothing wrong with the 18 watt Badger though.

18 watts just cant cut it for cleans the way I like them. I like clean sparkling spank with massive thump. Not 100 watter massive mind you but massive. For me 18 just wont stand up to a 500 watt Bass Amp and a Drummer that will beat the ever living tar out of a kit.

johnston

i tried the badger 30 at namm. it was pretty amazing. i'm a pedal fiend, so i'm curious how it takes pedals. pretty well i gather.

beej

Well, as discussed, it depends on what style you play. I'm usually set for edge-of-breakup, goosed with pedal for solos. The 18 W'er is plenty loud for small cubs with the right cabinet. I play in a 4-piece with another guitar player and find the Badger 18 + matching cab more than adequate volume-wise.

Other factor, of course, is cost. You can find the 18 W'ers used for around $1400 now and it'll be a while before you find the 30 out and used at that price.

Trending Topics