1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

oh..the joy of Les Paul..

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Colt, May 26, 2005.

1. Colt

Colt Member

Okay.....So I have to break down and get a Les Paul...

I've been looking for one for a little while since Chris Wilder always has to show up with his R7 w/ a real PAF and a timbucker....and his newly aquired R8, which is a beaut.......so I work at the Guitar Center on 75 in Dallas now...by the lovers Ln. exit....the one that used to be called "Tommy's house of Empowerment", but Tommy has left for the nashville store now....anyway....we have an R9 suspended high above all the other Les Pauls, in a shadowbox....so after work on monday... I had to do it....I got the big ladder out, climbed to the top of the room....and got down my lady...carefully walking down with her in hand....

I got down and plugged her into the 57 tweed twin reissue (low powered)....which is the amp I plug all guitars I'm looking at into...it's my fav. in shops....unless we have some bad plexi handwired style amps. anyway...she sounded AMAZING. she was more resonant and responsive than all the other R9's I've played at other stores...used or new.....she was SOOOOOO light, it was freakish for an R9.

Bottom line, I have to put money down, she's going into the back until I can afford her dept....she shall be mine....

and so I join the Les Paul owners...soon my friends...soon....

2. Colt

Colt Member

oh, the only thing is her fretboard isn't as nice as other guitars I've seen....not even in color...but I still love her, it's a late 03

3. Bluedawg

Bluedawg Member

Even most Gibson haters will admit that when you find a Les Paul that speaks to you, you have to grab it.

Good Luck

:cool:

4. JES1680

JES1680 Silver Supporting Member

I know what you mean.

I just picked up an R9 a couple weeks ago. It was used at a local G/C. It was the highest priced, had a few dings, but resonated through my body like crazy. Just a smidge over 8lbs. It was in pretty sad shape setup wise. I lowballed an offer and they accepted.

I imediately cleaned and oiled the fretboard as it was really dry. polished the frets, Restrung, set the action, intonation, and let it sit in my basement to re-humidify for a couple of days.

Then, I find out, that the neck is seriously out of wack. 8th - 11 frets were buzzing. Found the truss rod nut was completly loose! The PO must have been an idiot!

Anyway, after several days and many not so small tweaks to the truss rod, pots, caps, pickups, and she's one of the most rewarding gutiars I've ever had.

Part of me hates to put that kind of effort into the most expensive guitar I've ever purchased. But, I guess that seeing the potential in a guitar and the results after some work are part of the fun for me.

5. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

My new R7 friggin RULES, the historics are some seriously nice pieces of lumber.

I did the RS kit, put in some WCR's, had to set it up too but on a LP that is stoopid simple.

There is nothing like a great LP, nothing.
    Now, GO GET A MARSHALL!

6. Mr.Hanky

I hope you are not telling me you bought this based on looks alone, see PRS thread.

7. Mr.Hanky

Hey don't get pissy with me cause YOU shopped with your eyes.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?s=&threadid=84544

Ps. I have 2 with better tone so there!!

Pss my pop can beat up your pop!!

8. Mr.Hanky

Did you play it, that is a simple question?

9. lhallam

lhallam Member

Hello Jason.

I'm Lance and I'm a musicholic. ;)

10. Mcclassic

Mcclassic Member

Hey Colt, that is great, right now I'm after another used 2003 R9 at other guitar center, by the way I think Tommy had to go back last week because the coming of a new baby. Is curious how news got around, I don't know him but I know very well another assistant manager in the Nashville store and he was telling of a new manager from Tx that had to go back for some days to take care of the new arrival.

Hope you can get that guitar very soon:dude

11. MattB

MattB Member

Lets see some pics!

12. Mr.Hanky

Ok, my bad, but from your initial decription all you talked about was aesthetics, and I just got done talking about shopping with your eyes on another thread, and this looked like one of those purchases.

Hi I'm Mr.Hanky, and I'm talkin sh*t!.

What is wrong with a little ball busting on occasion?

13. Colt

Colt Member

McClassic- Yeah, he came back for a little while, he came back to see us for an hour or so even! :)

hehe, I'm def. not picking on looks alone. The fretboard is horrible...not even color at all, but it somehow makes it unique for me. The top is the most subtle flame I've ever seen on an R9....sometimes you don't even see it. there is some checking on the top and back of it.....I think it might be real and not actually done at the custom shop....hehe...it's just the first LP that yelled my name. The others like the 58 flametop at the other guitar center said hello to me.....and both of Chris Wilder's guitars want an affair with me (R7 and R8). but This is the first one that yelled my name. I love it. I'm going to get an extra case from Chris that he has lying around...so people don't see the lifton case and know what it is, I'l leave the lifton at home....sneaky sneaky....right?

It just fits me...it really does.

can someone post a link for the rs kit? what is it? I Was thinking abotu doing all the Jimmy page mods...you now, coil tapping, phase,...but I ws goign to make mine on push/push knobs and not on push/pull knobs...but who knows, I might just leave it bone stock.....the sound and playability is why I'm buying it anyway....why mess with it?....I don' tknow...

14. Mr.Hanky

http://www.rsguitarworks.net/

I put one in my 82 Custom and my new R7, they are great.
    I say do that before any pup swapping cause it will open up the sound of the guitar. It had a huge impact on my 82.

Do a search on the RS stuff, most guys love it.
    You may want to check the Les Paul forum.

15. gregc

gregc Member

I fould an R7 that is my last LP. It's so damn good I can't imagine looking any further. All stock, I'm not touching a thing! It's got imperfections in it, but I don't care cause it plays and sound like a million bucks... and cost just under 2k. Yea, when you find a good one, you gotta take her home~
    gregc

16. Dave Paetow

Dave Paetow Guest

Excellent guitar!

17. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

Hey Colt, congrats on the 59'er...I've seen that beast, glad you had the kahunas to get it down! I'll come see you at GC sometime...glad to have a TGPer there to help with our Tommy withdrawals.
    Greg

18. Colt

Colt Member

that is a gorgeous guitar there man!!

greg- yeah, I'm pumped about it, now all I have to do is get the loan. We all miss Tommy too...and I wasn't even working there when he left. Oh, we have a bunch of fulltone on the way...like a few of everything, we have a few taylor T5's, a used bruno leadman 100, a cornell plexi, a bogner, lots of matchless.....but my fav amp in there is still the tweed twin RI...but that bruno is starting to sneak up quick....so I need to get the loan to get my R9 and Dabeck fat45 before something bad happens :) see you soon Greg! I'm the chubby guy with glasses....haha I don't work thursday or sat, and I work till 5 most days, till 7 on friday, and open to close on sunday

19. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Yep. They make a good one now and again. Its all the **** in between that pisses me off. So.........for the same money.......just go to a company like heatley or even more mainstream like Hammer and get a great one EVERYTIME! :dude

Oh yeah.......did I mention F*ck Tom Murphy too? :p

Good luck with the Axe BTW Colt.........be sure to show us a Pic! :cool:

20. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

After work tonite, I get to go pick up what I hope will be a surefire beauty.
    After alot of searching, and disappointment, I finally found a '54 Reissue Black Beauty Custom LP. I talked to all the big boy dealers (Makenmusic, Wildwood Guitars, Centre City, Wilcutts, etc.) and none of these guys could help me.
    On a lark, I checked out Elderly in Michigan...and they had 2! I chose the '99 R4 in exc + condition. Stop tail too! :dude
    I have a '04 R7 darkback Goldie (that aint goin' anywhere soon) as well.
    Twin Lesters (Goldie and Blackie) at the gig this friday!
    How frickin' :cool: is that!!!

S.
    j