1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Oh, you installed hospital-grade outlets. That's nice.

Discussion in 'Home Audio (Stereo Systems)' started by twinrider1, Jul 24, 2017.

1. 2016aug29

2016aug29 Member

That's just for laughs, though. But I guess a true hifi nut could get them. The product text is fantastic:

"What the heck is it? Brilliant Pebbles is a unique and comprehensive system for tuning the room and audio system based on special physical properties of highly symmetrical crystal structures. Brilliant Pebbles has been evolving since its introduction 6 years ago at the London HI Fi Show, especially the number of applications, many of which were discovered by our customers. Brilliant Pebbles addresses specific resonance control and RFI/EMI absorption problems associated with audio electronics, speakers and cables, as well as acoustic wave problems associated with the listening room boundaries and the 3-dimensional space within the boundaries. Brilliant Pebbles comprises a number of precious and semi-precious stones (crystals) selected for their effectiveness. The original glass bottles for Brilliant Pebbles have been replaced by clear zip lock bags, which have a more linear response than glass. We employ a number of highly-specialized, proprietary techniques in the preparation/assembly of Brilliant Pebbles to enhance the crystals' inherent characteristics. The fundamental operating principle of Brilliant Pebbles involves a number of atomic mechanisms in the crystals. Brilliant Pebbles will enhance the performance of your audio system so your favorite music and even your experience playing online fantasy games will become a mind blowing auditory experience."

2. 2016aug29

2016aug29 Member

pbmw and Cactus Bob like this.
  3. Tonekat

Tonekat Member

That's it, I'm calling Dominion Power and demanding my own source of uncontaminated electrons. The hoi polloi just get it all dirty and worn out.

Flyin' Brian likes this.
  4. Al Rose

Al Rose Silver Supporting Member

Yeah, things do get out of hand. I'm a high end guy, and I dress my cables based on my engineering principles. I keep them separated, and if necessary cross at 90 degrees. But that's about it, other than using tie-wraps to help support my speaker cable at the speaker connections. I remember when these things came out. $200 for a set of 4. Really?!? FWIW, I just bought 2 yesterday at a flea market for $10 for both. Original LAPP 15KV insulators (which is what these are, just repainted). But I bought them to go on my desk as a display, because I'm a EE and do lots of work in the power industry.

Al

5. Al Rose

BTW - hospital outlets are nice because they just grip the plug so much better. Especially when one uses 12 or 10 gauge power cables, as they are a bit heavier than 16 gauge. I think WW Grainger sells them for $30 or so?

Al

cpa2guitar, Jabberwocky and soulohio like this.
  6. jerrycampbell

jerrycampbell Silver Supporting Member

I'm curious if these audio guys go out to live shows, or if it is more a pursuit of perfect reproduction that drives them.
    The few times I've heard high-end systems, I have been blown away by the detail and audio quality.

7. Al Rose

I still do. Mostly Jazz shows, with some local rock bands thrown in. Plus I gig. I've found the guys who are pursuing the "perfect" high end sound rig generally don't, or they go to classical shows. As a result, they would tell you I have too much low end in my system. :D

Al

Jabberwocky likes this.
  8. scottosan

scottosan Supporting Member

Some cables are only grounded on 1 end. That end should be on the amp side. No snake oil I'm many cases

Al Rose likes this.
  9. 2016aug29

2016aug29 Member

Those would for instance be interconnects with two conductors and a shield; the return path conductor is connected to signal ground on both ends, the shield connected to signal ground on one end. But as far as I have read, the shield should be grounded on the source side, not the amp.

Speaker cables, though ... I've seen them with arrows, but they have not been shielded. I guess you need to subscribe to the "cable burn in" theory for that to make sense.

lp_bruce likes this.
  10. loudboy

loudboy Member

An unbalanced cable with the ground lifted at one end would not pass signal. How many home stereo guys are running balanced interconnects?

pbmw and Alan Dunn like this.
  11. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

12. 2016aug29

2016aug29 Member

There is the "pseudo balanced" approach, though, with a + conductor, a - conductor and shield, where the shield is connected to ground at one end. I've just ordered some decent Klotz microphone cable and RCA connectors to make a set myself. Just to try it out without breaking the bank ...

13. scottosan

scottosan Supporting Member

since my response was a counter response to someone making fun of audiophiles of people that are above average consumers of audio gear, yes. I use balanced interconnect on my main system and there is not one piece of gear over $500, as I buy used and or repair my own gear. Also as the above post states in the pseudo approach with a shielded 2 conductor approach, which I also use. Again save snake oil mentality for the folks that market wooden knobs as sounding better

soulohio and 2016aug29 like this.
  14. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

I have a hospital-grade isolation transformer. Now I can finally sleep at night.

15. gpasq

gpasq Member

Imagine how much better it could be if it were all recorded in A=432Hz!

Ferg Deluxe likes this.
  16. soulohio

soulohio Member

i for one
    could not bear the responsibility
    of knowingly putting electrons
    in conflicts way
    by reversing the cable
    how could i sleep?

Crowder and 2016aug29 like this.
  17. Doug's Tubes

Doug's Tubes Member

When you spend more $$ on stereo equipment than you would have to spend on each artist coming to your home and playing live, you know there's a problem.

Cactus Bob, Al Rose and 2016aug29 like this.
  18. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
    Chops likes this.
  19. EdMan57

EdMan57 Member

While I so appreciate an expensive hi-fi system;I really love the challenge of piecing together a quality mid-fi system on a modest budget.

Ed

cpa2guitar likes this.
  20. Jeff Gehring

Jeff Gehring Silver Supporting Member

So I need to find out how to market artisanally mined coal (preferably on a monthly subscription basis) and a personal use sized boiler/turbine generator to these guys. OWN the utility, only use FRESH electrons.