Ohm question

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Mooncusser, Mar 5, 2006.

1. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

Hi all,

I have a marshall1960 4X12 cab. The selector on the back is set to 16 ohms. I assume the G1275's are all 16ohms as well. (I know, open it and see.) It has been said to me that this setting and combo (ohms rating ) is preffererable for Marshall SLP's
    Here is the questions for the techs (my expertise is more with tubes)
    If I order 4 new speakers at 16 Ohms, then once installed the selector should be set to 16 Ohms, no?
    Thank you for your time,
    Mass

2. Dickie Fredericks

Dickie Fredericks Member

I think if you wire them as 2 pairs in series then paralell you'll get back to 16 ohms.

Dickie

3. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

Yes....if you wire four 16 ohm speakers in series/parallel you end up with 16 ohms. If you wire four 16 ohm speakers is parallel, you end up with 4 ohms.

4. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

I will open the cab up and check the speaker specs.
    But without even doing that I guess it is safe to say (as VaughnC pointed out) that the speakers in there now are 16 Ohms each and must be wired in series/parallel. the selector on the back is in the 16 ohm position, and has been that way since I bought the cab (with the stock G1275's in there, and the unit has never been touched since it was bought)
    Thank you for all your help, as I am trying to educate and learn all of this valuable information.
    Best regards,
    Mass