Ohm Rating for Series wiring in a 2x12

dylheaven

Attempting to re wire my cab to series from 4ohm to 16 running two 8ohm ASW speakers. I've tried every which way but my multi meter is still reading 4ohms on each speaker. Shouldn't I be reading 7-8 ohms per speaker in series wiring ?

HALP

PushedGlass

Need to see a drawing or picture of what you're doing. If they are indeed wired in series and each speaker's impedance is 8 ohms, you should see very roughly 16 ohms across the cab input.

Vanyu

sp_wiring_series.gif

If you do this correctly, you should see ~14 ohms. Make sure you aren't confusing series and parallel wiring for one another. Also make sure you're taking your measurements from the input jack.

dylheaven

Okay thanks for the info ! So I am going positive to negative from one lead and vice versa ? from my cab I have a total of two inputs with four connectors one + one - I feel like I am probably making this more confusing.

Thanks again

tele_player

The diagram in post #3 is correct. Note: if you measure the resistance across each speaker, they will still read 6-8 ohms. Measure across the +/- at the jack and you get 12-16 ohms.

Also, if you follow the diagram, but switch the + and - on one speaker, you'll still measure the correct resistance, but the speakers will be out of phase with each other, and it will not sound good.

Amp jack positive lead to first speaker positive lead
First speaker's negative to the second speaker's positive (I know, that's weird)
Second speaker's negative back to amp jack negative
One long chain with each speaker providing its resistance
8+8=16

Trending Topics

Top Bottom