ohms got me down, too

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by JStizz, Jan 8, 2008.

1. JStizz

JStizz Member

i didnt want to highjack Geetar Will's thread so here we go...

ive got a Gibson Super Goldtone 30watt head. on the back its got three speaker outs... 1x16ohm, and 2x8ohms (for two 16ohm cabs, or just one 8ohm cab)

now here's my qualm: ive got 2 8ohm mono cabs... a (quite crappy) Marshall 4x12 and a VHT 2x12. id like to run both, but im not sure if its gonna damage anything and dont want to risk it.

is running both okay with my current situation? if not, what do you suggest (i dont want to buy more cabs or speakers, money IS an issue at the moment)

2. jlummaa

jlummaa Member

Two 8 ohm cabs would be total 4 ohms but you don't have 4 ohm output in your amp. I would use only one cab but it's just me.

3. JStizz

JStizz Member

would it help if i told you all the speakers in both cabs are 16ohms, or is that obvious?

4. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Supporting Member

If all the speakers in the 4-12 are 16 ohm speakers ,its either a 4 or 16 ohm cab, depending on how its wired.

This thread and the one just above need John Phillips . (Now, below..)

5. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

:)

Don't try running them both from the 8-ohm outputs - while downward mismatching is safe with most amps, these Gibsons have notoriously under-spec transformers (I'm not even sure the later upgraded ones are a lot better, although they may be) and run the power tubes really hot anyway.

The solution is to get a 'series cable', and run both cabs from the 16-ohm output. You can make it yourself if you can solder, but if not it shouldn't cost much to have someone make one up for you - it's three plugs and a few feet of cable.

6. JStizz

JStizz Member

so, with a series cable i can run both 8ohm cabs from the single 16ohm out?

7. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

Yes.

Make sure it's a series cable and not just a splitter cable though - very important.

8. JStizz

JStizz Member

so, from the way it sounds, they dont just sell series cables, and id have to get one made?