OHMS Help for new speaker

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Leaman, May 28, 2015.

1. Leaman

Leaman Member

Okay, I had a new speaker installed but failed to realize that I was converting from 8 ohms to 4. The head has two speaker outputs and says 4 ohms minimum load. The cab (now with a 4 ohms speaker) has two inputs and is rated at 8 ohms. Did I completely **** myself or can I make this work?

2. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Which speaker is the new one? And what cabinet is it? 4 Ohm speakers are not very common. Also, what amp is it?

If you do really have a 4 Ohm speaker and your amp says it can take a 4 Ohm load, then you should be good to go.

3. Leaman

Leaman Member

Head: Acoustic B200H
    Cab: A├žoustic B115
    New Speaker: EVM-15L

Am I running just one cord though?

4. riffmeister

Ah, OK. A solid state bass amp. Here's my guess as to whats going on. You could potentially hook up two 8 Ohm speaker cabinets to the head (two of the original cabinets each with their 8 Ohm speaker, for example) which would give you a 4 Ohm total load. Or you could potentially run one cord from the head to one cab, then another cord from the 1st cab to the 2nd cab. Same result, 4 Ohm total load. And the amp head says a 4 Ohm load is OK. And of course, if you were using only one 8 Ohm cab, then just use one cord. But you changed out the original 8 Ohm speaker for a 4 Ohm speaker. So now you should only hook up that one single 4 Ohm cab to your head for safe operation.

5. Leaman

Leaman Member

No wonder I could never get over 50% without worrying about blowing the speaker. So if I'm understanding correctly, hook both head outputs to both cab inputs and then test the integrity of my basement windows?

6. riffmeister

Nope. If you are using just one cab, use just one speaker cable.

If you are using two cabs, use two speaker cables in one of two ways: one cable to each of the two cabs, or one cable to one input on the 1st cab and another cable from the 2nd input on the 1st cab to the 2nd cab.

7. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Just for more clarification, your cab has two jacks and you can use either as an input jack, but you should never use them both as input at the same time. The second jack is to daisy chain to another cabinet.

Scrapperz likes this.
  8. Leaman

Leaman Member

Got it. Thanks for the help guys!