1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Ohms on a 1972 Traynor YBA-1A

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Leader, Sep 11, 2006.

1. Leader

Leader Member

I got a friend who has a YBA-1A and were gonna go crank the son of a B this weekend. He has 2, 8 ohm 4x12 cabs and I have a Marshall 1960A 4x12 @ 16 ohms. We can't find any indication on the amp as to what the impedence is. We dont wanna blow it up. Any body know what load to hook up to this powerhouse?

2. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

My YBA-1 and YSR-1 are both 8ohms so I'd guess that yours is as well.

3. Leader

Leader Member

Thats what I found out at Yorkville sound. I can't wait to hear it next to my Marshall.

4. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

Wear earplugs. :)
    My Traynor is also 8 Ohms.

5. Leader

Leader Member

Yea I got earplugs!
    This amp works great but hasn't had any new tubes for 20 years. I hasn't worked hard in the same time. Do you think we might run into problems if we dime it? The amp works fine and doesn't sound microphonic at all. My friend uses it all the time but at bedroom level.

6. doctorx

doctorx Member

The YBA-1A output impedance is 8 ohms.

Go ahead and dime it, I have two YBA-1A's and run them that way regularly. Better remove any small children and pets from the house, though.

7. Leader

Leader Member

Oh man I can't wait! I wish we had a better 8 ohm cab to use. I had a Randall 4x12 cab that I sold him with Celestion Seventy Eighties in it. Not very good quality. The cab is 8 ohms so it will match his head. I suppose we could always try it on my 1960A with nicer G12T-75's. My 1960 cab is 16 ohms so it should be fine connecting it to an 8 ohm amp... right? I could always switch my cab to stereo and use one side at 8 ohms.

So if we were to use my 1960A cab woud it be better to only use 2 speakers @ 8ohms and match the amp or run all 4 speakers @ 16 ohms?

8. lcjc800

lcjc800 Member

Point it this way...:rolleyes:

9. cameron

cameron Member

You'll get the most volume with the impedance matched correctly. But the Traynor should be fine with the mismatch into the 16 ohm cab.

If you want to run into half of your Marshall cab, be carefull as to the power rating. You should think of the YBA-1 as about a 75 watt amp - and cranked it'll be giving you peaks a ways higher than that. I expect your two G12-T75's will handle that with ease, but you should keep it in mind for future reference.

10. djem

djem Member

Check out my post w.r.t. Traynor problems. I just blew up one of my caps. Also, you really shouldn't have to dime the Traynor as it will be operating a full volume at the 3-4 volume level. I find that that is generally the sweet spot for the volume and after that it just gets messy.

Good luck!

dj

11. Leader

Leader Member

We just wanna dime it because we can!
    My DSL50 reaches its sweet spot areound 6-7 on the volume. I still dime it when I can though just for kicks and giggles! We wanna see how the thing overdrives when pushed hard.