Oil change time

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by jrjones, Apr 14, 2016.

1. jrjones

jrjones Supporting Member

How long do you expect to wait to have your oil changed? I've been sitting an hour. They took my car right back. Not sure what's taking so long.

Clonehead likes this.
  2. Tonekat

Tonekat Supporting Member

Is it lunchtime? They probably took it to the strip club.

Peteyvee, Edmond, Rimbaud and 2 others like this.
  3. Amplifier Owner

Amplifier Owner Member

They may be replacing all your working OEM parts with cheap aftermarket knockoffs. That happened to an old Fender amp I once took in for repairs.

MrLahey likes this.
  4. jrjones

jrjones Supporting Member

Apparently the snap-on guy pulled up right after they got my car in. An hour and a half later...

5. firebird1999us

firebird1999us Member

*lays in wait for the 'I change my own oil!' Crowd to arrive and decry anyone who isn't a master mechanic:eeks

I changed mine for a while - but oil disposal was such a pain in the ass and I was only saving like $10 for the whole ordeal:dunno

I wait about 45 minutes for mine every 7000-8000 miles on royal Purple synthetic:red

Tonekat and fretless like this.
  6. elron hoover

elron hoover Member

Go to a place where you can pull into the bay yourself and stay in the car while they change it. <10minutes.

Moby Dick likes this.
  7. Darkburst

Darkburst Member

Even in LA I've never waited more than 30 minutes when getting my wife's car oil changed. I do my '77 Firebird myself at a buddies place. He's a mechanic and will bring the old oil to work for disposal.

8. CC Overdrive

CC Overdrive Member

I change my own. It's about the only auto maintenance I am competent with. Saves me cash, and I enjoy the mental break while I'm at it.

Tune-O-Matic, Edmond and Darkburst like this.
  9. Jamalot

Jamalot Member

They stripped your oil pan plug and they sent a lackey to AutoZone to get a 'pan saver'

10. retrobob

retrobob Member

I waited to almost 3500 miles before changing the oil. Put in a new filter too.

11. worxforme

worxforme Supporting Member

They found that flash drive with the launch codes in your glovebox and they're stalling to keep you there until Homeland Security shows up.

Time to take a hostage and go.

12. VCuomo

VCuomo Member

20-30 minutes max (and 30 minutes only if all the bays were in use when you pulled up).

13. skydog

skydog Supporting Member

Spray the underside with skunk skreen or coyote urine; they'll give it top priority.

14. Rick Lee

Rick Lee Member

You don't need to be a master mechanic to change your own oil. It's just above putting air in your tires on a skill level. I DIY it because I don't trust strangers to work on my vehicles and have only ever had problems when I've done so. Since just about every place that sells oil has to take used oil back at no charge, I don't find disposal to be much of a hassle. I keep the 5 qt. empty jugs, put the old oil in them and then dump them the next time I go to buy more oil.

15. Rimbaud

Rimbaud Tarnished Silver Gold Supporting Member

I take my cars to Goober at the filling station..he always has a good story and if you swear (Scouts Honor) not to tell, he'll show you his nude polaroids of Aunt Bee.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
  16. Aran

Aran Member

"How long do you expect to wait to have your oil changed?"

Well first you need to hire a geologist to search for a deposit of crude then you have to refine it and...

hi-fi-dave and firebird1999us like this.
  17. mattball826

mattball826 Member

It's called a waiting room for a reason

Be patient, they'll get it done. Usually the dudes that look all fidgety and tense, and make noises like chicks in long grocery lines get the longest wait times.

Just relax... not only are they checking your oil, they are bending a tie rod or poking holes in your muffler pipes. It takes a little longer. Then they bring that big estimate for repairs.

"We did our 30 pt inspection and you need this this and that"

Rimbaud likes this.
  18. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

You must have awfully bad luck finding techs.

Maybe it's where I live but it hasn't been impossible to find competent technicians/mechanics for our various vehicles (Toyota/ Subaru / VW/ Audi/ Porsche...).

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
  19. Trout

Trout Member

Takes a lot of time to cut the access hole in the undercarriage cover to remove the filter.

Stu Cats likes this.
  20. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

i'm used to dropping it off in the morning, taking their shuttle down the street to where i work, then getting a ride from a coworker after hours to pick it up.

yes i could make a project of changing my own oil, but for the time and tools and crawling under my truck and the black crap on my hands and trying to dispose of the old oil it's just silly.